SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15 >
Topic Options
#145387 - 08/22/07 08:53 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Scottyee....that's a real nice post you wrote. One of the best I've seen on these boards. I wonder how many of the folks this applies to will read what you wrote and think about it. Or will they go back to their old ways (as some have exhibited here) to:
always attack a poster who desires to express an opinion that you don't like
always ignore the MEANING of any message that rubs you the wrong way
always spend every free minute talking about the specs on the latest keyboard rather than PRACTICE

Scottyee's posting:

I'm begining to think a lot of people prefer to argue about keyboard brand/model preferences (my kb's better than yours), etc, because they find it easier than actually dedicating the work & time required to improve their kb chops & arranger playing skills. If you own a relatively current keyboard now, simply appreciate what you got and share actual arranger 'music making' tips which benefit all arranger players. You'll be amazed how much keyboard improvement you'll notice if the amount of time spent improving one's keyboard skills replaces the time spent posting on this forum promoting the mine's better than yours attitudes. I think it far more productive to share (tips/tricks) on improving arranger keyboard playing technique and also hearing more actual 'arranger keyboard' mode music performed here.

#145388 - 08/22/07 08:57 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Its good to have Scott Yee's voice of reason back on the SZ....its refreshing!

#145389 - 08/22/07 08:59 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

#145390 - 08/22/07 09:07 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I definitely appreciate having a light compact keyboard to afford convenient gig transport.

Me too... Just my light, compact keyboard is a little heavier and bigger than yours. But it is STILL amazingly light and compact compared to what I was using, even a decade or so ago...

I still shake my head at how doggedly some refuse to actually quote my words (or others' that they don't agree with) and substitute them for their own. No-one is saying that heavier is better, We are just saying better is better, and at the moment, weight is the penalty for being better.

I don't pick my equipment with regard for it's weight... I simply pick it for it's functionality and sound. If weight is the penalty, I am prepared to pay it.

But saying one must be an idiot to play heavy equipment is as insulting as saying one must be an idiot to play less than the best arranger available. You have made that choice, for weight's sake, and good for you... I am not calling anyone an idiot for making that decision. Just stop calling me an idiot for making MY personal choice.

"Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance". Or the lack of it...

Quality and performance equals quality and performance. Nothing more, nothing less. When I can get equal quality and performance from a lighter keyboard than my G70, I will buy it. Not less, for less weight. EQUAL for less weight.

#145391 - 08/23/07 05:14 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
zuki Offline

Scott, well said

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#145392 - 08/23/07 05:29 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Good post Scott...makes a lot of sense.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#145393 - 08/23/07 11:40 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Strange, of course, that the ones actually agreeing with Scott are those who post incessantly here at SZ, rather than practicing... And, of course, by posting, rather than practicing (as he recommends), they are actually showing they DISAGREE with him, in a way...

But if Scott ever moves to a 76-er, will they STILL agree with his sentiments (which actually, apart from the last sentence, had NOTHING to do with keyboard weight)? You'd better keep agreeing with them, Scott, or they will misquote, mislabel and misrepresent everything you write...
---------------------------------------------
Common mistake.... repeating the same old line over and over makes it any more correct. Don't be fooled.

#145394 - 08/23/07 11:47 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

------------------
Roland, Korg and Yamaha too...will we ever get a chord sequencer from you?

#145395 - 08/23/07 12:47 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bigger...better...heavier...there's no clear winner here. I would be one of the "idiots", because I wouldn't get caught dead playing anything with a "PSR" in the model number. I won't play assisted living or nursing home jobs. I play my old MS-60's or my G-70, usually with a 2nd keyboard, because I think they SOUND better. And, that's what matters.

To those who play lightweight instruments at mostly retirement/nursing home functions, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT! Make lots of money. Be happy! I'll be happy for you! And I won't judge. We each have the right to "do it our way" as long as we do the best we can, keep learning, feel good about what we do and get paid to do it.

Do what's right for you, because that's what really matters.

Russ

#145396 - 08/23/07 01:42 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Glad you woke up on the RIGHT side of the bed today Russ great post very heartfelt bro

Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online