SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 15 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 >
Topic Options
#145447 - 08/25/07 07:54 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Look guys, the only thing getting insulted (if that's the right term, really, for a less than perfect technical evaluation) are the arrangers... No-one is critiquing anybody's playing. Just the gear we use.

Anybody who knows me and my posts knows I am the first to call Roland on any bonehead OS decisions, or physical controller issues, or even sounds. No Roland 'defender' I... I am not, nor ever have ganged up on Yamaha. I think they make great arrangers, the S900 is a breakthrough at it's price point, and there are MANY things about the OS that I would LOVE to see Roland incorporate. This has ALWAYS been my position.

But.... at the S900's price point, many, if not ALL workstations have FAR better actions, and a choice of size keyboard. Not to mention most other arranger manufacturers, too. Yamaha's insistence on restricting themselves to decidedly inferior actions until you get to their $4000 TOTL arranger is very shortsighted, if not to say arrogant. 'Take it, or leave it' seems to be the arranger division's mantra.

This, despite their workstation division having exactly the opposite priorities. A lot of user input went into the design for the MotifXS series, and a better action was one of the things mentioned. Plus, of course, EVERY size keyboard need is catered to. Why is this so difficult for the arranger division to achieve?

Scott's post (after he had calmed down!) basically proves my point... If Yamaha DID make a 76 arranger, he would very likely get one. Once the hackles have dropped down from the thought of ANY possible change, how many more Yamaha users are prepared to say they would be willing to try, and possibly use a 76 Yamaha..?

Quite a few, from reading the many posts on this and similar threads...

Ian.... The very fact that you mention the T2 action, and it's being used in the MotifXS, shows you are aware that there ARE better actions in Yamaha arrangers. You REALLY need to stop biting my head off for pointing this out. Maybe you could come up with a word for 'inferior' that signifies that one thing is not as good as another, and I will use it happily, just to keep the peace. But so far, it seems as if you are unwilling to brook ANY acknowledgment of the fact that, compared to just about ANY workstation, and MOST arrangers (of at least comparable price), the actions on PSRs are decidedly '..........' (insert your own choice of words for inferior).

And 'my keyboard, right or wrong' is an attitude that doesn't really engender much respect. If you aren't prepared to say that there is anything to criticize at all on a PSR (a mid-line model), well, that makes you sound an awful lot more like a paid promoter than someone actually seeking the truth.

Once again, I reiterate (God knows how many times I got to keep saying this ) this doesn't mean I think YOU should change arrangers. Play anything you want. Play any way you want. I don't care, never have.

But PLEASE, trying to dissuade the many, MANY of us here at SZ that have posted about how (insert your choice of word for crappy, inferior, toy-like) the action is on what is quite an expensive keyboard, even by other arranger standards (yet alone workstation standards), is actually you insulting US, not the other way round!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-25-2007).]

#145448 - 08/25/07 08:12 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Gee, Diki, it's not the end of the world...you must slow down a little...take a break...have a cuppa tea.

I choose my gear because I like it...no hidden Yamaha promotion stuff, no secret agenda.

I happen to like the action of the PSR-900 more than the Tyros2's action...so sue me.

You like your keyboard's qualities, I like mine...why not just live and let live?

I'm a professional player...I know what suits me...I like a light fast action and I like a 5 octave keyboard...it's perfect for me.

If what I use doesn't agree with you, or you think it has an inferior action to some other keyboard, that's okay....no big deal.

Now, please....no more bubbles.

Ian

#145449 - 08/25/07 08:42 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Now, please....no more bubbles.

a SPECIAL animated GREETING Card for Diki: CLICK HERE !

#145450 - 08/25/07 10:06 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Scott Isn't That SPECIAL!!!!

#145451 - 08/26/07 01:01 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You can go on about things you want on a board as much as you want, HOME users are NOT interested in them, and Arranger keyboards are designed solely for the HOME user.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#145452 - 08/26/07 03:32 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
You can go on about things you want on a board as much as you want, HOME users are NOT interested in them, and Arranger keyboards are designed solely for the HOME user.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

Correctomondo, Bill...the average home user would find this forum a bit daunting.

I had a new client check it out...a home user he is, and unfortunately he got here just when the racist thingy with Squeak was going on, and a few other skirmishes were taking place.

He told me he was very disappointed with the forum, and did not plan to join, or even return, for that matter.

I wonder how often potential new members are discouraged from joining the forum because of these types of issues?

Ian

#145453 - 08/26/07 04:18 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Arranger keyboards are designed solely for the HOME user.

Bill

Don't know if I'd use the word 'solely', mainly because they're starting to show up in places like KEYBOARD magazine (expensive advertising and aimed squarely at the pro market) and I don't believe the average home user reads or subscribes to those.

chas

#145454 - 08/26/07 04:18 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
welcome back to the forum Scott

has anything changed? LOL

#145455 - 08/26/07 04:53 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Keith W. Bailey Offline

Loc: New Castle Indiana USA
When I was 26, I did not even think of keyboard weight, and later when I got a keyboard I didn't even ask how heavy it was, but now that I am 73, You better beleive I want to know the weight! I still gig, and I want it to be as easy as possible!

If I quit gigging, then I will get whatever keyboard ,regardless of size or weight! It matters to me right now!

#145456 - 08/26/07 07:43 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Keith what type of sound amplification are you using on gigs?

Page 10 of 15 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online