SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 15 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15 >
Topic Options
#145417 - 08/24/07 07:40 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
nobody- to my knowledge -has been as ticked off at Diki's arrogance-some toward me personally- and has said so as much as I have. (not counting those silly g70/t2 feuds i read)but he does have a sharp mind as well as a sharp tongue, and has as much or more to offer us as anyone i have read here--and i'm more than willing to hang in there with him- on sz, information and expertise and the willingness to offer help and advice are much more important than anything else..all the other stuff is petty..and all the "nice guy" posing i see here all the time, giving each other moral support, etc.. is just so boring--like a bunch of lonelyhearts looking for love. I'm here to learn and to offer help in return, and i couldn't care less about "nice", "polite", etc. I've been insulted here by several members, and while I'm human and feel the barbs personally, i don't complain about it, I don't quit, i don't carry on feuds and grudges. I'll take one obnoxious-at-times Diki over 80% of the rest of the sz crew because he's right on 80% of the time.

------------------
Miami Mo

#145418 - 08/24/07 07:58 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Here's the way I see it...if you can't handle a dig, then top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#145419 - 08/24/07 08:22 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
...but he does have a sharp mind as well as a sharp tongue....

A great assessment of Diki.....which is why I like him. The same could be said for Sir Winston Churchill, Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain, Noel Coward, Bette Davis, Yogi Berra, ...okay, scratch Yogi for the "sharp mind" part, and a host of others that we generally admire. The thing is, you have to look at the total package.

BTW, Mo. I'd love to hear some of your sax work. For those with access to decent recording equipment, I think we (all) should consider a collaboration. This CAN be complex, though, so i'll put it up in a seperate post.

chas

#145420 - 08/24/07 01:26 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
"what?? we've had 200 posts on a thread in the past"

200 posts!!!!!!!!! Was the poster selling $10 bills for $5?

A few of you have mentioned exchanging notes about playing music (as compared to talking about the equipment). I've seen this in other groups also. Can anyone tell my WHY no one talks about "playing" as in playing technique, songs they are working on, how they're going about it, ideas to play certain songs (in certain ways), etc?

I've posted in other groups, and I find that everyone is very conversational and willing to share information until they find out I'm a professional. That brings email interaction to an immediate halt. I used to take it personal until I started thinking that everyone talks up a storm about how much expertise they have until they find they're talking to someone who DOES have expertise. I say this not egotistically, but factually.

Anyone else experience this? I, myself, would like to exchange notes on playing. I still work on improving every day and practice 2-5 hours daily on the keyboard. The equipment posts are secondary for me.

#145421 - 08/24/07 01:42 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark79100:
I, myself, would like to exchange notes on playing. I still work on improving every day and practice 2-5 hours daily on the keyboard. The equipment posts are secondary for me.

Wow, finally another sz member who shares my interest. Mark: please email me. My email address link is provided on my website's "contact" page: http://scottyee.com

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-24-2007).]

#145422 - 08/24/07 01:42 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark79100:
"what?? we've had 200 posts on a thread in the past"

200 posts!!!!!!!!! Was the poster selling $10 bills for $5?

There have been very heated discussions in the past...before the "Big Bail-out"
I cant remember the topic of the particular thread...but maybe with a search you can see the # of posts? in the last 2 years or so.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-24-2007).]

#145423 - 08/24/07 02:18 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Quite frankly, I don't think I've ever seen any discussions about playing technique or arranger playing tips on SZ (with the exception of Scott)....seems to be all about gear.

It is nice to see people interested in learning more about the trade rather than just the tools.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#145424 - 08/24/07 03:07 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Quite frankly, I don't think I've ever seen any discussions about playing technique or arranger playing tips on SZ (with the exception of Scott)....seems to be all about gear.

It is nice to see people interested in learning more about the trade rather than just the tools.

Ian

Ian,
discussions about the "trade" are common on Fora like the Keyboard Corner (at Musicplayer.com), where people talk about reharmonizations, chord substitutions, etc
and I have to admit that the level of the discussion is most of times WAY above my head, but at least I am stimulated to learn something new...

Anyway, even on Fora whose members are 95% amateurs, it's very common to exchange ideas about the best style to use for a specific song, and this is the "amateurial equivalent" of the discussion that goes on at Keyboard Corner.
Here at SZ, on the other hand, the discussion is focused mainly on the gear we use, but I have to say that unfortunately almost 80% of the opinions given are preconceived and this makes almost useless whatever advice one could receive.

We all know that there is not a thing like a perfect keyboard and so the most sensible thing to say, when giving advice, would be: "My keyboard is good at doing this, but unfortunately is lackind under this other respect".
Talking continuously about the superiority of a brand and denying what other brands can offer is pointless and also useless for the novices that come here seeking advice.
Unfortunately, this behavior has almost become a conditioned reflex, so everytime the forumite "X" writes "I am 100% happy with my Tyros 2" the forumite "Y" replies that the Tyros 2 is a plastic toy and real professionals have only one choice: a Roland G-something.
At that point the forumite X feels offended in his honour and replies something in a bitter tone and the discussion becomes quickly heated.

...Ah, I almost forget that, in the meantime, another forumite keeps repeating in the background that the keyboard you play has no relevance, because what the audience really wants is to be entertained and -to that effect- you could as well play a kazoo or do some kind of funny dance.

Does all this ring a few bells?

Now you all tell me: why should anyone take this Forum seriously?

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 08-24-2007).]

#145425 - 08/24/07 03:26 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Your post makes sense to me, Dreamer, and you're so right about this forum being a difficult place to take seriously.

I have directed several of my clients, and a few reps as well, to this site, and they were not impressed...and they did not return.

I have been in several heated discussions on this site, and no one comes away the winner...there are always hurt feelings and egos.

I enjoy sharp wit but not when it becomes a weapon to offend, or to make a person feel that they were dumb to make a certain purchase or to use a certain piece of equipment.

Someone smart enough to have quick wit should also be smart enough to know how to be courteous and civil.

I am a member of several other forums and have rarely experienced the "gear wars" that take place here.

As I said in an earlier post...it's a shame to have to wade through all the crap just to find a few insightful and helpful tips.

That being said, I do enjoy coming here to see who is bickering...lately it's just become amusing to me, especially after experiencing a near death experience a few months ago...it certainly put my priorities in order.

Ian

------------------

#145426 - 08/24/07 04:25 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
everytime the forumite "X" writes "I am 100% happy with my Tyros 2" the forumite "Y" replies that the Tyros 2 is a plastic toy and real professionals have only one choice: a Roland G-something. At that point the forumite X feels offended in his honour and replies something in a bitter tone and the discussion becomes quickly heated....Ah, I almost forget that, in the meantime, another forumite keeps repeating in the background that the keyboard you play has no relevance, because what the audience really wants is to be entertained and -to that effect- you could as well play a kazoo or do some kind of funny dance. Does all this ring a few bells?

Andrea (Dreamer): I assume names were withheld to protect both the innocent & guilty parties.

Interesting that though this forum is titled the "General Arranger Keyboard" forum, rarely has there been any interest in discussing or sharing arranger keyboard "playing" techniques, or even members actually posting arranger keyboard music played & recorded by them either. This always baffled me because I thought that a true musician desired to continually improve their musicianship & playing skill no matter what age or level currently at, and I had hoped this forum to be an inspirational catylst and exchange of ideas to achieve this. After reading this . . .

Quote:
posted by cgiles 08-24-2007:
"I don't need no stinkin' practice", I peaked 30 years ago and never got any better.-chas

it confirms what I suspected for a while now, that a many here share Cgiles's view as well, and the reason I now only drop in here occasionally to discuss non- music related matters.

Scott

Page 7 of 15 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online