SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#145467 - 08/26/07 08:05 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Wouldn't you agree the test was slightly biased towards the Roland?

You used a Roland style in the Yamaha, which did not allow the T2 to showcase it's Mega voices.

Why wasn't a Yamaha style used in both instruments?

It is amazing, however, to see how close these instruments compare.

Thanks for sharing.

Ian

#145468 - 08/26/07 08:49 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I predict the WINNING keyboard will certainly be the (or one of) the keyboards owned. No one wants to feel like they made the wrong purchase decision, especially after having spent BIG bucks and after the 30 day exchange policy expired.

Back to the keyboard weight thing. In spite of the 'never ending' snits (I fear this is quickly becoming known as the SNIT ZONE ) made by certain members, calling one keyboard: 'crap', another a 'piece of plastic junk', another too heavy, another too light, etc . . .

Fact is: all arrangers now a-days have the capability of sounding terrific in the RIGHT hands. It's up to us to put in the time (dues) required practicing to master your keyboard and make it sound the best it can.

I'm first to acknowledge that it's interesting & informative to know the pro's & con's of each brand/model, and perhaps fun to speculate the subsequent future offerings, but I'm also convinced that there's a huge 'over fixation' by certain members, continually comparing + wanting to predict what the next KB will be, despite facts not known yet, and suspect it may be simply an excuse (crutch?) to avoid discovering & mastering the full potential of the keyboard already owned. Am I wrong?

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-26-2007).]

#145469 - 08/26/07 08:58 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Dnj Offline

Scott nice observations ....but I sometimes think its more that people think a new model KB will make them sound better ....rather then the PLAYER making themselves sound better

#145470 - 08/26/07 09:12 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee: I predict the WINNING keyboard will certainly be the (or one of) the keyboards owned. No one wants to feel like they made the wrong purchase decision, especially after having spent BIG bucks
this certainly seems to be the case, except for one (i guess he'd have to considered perverse) dude named Miami Mo--who always finds things to knock re the KB's he buys-- seems he's proud to be saying: "mine's WORSE than yours" LOL

------------------
Miami Mo

#145471 - 08/26/07 10:30 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott wrote:

"but I'm also convinced that there's a huge 'over fixation' by certain members, continually comparing + wanting to predict what the next KB will be, despite facts not known yet, and suspect it may be simply an excuse (crutch?) to avoid discovering & mastering the full potential of the keyboard already owned. Am I wrong?"

Mark speaking: It seems that Scott is the only one to figure this out. Either that or everyone else knows it but it's not to be discussed out of political correctness.

The reason it bothers ME so much is that I live in a musically isolated part of town (that town being the United States). The language spoken around here is money (as in "show me the money!"). There is very little concern over artistic creativity for financial or altruistic reasons. There is just about zero sharing of musical ideas among musicians here. Everyone plays their cards close to their chest!

How many of you feel that a room specifically set up and designated for those who want to discuss creative "ideas" rather than the latest equipment would be appreciated and useful? I, personally, would welcome input from others. I'd also like to share what I'VE learned in years of entertaining on stage.

#145472 - 08/26/07 11:03 PM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark79100:
There is just about zero sharing of musical ideas among musicians here.

How many of you feel that a room specifically set up and designated for those who want to discuss creative "ideas" rather than the latest equipment would be appreciated and useful? I'd also like to share what I'VE learned in years of entertaining on stage.

Hi Mark, as I replied to you earlier in this thread (page 2), I too share your desire in discussing arranger keyboard playing techniques, and exchanging creative music making ideas. It will be interesting to discover how many others here actually share our interest as well. Only this will determine whether a new sub-forum dedicated to actual arranger keyboard 'music-making discussion' will be worth adding.

Mark: Interestingly enough I sent an email to you to the email address you provided in your SZ profile:
bobsmith@temporaryinbox.com , but never heard back from you. Is this your current correct address? If you want to contact me, a link to my email address is included on my website "Contact" Page.

Scott

Scott Yee Entertainment

#145473 - 08/27/07 12:00 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
[B]Roland Korg and Ketron TOTL arrangers are designed for pros, but lo and behold! A lot of home users play them...
B]

Hi Diki
If Korg, Roland, and Ketron did design their TOTL arrangers for the gigging/studio musician, then they made the biggest mistake ever, this is because if you ask any dealer you will find that the sales to gigging/studio musicians of TOTL arrangers is miniscule, whereas home uses lap them up as fast as they can make them.
In truth as I said previously, arrangers are designed solely for home users, however gigging/studio musicians are now finding they are also great for live/studio work, and so in the future this may change, but at present the home user is King.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#145474 - 08/27/07 03:57 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'll tell you what's amazing. What's amazing is how much energy, thought, and time goes into figuring out new and cleverer ways to regurgitate the same tired arguments over and over again, ad naseum. I think that we know by now that:

1. my keyboard is better than yours (that's why I chose it, dummy).

2. 76 keys is better than 61, except for midgets or those with very short arms.

3. Heavy keyboards are better than plastic, toy, crappy, lighter ones (if you're a 21 yr. old weightlifter in training) but light ones are better if you're an out-of-shape old geezer who hasn't yet given up cigarettes.

4. A laptop on stage will solve all of your problems, including your musical shortcomings.

5. Playing an arranger, using SMF's or mp3's, is cheating, EXCEPT under the following 183 conditions...........

4. Whatever gets the job done, baby...

5. "That (tune you just posted) was very good, you've got a nice voice" .....code for "YOU SUCK".

6. If we complain enough on this board, the manufacturers will listen to us (or possibly even hire us as "consultants").

7. Home users are a bunch of low-life losers whose opinions are worthless. Only us working "pro's" have the "RIGHT" answer for everyone.

8. We need to practice more and post less (Physician, heal thyself).

9. Droping the chord sequencer (which the overwhelming majority of G1000 users never used anyway) was the single biggest mistake and worst corporate decision Roland has ever made.

10. The important thing is to keep your (drunken) audience entertained (except in the nursing home where everyone is deaf anyway).

11. Chicken Hats are a GOOD thing....

12. Civility is better than common sense.

12. Enjoy whatever you play (but mine is still better than yours).

Feel free to add to this list of things we probably don't need to do another 100 post thread on.

BTW, I wonder if the new T3 will have 76 keys. Probably. Nah. Maybe. We could sign a petition (from the PRO users of Synthzone) and send it to Yamaha. That should do it.

chas

#145475 - 08/27/07 04:09 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The Tyros2, PSR, G70, E-80, and Korg PA series are all marketed as home keyboards(which they are), in my area.(Eastern Canada)

Ketron products are conspicuously absent.

Staff at the stores tell me that arrangers (all brands) are seldom purchased by pros(although the number is increasing) and the majority of buyers intend the instrument for home use.

I am told that most new arranger owners already have good playing skills, and are people who are interested in or fascinated with new technology.

Average buyer age is around 45-60.

The majority want instruments with built in speakers, and, strangely enough, many either purchase an add on speaker system, or seek instructions on adding the instrument to their home entertainment system.

A good number of pro buyers are singer/guitar players, with some keyboard skills, who are looking for a SMF playback instrument on which they can also do some recording.

Pro keyboardists in bands/duos in my area tend to buy the higher end Roland RD-series as well as the Yamaha CP series...essentially digital pianos with expanded soundsets and SMF players.

Sales of 76 note arrangers are VERY low...home users wanting more than 61 keys tend to purchase the Clavinova CVP or Roland KR series and seem to desire the full 88 note range as opposed to 76.

Just some observations from my neck of the woods.

Ian

#145476 - 08/27/07 06:03 AM Re: those who complain about keyboard weight
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Wouldn't you agree the test was slightly biased towards the Roland?

You used a Roland style in the Yamaha, which did not allow the T2 to showcase it's Mega voices.

Why wasn't a Yamaha style used in both instruments?

It is amazing, however, to see how close these instruments compare.

Thanks for sharing.

Ian

Ian, I did my best not to have any bias toward either keyboard.

The G70 converted style(Club Bossa) for the Tyros2 actually was preferred over the native T2 Slow Bossa when compared. So even though the Club Bossa converted did not use megavoices.

No, I didn't use converted Yamaha styles on the G70, I don't care for the way they sound played thru the G70.

Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online