SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 14 of 26 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26 >
Topic Options
#107687 - 08/24/06 04:54 PM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Oh and can u import a wav drum sound and use it as a multi pad?

#107688 - 08/24/06 06:43 PM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
I talked to a guy at Yamaha yesterday for some info about
certain features on the 3K, guess it was a slow day at the office, so we kind of shot the breeze and got chummy,and he told me that he felt if you didn't need the special features on the 3K, he advised saving money and buying the 1500 which
he said was every bit as good, a lot cheaper, 2lbs.lighter.

THEN I pumped him to reveal info on what's coming up..
he confided that there will be NO new 76-key akb in the
foreseeable future from Yamaha--that they tried 76's
in the workstations, and they just don't sell. Sorry to be
the bearer o bad tidings for those who were holding
their breath. btw, any of you who chose T2, did you also
try Ketron SD-1+, which is the same weight and a 76..?
Miami Mo

#107689 - 08/24/06 09:17 PM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Dnj Offline

Thanx for the info....no surprise about NO 76 key model coming next from Yammy re: arrangers....
The 3100 or what ever they call it will most likely be a less featured "mini me" of the T2 IMO.
SD-1 is another animal in a good way compared to the T2.....try to check one out & do a search here on the SZ its been discussed many many times.

Good luck

#107690 - 08/24/06 10:10 PM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
I am feeling guilty for not inquiring into Scott Yee's health, even though it looks like he's all better now.

Hey Larry, I'm back in the game again. Recently learned it was food poisoning (not the flu afterall), form eating out at a new local (El Salvadorean) restaurant. After contacting the local envirmomental health dept, learned several other patrons had got sick (possibly from the cheese?) there as well.

Yamaha's past PSR release date track record (PSR2000/3000) signify that the PSR3000 succesor won't be out till next year (spring/summer). In addition, my reliable Yamaha sources (Japan & UK) have assured me that they've heard NOTHING about the PSR3000 succesor having anything else but 61 keys, citing Yamaha's recent past financial sales disaster with the 9000pro. Larry, I trust that your gigs in the Chicago Area are continuing to go well. It would be great if you could post some recent songs recorded by you on your PSR3000.

Scott

#107691 - 08/25/06 05:00 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rolandfan:]T42 i have no knowledge of importing samples into a keyboard but i am curious to know more. So the Tyros2 accepts new sounds as long as they are in wav format? Now did u find that sax wav sample on the net? Or do u have to buy such samples? Or did u create it yourself... Im trying to figure out if i do buy a T2 would i be able to actually get high quality sounds off the net to further enhance the T2... And how difficult is it to actually allocate the sample to the T2... Obviously the dimm cards must be installed for all this....sorry 4 asking so many questions... My T1 couldnt do that

The Tyros 2 accepts both WAV and aiff format.
You can use high quality sounds off the net to enhance the T2 or even buy sample CD's in these formats and create sounds yourself.
Allocating samples is fairly straight forward once you get used to it and the instruction booklet tells you all the ins and outs of doing this.
You basically call up the wave import function, select a desired element and add your wave. The hardest part is setting up the options, but you can have more than one wave per key (not sure if the maximum is 8 per key as this is all new to me at the moment).
You could in theory create a huge steinway piano WAV that has multi samples per note all velocity switched, piano heaven here I come

#107692 - 08/25/06 05:46 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
T42, in the past all keyboard samplers have come up short..The multisampling you mention is the only way to achieve a good playable sample..It will need more than 8 sample points[unfortunately this is the average limit, and worse yet the limits on sample size..Good luck if you think you can come up with a decent multisampled piano..I have never heard a great user sampled piano yet...The factory has far superior methods and facilities to sample and edit sounds to be playable...I am not sure if great samples can be loaded into today's keyboard samplers and sound as they were designed to play..

For novelty sounds the keyboards sample ok...but how many pot drops or shouts are really needed..

Sorry, I can't share your excitement about keyboard samplers..I have been there, and already know the limitations..
Most of my experiences were on the Ketron X1[considered one of the better samplers]..I also go back to the old Roland samplers..and the Ensoniq Mirage..

Thankfully we don't have to rely on user samples..there are an abundance of sounds available from the factories in expansion cards...and they are done right..

#107693 - 08/25/06 06:14 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
T42 Offline

Originally posted by Fran Carango:
T42, in the past all keyboard samplers have come up short..The multisampling you mention is the only way to achieve a good playable sample..It will need more than 8 sample points[unfortunately this is the average limit, and worse yet the limits on sample size..Good luck if you think you can come up with a decent multisampled piano..I have never heard a great user sampled piano yet...The factory has far superior methods and facilities to sample and edit sounds to be playable...I am not sure if great samples can be loaded into today's keyboard samplers and sound as they were designed to play..
For novelty sounds the keyboards sample ok...but how many pot drops or shouts are really needed..
Sorry, I can't share your excitement about keyboard samplers..I have been there, and already know the limitations..
Most of my experiences were on the Ketron X1[considered one of the better samplers]..I also go back to the old Roland samplers..and the Ensoniq Mirage..
Thankfully we don't have to rely on user samples..there are an abundance of sounds available from the factories in expansion cards...and they are done right..

Hello Fran, I can't say I agree with your last post above.
The Tyros 2 has more than 8 sample points, I was referring to the amount of samples you can assign to each individual key, not just 8 samples per sound created.
I've already heard a great 300mb Steinway multi sampled piano on a Tyros 2 (fair enough it may take about 12 minutes to load in) and even a 5mb alto sax sample I have sounds better than the SA sax and any alto sax in my opinion on any current arranger.
Things have also moved on considerably since the days of the Ketron X1 and others you mention, they were in the ice age compared to the current sampling technology.
As for expansion cards I never liked any for my previous keyboards. I've always found that doing your own sounds are far better than buying someone elses offerings. For every sound you like on an expansion board there are just as many rubbish ones if not more and they are expensive.
From reading peoples posts on SZ since I joined I can see that you love your G1000 and are a dedicated Roland user.
Roland produce some great products but I don't think the G70 or new E80 allows the user to load in their own samples into a maximum of 1 gig user space? Those users are limited to what Roland sells on expansion cards, so I wouldn't want to be limited in that way being a professional entertainer and sound developer.

#107694 - 08/25/06 07:39 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Hi T42, My most recent sample playback instrument was the rack mount Roland 5080,,it also accepted user samples..AIFF and Wav...still the problem I find is playability with dynamics..and most important evenness across the board with no noticeable sample points..It takes a lot of skill to come up with a multisample piano..I don't even think some manufacturers did it right with their flagship models...The only one I like is Rolands Grand x on the G70 and the samples on Roland's RD700sx.. They also have great pianos on the expansion cards..

To me the Yamaha's lack a mid range quality in their pianos.. and Korg is not quite what I like to hear..As always this is personal opinions...

Many of my Pro friends would agree with me..that when it comes to sampling ...let the pros do it..Matter of fact most of the players I know , could care less about the sampling feature for the same reasons I mention..

Someday I would like to hear your samples that you are happy with...I would hope someday that they all [brands] would meet my expectations..

If you record any of your sample work, give me a link to it, I would love to check it out...Fran

#107695 - 08/25/06 07:50 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
T42 Offline

Fran, you'll certainly be able to check my samples out if I decide to release them on CD for the T2. I'm only using them for myself at the moment and it's something I've only just started working with now I've got a little bit more spare time.
Only thing is you'd have to buy a T2 to hear them on. Go on be a devil, I know you secretly want to own one

#107696 - 08/25/06 08:06 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

T42, just record yourself playing your piano sample using dynamics..I just want to hear your sample..not play it...The Tyros2 is not in my future..It sounds fine, it just doesn't have the things I need..especially the keys..range[76] and feel..

I wish you the best with your Tyros2..Send me a recording of your playing the piano sample when you get a chance..Thanks

Page 14 of 26 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online