Posted by: Dnj

Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 03:47 AM

3k demo/video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyV7dFzVkvM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDiCAgpTbaU

You decide......?
Posted by: T42

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 04:37 AM

Nice demos DNJ by a decent player, but the 3k is certainly no T2 after listening to the songs played. It does come in a very close 2nd place though and is great value for money. The 3k's replacement which may be out early next year should bridge the gap between the T2 far more.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 04:43 AM

Donny,

Having owned two PSR-3000 I must say it is a powerful keyboard and is the equal of the Tyros1 in my opinion.

The Tyros2 is a different matter...it is light years ahead of the 3k(and T1) in terms of keyboard action and the SA voices and extra Sweet voices are definitely a cut above the great sounds in the 3k.

I enjoyed my time with the 3k immensely,and I still have one as a backup, but once I began playing the Tyros2, there was no going back.

It was well worth the difference in price and I have no regrets in making the purchase.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 04:57 AM

Ive owned both, & performed with both....but to me and MY NEEDS the 3k is more then enough, plus you can use T2/T1 & so many more converted KB's/3rd party styles.....there's too much UNEEDED stuff that I never use on the T2 for MY act & the way I play...SA/HD/Sampler/Buly wide design/
No speakers, were a few user/navagational decision making features for me, some call the 3k a toy?.....
I call it a cash register.....the future? who knows?
I'm not knocking the T2 at all its a very fine instrument .....just stating that for MY Needs on stage its overkill vs the better suited 3k.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-22-2006).]
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 05:02 AM

I'm very happy with my new PSR3000.
When I was at Long & McQuade, they had a PSR1500, PSR3000, and a Tyros 2. I saw the Tyros 2, but didn't dare play it.
Starkeeper

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 05:13 AM

Starkeeper you made a fine choice with the 3k....depends how you look at it for YOUR Needs....many pros use the 3k every day with much success.If it makes you happy its priceless.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009338.html

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 06:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
Ive owned both, & performed with both....but to me and MY NEEDS the 3k is more then enough....

DNJ do you mean you've had a T2 and 3k in the past but now just use the 3k?
Did you sell the T2 because you find that the songs you play you can do on the 3k alone so the T2 was overkill for what you wanted? I'm just a bit confused here as there are far too many previous posts to read and catch up with and surprised someone who has had a T2 would want to get rid of it. If I had a T2 and 3k, the 3k would be the first to go.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 06:18 AM

Which of these has a sequencer, how many tracks, and if using SMFs, which is easier to utilize, change/mute voices, volume, etc., especially in a 'live' situation?
thnx,
t.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 06:34 AM

T42 yes I had both...sold both, tried many others.....& for Me & My Style of performing can do it all using the 3k/Lt no problem.....the rest as explained above is useless to me. Dont let the hype git ya its all good

Posted by: GlennT

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
...it is light years ahead of the 3k(and T1) in terms of keyboard action and the SA voices

I've played both and I'd say a notch, certainly not lt years... IMO

Glenn

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Dont let the hype git ya

I suppose this applies to the G70 as well?

Fortunately the hype around the Tyros2 is legitimate, and for many pro players it is the ideal instrument.

Your decision to use a 3k is perfectly logical...for your needs.

For me, I prefer the enhancements on the T2...it suits my style of playing and I love the improved action and the aftertouch, as well as the SA voices(lovely stuff!), larger screen, and more accessible panel controls.

I can tell you are satisfied with the 3k and I'm glad you finally found the instrument that does the job for you.

All the best,

Ian

------------------
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 07:36 AM

Quote:
Dont let the hype git ya

Donny: Sounds more like another pissing contest here.

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:

Hardly a notch. Having gigged with both myself, I find the Tyros a big improvement in both sound and important features. The T2's SA voices, ability to expand instrument sound palette (create & import 'brand new' WAV voice samples) and new improved keyboard action offers one far greater instrument emulation playing EXPRESSION not possible on the PSR3000. This coupled with Text Lyric display tied to registration, and the ability to easily record your performance directly to the HD makes the Tyros2 a complete live performance keyboard production package.

Though I've owned my Tyros2 for nearly 10 months now, I'm continuing to discover exciting new features about this powerful keyboard. This includes most recently learnng how to CREATE & IMPORT into T2: 'brand new' WAV sample voices, plus customizing & adding multi-velocity triggered effects (pitch bend, mod, etc) to them, similar to the way Yamaha's Super Articulation voices work. Tyros2 continues to assist me in taking my music performance to new heights.

Scott

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:

Glenn

I agree Glenn.....thanx for the reply.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 07:53 AM

quote: From Scott Yee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dont let the hype git ya
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donny: Sounds more like another pissing contest here.

....let's not start one .......
t.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 07:56 AM

Quote:
I suppose this applies to the G70 as well?

Fortunately the hype around the Tyros2 is legitimate, and for many pro players it is the ideal instrument.

Your decision to use a 3k is perfectly logical...for your needs.

For me, I prefer the enhancements on the T2...it suits my style of playing and I love the improved action and the aftertouch, as well as the SA voices(lovely stuff!), larger screen, and more accessible panel controls.

I can tell you are satisfied with the 3k and I'm glad you finally found the instrument that does the job for you.

All the best,

Ian

The G70 was actually a turning point in my finicky buying practices....I'd buy & sell my tools of the trade driven by hype...but another lesson learned in life my friend.
I almost bought another T2 until I dug deep into my needs basket & realized after A/B'ing the 3k was the obvious choice For Me. I'm sure the next model Hype will drive people scurrying the market places also...its a never ending cycle. But for now the 3k is MY Ticket!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
quote: From Scott Yee

Tony not my intention at all...I like both models....just asserting MY preference....
didn't you see above I said
"Its All Good "

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Hardly a notch. Having gigged with both myself, I find the Tyros a big improvement in both sound and important features. The T2's SA voices, ability to expand instrument sound palette (create & import 'brand new' WAV voice samples) and new improved keyboard action offers one far greater instrument emulation playing EXPRESSION not possible on the PSR3000. This coupled with Text Lyric display tied to registration, and the ability to easily record your performance directly to the HD makes the Tyros2 a complete live performance keyboard production package.

Though I've owned my Tyros2 for nearly 10 months now, I'm continuing to discover exciting new features about this powerful keyboard. This includes most recently learnng how to CREATE & IMPORT into T2: 'brand new' WAV sample voices, plus customizing & adding multi-velocity triggered effects (pitch bend, mod, etc) to them, similar to the way Yamaha's Super Articulation voices work. Tyros2 continues to assist me in taking my music performance to new heights.

Scott

Scott thats great Im glad you enjoying your T2 for your needs it works.....for my needs the 3k is fine for now & sounds great......
no need to go "EN GUARDE" (Definition of en garde in the Online Dictionary. Meaning of en garde. Adj. 1. en garde - in a defensive stance)

Funny how you get dropped from the A list when you dont use the KB of the elite

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 08:23 AM

Quote:
Funny how you get dropped from the A list when you dont use the KB of the elite

A list? Elite? Nah. . .nothing to do with what keyboard you play. As I've stated b4, I think the PSR3000's a fine keyboard, and I'm happy to hear you find it working best 'for you' again. As I've always said: It's all about making 'music'. In the right hands, you can make terrific music with a $99 Casio too. Donny, looking forward to hearing a new tune from you buddy - Scott

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 08:27 AM

Quote:
A list? Elite? Nah. . .nothing to do with what keyboard you play. As I've stated b4, I think the PSR3000's a fine keyboard, and I'm happy to hear you find it working best 'for you' again. As I've always said: It's all about making 'music'. In the right hands, you can make terrific music with a $99 Casio too. Donny, looking forward to hearing a new tune from you buddy - Scott

Making the music sound good is the easy part for me .....being comfortable while playing it is a bit harder When my schedule lightens up I'll grant your wishes ok?
Posted by: HankB

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 08:56 AM

I’ve doubled my pleasure and doubled my fun with two G-70’s my pissing contest is won.

Hank

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 09:29 AM

Quote:
Tony not my intention at all...I like both models....just asserting MY preference....
didn't you see above I said
"Its All Good "

...... I didn't think so .....
t.
Posted by: rolandfan

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 09:31 AM

The Tyros1 sounded much better than the PSR3000 to my ears... But not to take anything away from the 3000...its a great board too...but a Tyros it aint.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rolandfan:
The Tyros1 sounded much better than the PSR3000 to my ears... But not to take anything away from the 3000...its a great board too...but a Tyros it aint.

OK, some would disagree......but I respect your opinion and thanx for the reply.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rolandfan:
not to take anything away from the 3000...its a great board too...but a Tyros it aint.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I suspect Donny's current (flavor of the day) assertion that the PSR3000 (vs Tyros2) is somehow BETTER for him "now"(?), has "more to do" with cash reserves (after having purchased, sold, traded & swapped so many keyboards in just a few weeks & months) more than anything else.

Scott

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:02 AM

I'm inclined to agree with you, Scott.

Ian

------------------
Posted by: RobertG

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:12 AM

Scott: Stop goading Donny into a fight.

All: I choose the T2 because of the excellant solo sounds to explore musically and the HD recording option. If you don't need those things for what you are doing musically or want internal speakers the 3000 is a reasonable price-effective alternative.

Notice I made the above statement without denigrating anyone else's choice or any other instrument. See, it's not so hard.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertG:
Scott: Stop goading Donny into a fight.

I believe Donny's thread topic itself: "Do you really need a Tyros2?", the wide open invitation.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:21 AM

Quote:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I suspect Donny's current (flavor of the day) assertion that the PSR3000 (vs Tyros2) is somehow BETTER for him "now"(?), has "more to do" with cash reserves (after having purchased, sold, traded & swapped so many keyboards in just a few weeks & months) more than anything else.

Scott

Scott where do you buy your crystal balls to read the future? Funny how your assumptions are mostly always wrong.....that flu is going to your head .......?
Posted by: Diki

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:22 AM

Quote:
But for now the 3k is MY Ticket!

For NOW......... (Sorry, Donny, had to say it )

For ME (warning - personal opinion!), If I got a Yammie, the T2 would be my ONLY choice. Those SA voices are simply astounding, and can be got in no other Yamaha product.........

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-22-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:24 AM

I see Scott wants Macho Tyros 2 Supremecy, but this time we're arguing same brands too Hmmmmmmmm?......sorry bud not gonna do it.........Nigel please get the lock out soon.

Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:27 AM

I don't know what you guys are fighting about...I don't like either of the PMR's....

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:43 AM

Hank you definitely are the winner here..

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
For NOW......... (Sorry, Donny, had to say it )

For ME (warning - personal opinion!), If I got a Yammie, the T2 would be my ONLY choice. Those SA voices are simply astounding, and can be got in no other Yamaha product.........

Diki.....I'm hearin thru the grapevine that the new G90 will have Rolands version of SA voices.....coming soon can't wait

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:45 AM

I will repeat this ..the G70 is the best arranger on the market...period!!!
Posted by: tyrosman

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:48 AM

donny i dont under stand what you are talking about when you said: scott is taking this to another level. he never that the psr 3000 is bad.infact he said it was afine keybord & by the way fran the tyros 2 is the best keyboard by the way nigel no need to lock this thread out.

[This message has been edited by tyrosman (edited 08-22-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:51 AM

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree with you, Scott.
Ian

I respect your opinions......
but the SA voices although nice for some dont impress me, maybe more for home players .....sorry.
The 3k does a fantatstic job, although the T2 is an awesome Kb for some, there are many great Pro arranger players like
Gary D, Uncle Dave, Eddie Shoemaker & others who Im sure can afford a T2 still play the 3k.....must be a reason?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I will repeat this ..the G70 is the best arranger on the market...period!!!

Ha Ha ha...Fran you are a funny guy...it is a real joy to have you on this forum.

Nothing like a bit of levity to break up the seriousness of this thread.

Ian the Amused

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:01 AM

Ian!!!!!!!!!!

[img]http://cdn-aimtoday.aol.com/aimtoday_kisses/shutup[/img]

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-22-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:01 AM

Donny...... you must have a better grapevine than me (or some good cabernet!).

Roland have a long row to hoe before adding SA voices will worry Yamaha. And, while imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, why not re-introduce a feature that NO-ONE else has?? - THE BLOODY CHORD SEQUENCER!!)

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:02 AM

Now who said the SZ was getting boring?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:04 AM

Quote:
Ian!!!!!!!!!!

[img]http://cdn-aimtoday.aol.com/aimtoday_kisses/shutup[/img]

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-22-2006).]

Don't try to be smart, Fran...it doesn't suit you.

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:05 AM

well said ian

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:05 AM

Diki that is my grapevine[always reliable]..My opinion the G70 is already better sound wise to the SA Tyros2.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Donny...... you must have a better grapevine than me (or some good cabernet!).

Roland have a long row to hoe before adding SA voices will worry Yamaha. And, while imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, why not re-introduce a feature that NO-ONE else has?? - THE BLOODY CHORD SEQUENCER!!)

Diki the wine sounds good
but do I detect your leaning toward a possible switch from the G70 to a T2 & join the Scott Yee elite Yamaha circle ?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:08 AM

I don't have to prove how smart I am ..it is evident...I don't own a Yamaha!!!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:15 AM

Quote:
I don't have to prove how smart I am ..it is evident...I don't own a Yamaha!!!

I don't intend to get in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, my friend, so I'll let you go on your own delusional path.

Do yourself a favor, ditch the old Roland, and get into the groove with a Tyros2...you'll even be able to smile again, and your IQ will increase so much that you won't need SMFs.

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:27 AM

Well I did my job..I livened this place up...now I am out of here..to much BS ing...here..

Yamaha...give me a break...
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:28 AM

Here's a different twist. Not that it matters to anyone but....... I'm impressed with the positive feedback from Donny on the 3000 especially since I gig with one too. Gary Diamond as we know another very successful pro uses it as well. What impresses me that I'm using what 2 of the big guys here use. I'd would have bought a Tyros 2 in a heartbeat. But have not for several reasons:
1. Does not have 76 Keys
2. Would the T2 make get more gigs ( probably not, I need to keep practicing more than buying a new board.
3. I value my marriage after what I've spent in the last few years on keyboards and equipment I don't care to use the services of the divorce attorneys I work for.
4.At this point if I were to invest more in equipment a Bose PA would be more in order.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-22-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:33 AM

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH !!!!!!

When someone says "The XYZ 1234 keyboard is the best keyboard on the market ... PERIOD !!!" , we must understand that this is OPINION, not fact ...

"Definition of fact (noun)
something known or proved to be true"

No one has proved that any one kb is "the BEST ... PERIOD!!!"

It is only a "fact" in the mind of the beholder, and therefore only OPINION ... perhaps agreed to by many others, but STILL only opinion ...

When someone says "I respect your opinions...... but the SA voices although nice for some dont impress me," .. again, that is OPINION ...

However, Donny, saying "maybe more for home players .....sorry.", shows no respect for those those pros who have chosen a board other than the 3000 ... and not ALL the talented pros live in the tri-state area of NJ, PA, and MD ...

Quote "The 3k does a fantatstic job, although the T2 is an awesome Kb for some, there are many great Pro arranger players like Gary D, Uncle Dave, Eddie Shoemaker & others who Im sure can afford a T2 still play the 3k.....must be a reason? "

Yes, there is a reason ... it works FOR THEM ... not saying the Ty2 wouldn't, although I understand that for whatever reasons (and no doubt they are valid) it did not work FOR YOU ...

get the key, Nigel ...
t.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:36 AM

Donny, not a chance in hell!! But I will buy the first Yamaha product that puts SA voices in a rack..... I must say I disagree with your assessment of them - as a horn player, I have to admit that the SA Sax is the first thing I have EVER heard that comes close to a real sax's playing style, with legato and staccato actually sounding like the real thing.

For 20 years, since the introduction of affordable sampling, I have been asking fruitlessly for the Hammond organ percussion type of triggering for synths and samplers...... Polyphonic voices, with a single-trigger, polyphonic layer for the start of phrases. This is what STILL makes B3's so expressive. You can emphasize the start of legato passages by lifting your fingers for a split second, get the percussion voices to emphasize the start of the phrase and continue playing legato with no further sound from the 'attack' sound. Perfect.......

It's only taken them 20 years to start to realize how much more expressive this makes sampled voices, especially. 8)

This triggering system, combined with a pitch-ribbon for bends and trills can get you spectacularly close to real horn phrasing.........

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
....... I'm impressed with the positive feedback from Donny on the 3000 especially since I gig with one too. Gary Diamond as we know another very successful pro uses it as well. What impresses me that I'm using what 2 of the big guys here use.

Steve only you can make a KB what you want it to...if ya got the chops & experience you'll go along way and lead the pack......if ya dont you can surly learn by practicing, watching, listening, asking questions, its an ongoing process....the 3k is an excellent way to make music.....& so is the T2.....some have to substantiate the cost as you can see by the passionate postings here, myself I bought one but it wasn't in the cards to be the right choice this time around as were also others...
no big deal its just a KB & I move on.
Bottom line, my philosophy is ,
talk is cheap lets hear what ya got, common people post your 3k & T2 songs for us all to listen and learn from shall we?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:47 AM

Tony, my opinion is the only one that counts......................................................................................................TO ME!!!!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:50 AM

Unbelievable post..Two pages about absolutely nothing!!!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:55 AM

Quote:
Unbelievable post..Two pages about absolutely nothing!!!

Commmon Fran....theres something to be learned here by reading ALL THE REPLIES

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 11:57 AM

Like who are your friends and who are not..

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 12:30 PM

Quote:
Like who are your friends and who are not..

Who said we were FRIENDS ?!?!?... seems more like family to me
t.
Posted by: Impuls

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 12:37 PM

Everyone knows Tyros 2 is the best.....Yamaha keyboard .so what ?

Impuls
Posted by: miden

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 12:46 PM

i'm very happy with my PA1X-Pro..the only board imo that is equal to the T2, dare i suggest mebbe a bit better, overall...
dennis

oops!!!! did I say THAT.......

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 08-22-2006).]
Posted by: keysvocalssax

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 12:47 PM

any of you not thrilled with your T2: want to trade up (like add some cash or other items) for a 3-month old Genesys ProS w/matching sound system and wheeled gig bag?
Miami Mo

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 12:51 PM

Fran....... preaching Christianity to the Muslims won't get you many friends, either. I was under the impression this was a DISCUSSION board, not an evangelical board.

'Mine is better than yours' is what is tearing apart society. You've got to go a lot deeper than that before you are just another shrill voice in the babel.....

Re-read your posts, and substitute the word 'Yamaha' for 'Roland' - now do you sound like an ass......?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 01:44 PM

I think the cheaper PSR3000's sounds and styles are superior to the g70. On another note remember there is a reason why the Tyros1 is MUCH more expensive than the 3000...plus it has 32mb extra for the sounds...I wish Yamaha would make the 300mb wave rom of T2 public

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 01:47 PM

Quote:
the SA voices although nice for some dont impress me, maybe more for home players .....sorry.

If THAT ain't a low blow to home (vs pro) players here. Frankly, I think some of home players are better musicians than some of us (including myself) pros here, but that's another story.

That said: SA voices will 'deliver the goods' to both pro & home players alike but only if you take the 'very short' time to tweak its settings & master its unique playing technique. The Tyros2's SA voices are an impressive STANDOUT for LIVE performing keyboard players because it allows you to SHOWCASE thru playing expression: the variable sound characteristics of the instrument. I only say that my audiences remain in awe of the the SA voices I use, compared to what they heard when I played the same instrument voices on Tyros1 and the PSR2000 before that. Perhaps if one primarily relies on SMF backing tracks to sing with, the SA articulation voices may be less important, but for the LIVE performance keyboard player (home player or pro) who does a lot of instrumental soloing, Super articulation voices are a must have godsend. - Scott

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 02:09 PM

This post seems to be getting a bit silly.
I've only just joined SZ and already see loads of posts like this one.
At the end of the day who really cares if a musician needs a Tyros 2 or not, it's not the end of the world.
Everyone has diferent tastes and bank balances, some people love Yamaha sounds and styles others like Rolands, Korg etc.
I only got my T2 because to my ears the sounds, styles and features for the money were exactly what I was looking for.
I'm sure DNJ already having had the T2 in the past knows what he is missing and if he doesn't use the features that are missing then he is better off with a 3k anyway.
It's the same for everyone, if you are happy with what you have then forget what others think about it. There will always be someone out there to tell you that your keyboard is worse than mine or you should have bought this make or that etc, just enjoy making music with what you've got, that's all what matters to me.
Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Gem, Ketron..... each to their own!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by T42:
This post seems to be getting a bit silly..........
It's the same for everyone, if you are happy with what you have then forget what others think about it. There will always be someone out there to tell you that your keyboard is worse than mine or you should have bought this make or that etc, just enjoy making music with what you've got, that's all what matters to me.

Yes, but if you are happy with what you have, are happy just making music etc., etc., why post here at all? Seems like 'I'm ok, you're OK' where's the fun in that?

I don't mind ANY amount of discussion about arrangers, but what I want to hear is DISCUSSION, not 'Mine is better than yours, period'.

Tell me WHY...., show me something yours can do that mine can't...... EXPLAIN why you prefer it..... and (if you have any balls at all) say what you would like improved, and why!

Read my posts..... I am passionate about the G70, it IS the best arranger FOR ME, but it doesn't end there.... I am not afraid to say what I would like improved, I am not afraid to say what features and sounds I like from other arrangers (or workstations), I am not afraid to say anything for fear of others going 'why do you still use it, then?'.

And I want to hear posts from people that feel the same way........!

I really would like you all to go back and read some of your posts since the whole p*ssing contest started, substitute another manufacturer's name (the one you hate the most would be good!) for YOUR arrangers name, and then see if listening to yourself doesn't make you puke...... I dare you......... You know who you are..............

And then come back and try to write something intelligent.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 02:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
Yes, but if you are happy with what you have, are happy just making music etc., etc., why post here at all? Seems like 'I'm ok, you're OK' where's the fun in that?

If these are the types of threads going to read on SZ everyday then I'll be taking you up on why post here at all.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 03:25 PM

Diki, I reread my posts and substituted Roland for Yamaha...and guess what? I still don't see why anyone with any maturity would get upset..

The problem lately is too many people here are uptight and most likely have inferiority complexes...Why else would these people be so quick to attack individuals personally?
It is one thing to comment on plastic and steel[or Yamaha and Roland] products..You would think one was condemning a person...Get it together everyone...This is a discussion group..If you can't laugh at yourself along the way ..you are far to serious to be with people that enjoy life...So get a life[a happy one] or get out of our way..because we are here to have fun...There is tension in all aspects of our daily lives..this site should be our relax time..and when called upon , time to help those that ask...

I am done here now, maybe I can find something on TV to amuse me....This thread doesn't...

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 03:38 PM

Quote:
This post seems to be getting a bit silly.
At the end of the day who really cares if a musician needs a Tyros 2 or not, it's not the end of the world.
Everyone has diferent tastes and bank balances, some people love Yamaha sounds and styles others like Rolands, Korg etc.
I only got my T2 because to my ears the sounds, styles and features for the money were exactly what I was looking for.
I'm sure DNJ already having had the T2 in the past knows what he is missing and if he doesn't use the features that are missing then he is better off with a 3k anyway.

I quite agree, T42.

You make more sense than a lot of long term members.

Welcome to Synth Zone.

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 03:59 PM

Quote:
we are here to have fun .this site should be our relax time. maybe I can find something on TV to amuse me.

Fran, hmmmm. I'm curious now what specific TV shows amuse you most?! In fact, this might make an interesting new thread topic.

Scott

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 04:30 PM

Posted by: bruno123

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 05:11 PM

My last keyboards were Tyros 1, Psr3000, Kn7000(Technics) and now a Tyros 2.
Opinion:
Tyros 1 was better than the Psr3000 in most ways.
Tyros 2 is much better then the Tyros 1.
Technics was in a class by itself, hard to compare, it was just one-of-a-kind.

Opinion; No reference to anyone on this forum, just my thoughts.

I have been putting a lot of time on my Tyros 2, I don’t know how it is possible to go from one make keyboard to another make keyboard and judge that keyboard without putting in a great deal of time –(weeks, months) – on the keyboard.

Each time I sit with the Tyros 2 I find another great feature that helps me make my performance set-up better. There is no way I could have discovered all these features in a short time. I have actually put together a different method of using the keyboard than I used with the KN7000.

Opinion:
If you rush through the learning and understanding period of the keyboard you do not know the keyboard. Amen.

John C.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 05:17 PM

Quote:
Who said we were FRIENDS ?!?!?... seems more like family to me
t.

Tony, you have a unique way at looking at things, I like it.
No I enjoy it,-- it is refreshing.

I’ve decided to be one of your fans.
John C.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 05:29 PM

Scott , nothing on TV , so I decided to read up on the importing of all these junk products into the USA..Come to think of it ..most of Yamaha junk is coming in from here too..

http://www.made-in-china.com/
Posted by: rattley

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 05:59 PM

"I can't believe I read this whole thing..................................."

Now I'm ready for bed!!!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 06:57 PM

Quote:
I decided to read up on the importing of all these junk products into the USA. Come to think of it most of Yamaha junk is coming in from here too. http://www.made-in-china.com/

hmmm . . .

Yamaha Tyros2: Made in Japan
Scott Yee: Born in the USA

In reality: Many of the products made in China are very HIGH quality American brand products simply produced a lot cheaper in China. The simple reason: cheap offshore labor & lower environmental protection standards there. Until America & Western nations wake up & stop the major corporations from moving jobs offshore, hiring cheap (aka slave) labor, the trend will only escalate. For better or worse, Ameria's insatiable appetite for quality goods at cheaper prices than can be produced here will continue. China is quickly emerging now as the world's leading 21st century economic superpower. Ok folks, we'd better start learning how to speak Chinese.

Scott

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/22/06 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
any of you not thrilled with your T2: want to trade up (like add some cash or other items) for a 3-month old Genesys ProS w/matching sound system and wheeled gig bag?
Miami Mo

hey Miami mo why dont you like the Genesys pro? I thought they were awesome??? explain?
I havnt found one around here yet to even play.....would be interesting to hear your views....

thank you
Posted by: spalding4

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 04:22 AM

the simple and honest answer to DNJ original question "does anybody need the T2) is no. neither do they need the psr3000. But these instruments and their features are nice to use. I would bet my PA1X that none of the pro musicians here can demonstrate that their latest trade up keyboard actually made any difference to their earnings capacity as musicians/musical entertainers. ( i must warn you that i welch on bets i lose !! )

Its just personal tastes and preferences that make us choose one instrument over another.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:

Tony, you have a unique way at looking at things, I like it.
No I enjoy it,-- it is refreshing.
I’ve decided to be one of your fans.
John C.

WOW !!! I've got a FAN ... Thank You, Thank You, Thank You very much ... ...
John, EVERYBODY is FAMILY ... it must be that Italian thing ... ... and maybe that AGE thing ...
t.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 06:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott , nothing on TV , so I decided to read up on the importing of all these junk products into the USA..Come to think of it ..most of Yamaha junk is coming in from here too..

Yamaha junk lmao
is Fran referring just to arrangers here, or also to Yamaha's synths and pianos, what about their Hifi and DVD's, pro audio mixing desks, PA etc...... I think Yamaha make far more products than the likes of Roland, Korg, Ketron..... also if it weren't for the Chinese and Japanese half of the products we use probably wouldn't even exist.
I'm glad the Chinese didn't do the styles for the T2 though, I couldn't handle 400 styles with oriental instruments clanging away I can just imagaine what the Oriental Disco would sound like

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding4:
I would bet my PA1X that none of the pro musicians here can demonstrate that their latest trade up keyboard actually made any difference to their earnings capacity as musicians/musical entertainers. ( i must warn you that i welch on bets i lose !! )
Its just personal tastes and preferences that make us choose one instrument over another.

spalding4 ... and I would bet my kn6000 that you are right ... except if the new kb allowed them to 'break-down' and 'set-up' faster so that they could squeeze in another one hour afternoon gig ...
From what I've heard around here, most of the players would sound good no matter WHAT kb they were using ... it's just a matter of what fits ....
t.
Posted by: Craig_UK

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 07:16 AM

Well guys I agree with Donny at long last.
I don't need my T2 anymore so I've sold it and I now go out gigging everynight with my stylophone. I've had it 30 years so even far sturdier than a G1000
I get 399 gigs a year now (that's 1 less then Donny), I can also do a blinding solo with the paper and comb (great squeak effects), the penny whistle also makes an appearance and I've joined the SMF users club (ahhhhhhhhh). My audience thinks I'm amazing (they're too old to realise the disk is doing all the work and not me)...
Well guys I'm out of here, too many gigs to cope with and no time to post these days, it's great being in demand. You can catch me on my national tour soon VIVA LAS VEGAS!
I'll give Denmark a miss but my CD is already doing well there.
This site has been great for a laugh but I'm off to pastures new, tatty byeeeeeeeeee

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 08:06 AM

hi DNJ,
re the Genesys Pro S:
biggest problem for me is the weight: 41.8 lbs.
I fooled with a Gem sk76, got it on ebay cheap and liked
a lot about it except it was 49 lbs and it nearly crippled
me on a gig, and I realized I like synth action, not semi-w.
Gem dealer gave me a generous trade-in, and Pro S had so many more updated sounds, styles, and could record and burn Cd's onboard, so I convinced myself I could handle 41.8 lbs. First gig I got by, 2nd gig required more lifting and I had a sore back for 3 days afterward. I also found I needed to do a lot of tweaking to get sounds the
way i liked them, and Dave McMahan at Gem was terrific
in giving me phone tutoring, so I learned that. But with
my new "chops", I went back and applied the tweaking
lessons to my old Korg is35, and I got those sounds so
much better, I realized the only reason I wanted to get
a better unit, aside from the cd burner, was that I was
not that happy with my old sounds. The Korg is 28.5 lbs.
The T2 is 36 lbs, which at least is 5.8 lbs lighter than the
Pro S. It will be tough to sell my expensive unit, so if i can
get a T2 in trade(or a lighter-yet psr30k but that will require more cash from trader) at least it is lighter and will also have special new sounds which I can't now achieve, and styles that are better programmed. anyone interested can email me or call me 8:30am-8:30p.m est at:
860 435-2242
Miami Mo (in ct thru october)

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 08:14 AM

T42, The electronics market follows a pattern, not just electronics but acoustic instruments too..40 years ago, USA was the world best in electronics [development and quality]..China , Japan, and Korea were looked down upon..Quality was not great and in most cases poor..
In the Musical instruments field, electronics wise, mid 70's the Japanese started to overtake the USA in development, quality and cost...As we are here today..Japan rules this Market..

Guitars , same thing, the USA still makes the best guitars, but for the money, Japan is superior..

In the mid 80's the guitar market after USA and Japan..the quality was not there in Korean and China products...

Currently the Korean market has made great strides in quality instruments[maybe where Japan was 25 years ago]..China is not in the same quality production right now..they are pretty much a low cost market, sacrificing quality...

You will see China develop as Japan did first, and Korea later...

You can also see this product development and quality growth with products from Italy and Mexico..

Once the major manufacturers get past making cheap products for the sake of being cheap, and incorporate quality[with a higher price] you can see the reputation change..

Big companies have always produced instruments in these lower pay scale countries, for lower first instrument products, but they all have one thing in common...poor quality..

There are some exceptions, when a Fender, Mackie etc company set minimum standards that assure some products are made with better quality...

So basically what I am saying Japan is right there with the USA now, Korean is a few steps behind and China will be coming up quickly...

Just be smart consumers and don't just shop price...look at the negatives too when you shop..

That is the end of International marketing 101..

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 08:28 AM

need to followup my last post re Genesys:
DNJ, I realize i never answered what was "awesome".
OK: here goes:
1) it does everything but iron your shirts onboard.
no need for computer, cd burner, etc. imports every format.
2)easy to operate live--sliders, controls well laid out. no
touchscreen, which i hate..nice button layout instead.
3)really well built, solid.
4)Dave at Gem will spend mucho time on phone/email with you if you need it--astonishing, the personal service.
5)IMHO:ABSOLUTELY BEST LOOKING BOARD OUT THERE..SLEEK, ELEGANT, MAKES EVERY OTHER UNIT LOOK LIKE JUNK. PHOTOS CAN'T DO IT JUSTICE..PEOPLE ACTUALLY WALK UP TO ADMIRE THE UNIT AND COMMENT

that said, it's still not best Kb for me, but at this point
I'm not sure what would be, am rethinking it all...

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 09:23 AM

Thankyou for the information Fran.
I had no idea who ruled the electronics world 40 years ago as I wasn't born, but reading your post I can see you're speaking from age and experience, so thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
Well guys I agree with Donny at long last.
I don't need my T2 anymore so I've sold it and I now go out gigging everynight with my stylophone. I've had it 30 years so even far sturdier than a G1000
I get 399 gigs a year now (that's 1 less then Donny), I can also do a blinding solo with the paper and comb (great squeak effects), the penny whistle also makes an appearance and I've joined the SMF users club (ahhhhhhhhh). My audience thinks I'm amazing (they're too old to realise the disk is doing all the work and not me)...
Well guys I'm out of here, too many gigs to cope with and no time to post these days, it's great being in demand. You can catch me on my national tour soon VIVA LAS VEGAS!
I'll give Denmark a miss but my CD is already doing well there.
This site has been great for a laugh but I'm off to pastures new, tatty byeeeeeeeeee

hey Craig....
dont let the door hit ya in your Arse !

tatty byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 09:57 AM

Quote:
need to followup my last post re Genesys:
DNJ, I realize i never answered what was "awesome".
OK: here goes:
1) it does everything but iron your shirts onboard.
no need for computer, cd burner, etc. imports every format.
2)easy to operate live--sliders, controls well laid out. no
touchscreen, which i hate..nice button layout instead.
3)really well built, solid.
4)Dave at Gem will spend mucho time on phone/email with you if you need it--astonishing, the personal service.
5)IMHO:ABSOLUTELY BEST LOOKING BOARD OUT THERE..SLEEK, ELEGANT, MAKES EVERY OTHER UNIT LOOK LIKE JUNK. PHOTOS CAN'T DO IT JUSTICE..PEOPLE ACTUALLY WALK UP TO ADMIRE THE UNIT AND COMMENT

that said, it's still not best Kb for me, but at this point
I'm not sure what would be, am rethinking it all...

Mo thanx for the reply.....the weight issue on some of these boards baffles me by the manufacturers especially for live gigging, the G70 weighs a ton too ouch! ya have to take a weigh & balance attitude with these Kb's regarding what YOU need features......what you can live with, & what makes you happy.......I wish you good luck in your journey to happiness!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 10:07 AM

T2= Tyros 2= Terminator 2 Judgement Day.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 10:09 AM

TYROS 2 WILL WIN THEN

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tyrosman:
TYROS 2 WILL WIN THEN

Sheeeeeeesh its gonna be a sad day when T3 comes out what will all the T2 people do, jump off buildings?
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 10:46 AM

Quote:
Sheeeeeeesh its gonna be a sad day when T3 comes out what will all the T2 people do, jump off buildings?

Let's hope so......and drag all the Roland devotees with them .

chas
Posted by: loungelyzard

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 10:47 AM

Nigel:
Sure wish you could make these posts stream to the latest as they come on, gonna wear out my clicker, refreshing just keeping up to these guys.

Lots of fun guys watching a bunch of brothers geting into a row.....Better than watching Andy Griffin ont T.V. Glad to see your keeping it clean......pose

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 10:59 AM

pose......that would probably take a whole different Forum Formats like some of the newer ones out there....but they'll have the great deep character atmosphere the SZ has

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 11:01 AM

When the T3 comes out (hopefully not called Tyros again) I'd imagine most T2 owners will part exchange if it offers a major leap forward in sounds, styles and features yet again. I for one will part ex my T2 especially if the replacement comes with 76 keys (pretty please Yamaha).
If the Roland Devotees are also dragged with us as cgiles posts above, I'll look forward to landing on top of one to cushion my fall

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 11:07 AM

I seriously think the next offerings will startle us from all manufacturers.....something needs to be done to make people happy, purchase, & continue to do so, unless they want to commit financial suicide......satisfying the public's demands will always prevail or fall by the wayside.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 11:09 AM

im leaving sz as well guys have fun

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 11:11 AM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-23-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 12:30 PM

All we hear is Yamaha ...Roland most of the time.....where are the KORG, KETRON, GEM, etc people? Common chime in so we can talk about arrangers.
Posted by: MrEd

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 01:39 PM

Quote:
All we hear is Yamaha ...Roland most of the time.....where are the KORG, KETRON, GEM, etc people? Common chime in so we can talk about arrangers.

Last call ... KORG?,,,KETRON?,,,GEM?,,,,No one?,,,

OK, Accordion arranger players....Step forward.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 08-23-2006).]
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 02:23 PM

Behave, kids, or I'll make you all go stand in the corner.

No TV or dessert, either!

Russ

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 02:36 PM

Let er Rip...I love Accordions

I miss my old Titano days

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 02:49 PM

Still got 2 accordions in their boxes here.
Ones quite old by Hohner and the other I think is made by Scandelli, all mother of pearl on it, looks great.
I've been wanting to check out these new ones by Roland but not had the time yet.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 02:55 PM

T3: Rise of the Tyros's

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 03:02 PM

Chicago area accordion enthusiasts.

Dick Contino, his son Pete, and daughter Deidre will be performing in Chicago area tomorrow at the Addison Italian fest. Its a big 3-day thing but Contino is there only Thursday. (i'm pretty sure he always plays acoustics but i'm not sure about his son)
Posted by: Spalding1

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 03:06 PM

The title of the thread was "do we really need the T2"

Dont really know what else to comment DNJ as a PAX owner i obviously dont !

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 03:15 PM

Quote:
Let er Rip...I love Accordions

I miss my old Titano days

Its not too late Donny for the -NEW- Titano days, with midi/arranger setup built right in!
New Titano Donny

There goes the 3000!

Heck, you can get to the job on a motorcycle.
Strap the squeezbox on to your back and put the Z5500's in the saddle bags.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrEd:
Chicago area accordion enthusiasts.

Dick Contino, his son Pete, and daughter Deidre will be performing in Chicago area tomorrow at the Addison Italian fest. Its a big 3-day thing but Contino is there only Thursday.

Darn, I'm tied up Thurs. Looks like I'm gonna miss 'em again. Oh well.

chas

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

Darn, I'm tied up Thurs. Looks like I'm gonna miss 'em again. Oh well.

chas

Chas, you're in luck.
He's playing here (in Berwyn) for the Berwyn Italian fest on Sep 2nd, no lie.

BERRRWYN???

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 03:36 PM

Quote:
Still got 2 accordions in their boxes here.
Ones quite old by Hohner and the other I think is made by Scandelli, all mother of pearl on it, looks great.
I've been wanting to check out these new ones by Roland but not had the time yet.

I have not seen 1 or heard 1 live, the Roland that is.
Keyboard Mag did a test on 1 and they gave it good marks.

I've listened to the company's audio samples and i watched/listened to the video demo and I personally heard or saw nothing to get excited about. Especially for the money they want.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 03:40 PM

Hey MrEd, I'm there. Can't think of a better way for a Brother to spend a Labor Day weekend than at an Italian fest filled with accordian music.

chas

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 03:50 PM

Quote:
Hey MrEd, I'm there. Can't think of a better way for a Brother to spend a Labor Day weekend than at an Italian fest filled with accordian music.

chas

Chas, if you can hang around Berwyn until the following week, Sep 9th, Fitzgerald's Nightclub has the group TDA! (Those Darn Accordions)

DOUBLE-HEADER!

BEAKYBIRD...Are you out there?
Where are you playing with the Tyros thru these weeks.
I'd like to come out and listen.

I'm in the mood to just lay back, relax, and hear some good music entertainment over the higher energy from the shows, although these particular performers are great and its a fun time, and they don't get to Chicagoland that often ....
Ahhh, i guess i will try to fit it all in, Beaky too, if you're around

Posted by: drdalet

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 03:51 PM

If the topic title was Do you really need a Tyros I, perhaps I would agree to the idea that the PSR3000 is perhaps just as good - but I don't know what the idea is posting those video's as well. ????????

In the 1st place I don't find that these videos have a commercial value promoting the PSR3000, but comparing the PSR3000 with the Tyros 2 means that either you (Dnj) don't understand the technical (and musical!) advantage of the Tyros 2 over the Tyros 1 and PSR3000 or you find the music in the videos sounding good enough... well, I don't.

However, I do believe that not being a professional performer I don't need the Tyros 1, but the PSR3000 is good enough - I do have the PSR3000. But if the successor comes out, implemented with the technical wonders of the Tyros 2, I probably will buy that successor (PSR3100?)

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 08-23-2006).]
Posted by: zuki

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 04:02 PM

The best keyboard is NO keyboard, thus I have no say and can remain neutral! But I love the war Argure on..........
zuki
Posted by: zuki

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 04:06 PM

I love accordians (first instrument) and thought about taking it up again, now that I'm older and could care less what anyone says! I might buy a home organ too I'll then posts MP3's that'll put everyone to sleep
zuki

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I love accordians (first instrument) and thought about taking it up again, now that I'm older and could care less what anyone says! I might buy a home organ too I'll then posts MP3's that'll put everyone to sleep
zuki

I know what you mean Zuki.
The accordion is a turnoff to many. And not only because its more commonly associated with ethnic styles.

Years back, I played an electronic accordion in a 5-7 piece band.
Electronic meaning it had many of the voices instruments that are in our arrangers and various acoustic and elctric bass guitars on the left-hand buttons, but no auto-accompaniment built in.
We recorded professional audio tapes and sent them out. Got a lot of jobs out of it but when we showed up and played at some of these jobs, it was all too common for the manager/hirer to express negativity about the accordion.
Things like "where's the organ player, where's the piano, no guitar!?" We showed up with the same instrumentation as what they heard on the tape. Some of them became happy when they heard us live and realized that they were getting what they heard, which was more important to them, but others were still disappointed on the appearance that the box brought.

I remember we played for a senior prom that we booked thru the demo tape. We showed up and I thought the guy who hired us was going to have a heart attack when he saw us set up with the accordion "Whats goin on? Who are you guys? The variety of music on the demo was good enough to get hired, but the instrumentation was unacceptable. Oh well, we played, they danced, we got paid.

Maybe i can get hired by the Chicago police dept...Crowd control with mt squeezebox.

Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 05:10 PM

I think maybe I'm a bit surprised, perhaps maybe even a little bit disappointed that a topic like this.. which I think perhaps started out well intended, draws 100+ responses, and a major portion of that becomes yet another pissing contest. I say well intended based on my believing that it isn't paramount that we all have the most expensive hi tech board. It's more what we do with it or what can we do with it that matters, at least to me.

Yet at the same time we see the occasional mention of things like improving our chops, or maybe some technical questions or discussions about the inner workings of our arrangers, or perhaps what we can do to customize and personalize the equipment we already have, whether it be modifying the styles or adding new ones, working with the multipads, making new voices or editing old ones, adding accessories, etc... but the responses seem to be minimal in comparison to this type of thread, and they don't appear to evoke very much passion in comparison.

I picked the Tyros 2 for a few reasons. I like the key feel, the way it's laid out, the way it sounds, the multipads and I especially like all the stuff ( software, styles, tutorials, websites, etc ) that several very generous users have provided for us at no cost over the years. The latter is one of the reasons I came back to the Yamaha fold.

Of course, there is also one more reason... that I could afford it in the first place. There were lots of times in the not so distant past that this was not the case for me, and if that were still my situation, and I still wanted most of the functionality of the T2, I would have saved my pennies and gotten a 3000, and I would not have regretted it at all. In fact, right up until the last minute, after having been so impressed by the 1500, the 3k was in strong contention to be my next board.

The real issue though is that it really shouldn't matter to anyone else what I or the next person chose. It's a personal matter, and we choose what ( hopefully ) will work best for us. That's why I don't get it I guess. I simply don't care any more if the next person thinks the T2 or the 3000 or anything else I have is the biggest piece of trash on the planet, because in the end, it has no effect on my musical journey, whatsoever.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-23-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 06:47 PM

Quote:
Its not too late Donny for the -NEW- Titano days, with midi/arranger setup built right in!
New Titano Donny

There goes the 3000!

Heck, you can get to the job on a motorcycle.
Strap the squeezbox on to your back and put the Z5500's in the saddle bags.

wow Im teary eyed Eddie....Oh man thats a beauty for sure........thanx for the memories buddy..
these kids dont know what their missing by not learning to play the accordion.....I wish it was more main stream here in the states like it is in Europe.

stay well

Donny

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 06:52 PM

Quote:

chas

Oh You'll love it baby.....
Sausage & Peppers, Tarrantellas, & a bag of Zeppoli's!! Oh Yeah!!!!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
a topic like this.. which I think perhaps started out well intended, draws 100+ responses,

Exactly.....thanx AJ for the reply....
What have I done.......?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 07:08 PM

Hey - we should have an accordion jam ... all of us former accordion players meet at Donny's or Fran's for a weekend of accordion music ... how 'bout it ?!?!?
I'm feeling the urge to get that thing out of its box !!!

Leave the gun, bring the cannolis !
t.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 07:10 PM

Quote:
Hey - we should have an accordion jam ... all of us former accordion players meet at Donny's or Fran's for a weekend of accordion music ... how 'bout it ?!?!?
I'm feeling the urge to get that thing out of its box !!!

Leave the gun, bring the cannolis !
t.

Oh man Tony dont get me started.....now Im in the mood to do some bellow shakes to LADY OF SPAIN!!!! followed by a good version of GRANADA, TWO GUITARS & then
TICO TICO

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 07:22 PM

holy cow, all the accordian players coming out of the closet...
WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE PUT THIS THREAD TO BED?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 07:39 PM

why we've had much longer threads then this just on AMERICAN IDOL last time
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/012877.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-23-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 08:09 PM

Tony, Donny, Jam on!

The squeeze is marching into a town near you.

My pack of merry marchers are leaving tonight, we should be there b4 the 1st snow.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/23/06 08:30 PM

Ed take pics for us
Posted by: Beakybird

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/24/06 08:21 AM

Thank you Mr Ed for your interest into my wherabouts.

All is well, and I am enjoying my PSR3000.

I am feeling guilty for not inquiring into Scott Yee's health, even though it looks like he's all better now.

I am a little bored, waiting for the successor to the PSR3000. I have had it for two years, and it's a great keyboard, but I want the excitement of new sounds, new styles, and new features.

I am performing with my PSR3000, Crowne CM311A mic, and pair of Yamaha MSR100 speakers throughout the Chicago area, doing the nursing and retirement home circuit. Business is good, but it is a little challenging being the sole income earner with a musician's income - you know, wife, daughter, private preschool, house, two cars, yada yada yada.

Regarding this post, I have not had the fortune of trying out the Tyros 2 yet. I have visited several Sam Ash's and Guitar Centers, and they never have it.

The Tyros 2 styles sound fantastic on the PSR3000. I would posit that the elderly audience I perform for would not discern the difference between the two keyboards, but I would. I'm sure that I would relish the super articulation voices and other features found on the Tyros.

I am sad that the PSR3000 has been out for two years, and Yamaha still hasn't come out with the next model. It's a bummer. I am especially hoping that my keyboard doesn't break down at an important show, since it has a lot of miles on it.

I hope the apparently reliable info from Ianmcl, or whoever, isn't true - that I will have to wait until next spring for the next PSR model. Hopefully it will be out this winter.

I'd love to meet up with you, Mr. Ed - or any synthzone member, at one of my shows. Give me some dates, and I'll tell you where I'm going to be.

I forgot where you live, Mr. Ed. I live in Woodridge, Illinois now.

Beakybird

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/24/06 11:36 AM

Hello Beakybird!
Its very good to hear from you. I'm gald that everything is going well.

PSR 3000/Replacement.
Yes, many of us are waiting, impatiently to see whats going to be on the 3000's replacement.
I use the 3000 too and I am very happy with it. Mine has low miles. If something should malfunction with your board, you can use mine. I will email info to you on how to contact me for something like that. Its a good board though with many users around here. I don't recall hearing about anybody having a show stopper with it.

I don't have need for using half of the functions on the 3000, just good voices and auto-accompaniment. For me to upgrade to TYROS level, or even to the next PSR, I'm really not shure what more I would want out of it.
76 keys with 3 split points that can be saved to a registration, and maybe direct "on" board eq + vol controls would probably do it for me.
Right now, I'm more concerned with amplification, to get the sound quality that I know is there in the 3000, out to the public and even overpower my son's rock band

Beaky, I'm in southwest Chicago, just off I55. The day job has me mostly along the I88 corridor, between Westchester on the east and Naperville on the west, Downers and Lisle alot.

I will email you to find out what you have going in the near future around the western burbs.
I can never find music players/entertainers around here that use arrangers and thats a real bummer.
Through the accordion club, I find out where the midi/arranger accordion players are but thats about it as far as 1 or 2-man entertainers go.

I'll be in touch.

Ed

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 08-24-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/24/06 01:16 PM

One thing that many people dont realise about the Tyros 2 is that quiet a number of the sounds that have the identical name to Tyros1 have been improved for T2...for example the sweet trumpet and the accordion. Then go count the number of sweet live and cool sounds on T1 and PSR3000 and compare to the number on T2....the difference is HUGE... And thats not taking into account the 42 s. Art sounds of T2... Having 400 of the best possible styles at your command makes u a maestro... 120 new multipads that for the first time make use of mega voicing...which itself was increased....i think the T2 terminates both T1 and PSR3000

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/24/06 01:29 PM

For me the best thing about the T2 is the ability to load in your own WAV files.
If you all think the sweet, mega and SA sounds are good, try creating your own samples. They don't even have to be huge amounts of megabytes. I've got a 5mb alto sax and I think it's even more realistic than the SA sax, it's got more warmth to it.
Because these samples are stored as TVN files you can also give the styles parts access to these sounds. Swapping the guitars, sax, piano etc from the styles to your own sampled sounds brings a whole new life to the styles, not that they were ever bad to start off with, but once you try it there's no going back.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/24/06 04:11 PM

Quote:

Oh man Tony dont get me started.....now Im in the mood to do some bellow shakes to LADY OF SPAIN!!!! followed by a good version of GRANADA, TWO GUITARS & then
TICO TICO

... followed bt The Jolly Caballero - NO NOT the GAY Caballero .... the Jolly Caballero started with a chromatic chord run from the high register to the low ... WOW ....
t.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/24/06 04:40 PM

T42 i have no knowledge of importing samples into a keyboard but i am curious to know more. So the Tyros2 accepts new sounds as long as they are in wav format? Now did u find that sax wav sample on the net? Or do u have to buy such samples? Or did u create it yourself... Im trying to figure out if i do buy a T2 would i be able to actually get high quality sounds off the net to further enhance the T2... And how difficult is it to actually allocate the sample to the T2... Obviously the dimm cards must be installed for all this....sorry 4 asking so many questions... My T1 couldnt do that

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/24/06 04:54 PM

Oh and can u import a wav drum sound and use it as a multi pad?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/24/06 06:43 PM

I talked to a guy at Yamaha yesterday for some info about
certain features on the 3K, guess it was a slow day at the office, so we kind of shot the breeze and got chummy,and he told me that he felt if you didn't need the special features on the 3K, he advised saving money and buying the 1500 which
he said was every bit as good, a lot cheaper, 2lbs.lighter.

THEN I pumped him to reveal info on what's coming up..
he confided that there will be NO new 76-key akb in the
foreseeable future from Yamaha--that they tried 76's
in the workstations, and they just don't sell. Sorry to be
the bearer o bad tidings for those who were holding
their breath. btw, any of you who chose T2, did you also
try Ketron SD-1+, which is the same weight and a 76..?
Miami Mo

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/24/06 09:17 PM

Thanx for the info....no surprise about NO 76 key model coming next from Yammy re: arrangers....
The 3100 or what ever they call it will most likely be a less featured "mini me" of the T2 IMO.
SD-1 is another animal in a good way compared to the T2.....try to check one out & do a search here on the SZ its been discussed many many times.

Good luck

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/24/06 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
I am feeling guilty for not inquiring into Scott Yee's health, even though it looks like he's all better now.

Hey Larry, I'm back in the game again. Recently learned it was food poisoning (not the flu afterall), form eating out at a new local (El Salvadorean) restaurant. After contacting the local envirmomental health dept, learned several other patrons had got sick (possibly from the cheese?) there as well.

Yamaha's past PSR release date track record (PSR2000/3000) signify that the PSR3000 succesor won't be out till next year (spring/summer). In addition, my reliable Yamaha sources (Japan & UK) have assured me that they've heard NOTHING about the PSR3000 succesor having anything else but 61 keys, citing Yamaha's recent past financial sales disaster with the 9000pro. Larry, I trust that your gigs in the Chicago Area are continuing to go well. It would be great if you could post some recent songs recorded by you on your PSR3000.

Scott

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 05:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rolandfan:]T42 i have no knowledge of importing samples into a keyboard but i am curious to know more. So the Tyros2 accepts new sounds as long as they are in wav format? Now did u find that sax wav sample on the net? Or do u have to buy such samples? Or did u create it yourself... Im trying to figure out if i do buy a T2 would i be able to actually get high quality sounds off the net to further enhance the T2... And how difficult is it to actually allocate the sample to the T2... Obviously the dimm cards must be installed for all this....sorry 4 asking so many questions... My T1 couldnt do that

The Tyros 2 accepts both WAV and aiff format.
You can use high quality sounds off the net to enhance the T2 or even buy sample CD's in these formats and create sounds yourself.
Allocating samples is fairly straight forward once you get used to it and the instruction booklet tells you all the ins and outs of doing this.
You basically call up the wave import function, select a desired element and add your wave. The hardest part is setting up the options, but you can have more than one wave per key (not sure if the maximum is 8 per key as this is all new to me at the moment).
You could in theory create a huge steinway piano WAV that has multi samples per note all velocity switched, piano heaven here I come

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 05:46 AM

T42, in the past all keyboard samplers have come up short..The multisampling you mention is the only way to achieve a good playable sample..It will need more than 8 sample points[unfortunately this is the average limit, and worse yet the limits on sample size..Good luck if you think you can come up with a decent multisampled piano..I have never heard a great user sampled piano yet...The factory has far superior methods and facilities to sample and edit sounds to be playable...I am not sure if great samples can be loaded into today's keyboard samplers and sound as they were designed to play..

For novelty sounds the keyboards sample ok...but how many pot drops or shouts are really needed..

Sorry, I can't share your excitement about keyboard samplers..I have been there, and already know the limitations..
Most of my experiences were on the Ketron X1[considered one of the better samplers]..I also go back to the old Roland samplers..and the Ensoniq Mirage..

Thankfully we don't have to rely on user samples..there are an abundance of sounds available from the factories in expansion cards...and they are done right..

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 06:14 AM

T42, in the past all keyboard samplers have come up short..The multisampling you mention is the only way to achieve a good playable sample..It will need more than 8 sample points[unfortunately this is the average limit, and worse yet the limits on sample size..Good luck if you think you can come up with a decent multisampled piano..I have never heard a great user sampled piano yet...The factory has far superior methods and facilities to sample and edit sounds to be playable...I am not sure if great samples can be loaded into today's keyboard samplers and sound as they were designed to play..
For novelty sounds the keyboards sample ok...but how many pot drops or shouts are really needed..
Sorry, I can't share your excitement about keyboard samplers..I have been there, and already know the limitations..
Most of my experiences were on the Ketron X1[considered one of the better samplers]..I also go back to the old Roland samplers..and the Ensoniq Mirage..
Thankfully we don't have to rely on user samples..there are an abundance of sounds available from the factories in expansion cards...and they are done right..

Hello Fran, I can't say I agree with your last post above.
The Tyros 2 has more than 8 sample points, I was referring to the amount of samples you can assign to each individual key, not just 8 samples per sound created.
I've already heard a great 300mb Steinway multi sampled piano on a Tyros 2 (fair enough it may take about 12 minutes to load in) and even a 5mb alto sax sample I have sounds better than the SA sax and any alto sax in my opinion on any current arranger.
Things have also moved on considerably since the days of the Ketron X1 and others you mention, they were in the ice age compared to the current sampling technology.
As for expansion cards I never liked any for my previous keyboards. I've always found that doing your own sounds are far better than buying someone elses offerings. For every sound you like on an expansion board there are just as many rubbish ones if not more and they are expensive.
From reading peoples posts on SZ since I joined I can see that you love your G1000 and are a dedicated Roland user.
Roland produce some great products but I don't think the G70 or new E80 allows the user to load in their own samples into a maximum of 1 gig user space? Those users are limited to what Roland sells on expansion cards, so I wouldn't want to be limited in that way being a professional entertainer and sound developer.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 07:39 AM

Hi T42, My most recent sample playback instrument was the rack mount Roland 5080,,it also accepted user samples..AIFF and Wav...still the problem I find is playability with dynamics..and most important evenness across the board with no noticeable sample points..It takes a lot of skill to come up with a multisample piano..I don't even think some manufacturers did it right with their flagship models...The only one I like is Rolands Grand x on the G70 and the samples on Roland's RD700sx.. They also have great pianos on the expansion cards..

To me the Yamaha's lack a mid range quality in their pianos.. and Korg is not quite what I like to hear..As always this is personal opinions...

Many of my Pro friends would agree with me..that when it comes to sampling ...let the pros do it..Matter of fact most of the players I know , could care less about the sampling feature for the same reasons I mention..

Someday I would like to hear your samples that you are happy with...I would hope someday that they all [brands] would meet my expectations..

If you record any of your sample work, give me a link to it, I would love to check it out...Fran

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 07:50 AM

Fran, you'll certainly be able to check my samples out if I decide to release them on CD for the T2. I'm only using them for myself at the moment and it's something I've only just started working with now I've got a little bit more spare time.
Only thing is you'd have to buy a T2 to hear them on. Go on be a devil, I know you secretly want to own one

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 08:06 AM

T42, just record yourself playing your piano sample using dynamics..I just want to hear your sample..not play it...The Tyros2 is not in my future..It sounds fine, it just doesn't have the things I need..especially the keys..range[76] and feel..

I wish you the best with your Tyros2..Send me a recording of your playing the piano sample when you get a chance..Thanks
Posted by: LIONSTRACS

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 10:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by T42:
Hello Fran, I can't say I agree with your last post above.
The Tyros 2 has more than 8 sample points, I was referring to the amount of samples you can assign to each individual key, not just 8 samples per sound created.
I've already heard a great 300mb Steinway multi sampled piano on a Tyros 2 (fair enough it may take about 12 minutes to load in) and even a 5mb alto sax sample I have sounds better than the SA sax and any alto sax in my opinion on any current arranger.

Hi T42
i give you for free download some my giga sounds:
1 Steiway Piano of 4Mb size, 1 layer and sound good too, need about 0.4 sec time to loading in the Mediastation: http://www.lionstracs.com/download/soundbank/STEINWAY.gig

then one Soft Sax, 2.2Mb, need about 0.1 sec time to loading in the mediastation: http://www.lionstracs.com/download/soundbank/Sax%20soft.gig

Open it with the Gigastudio editor and extract the all wave, you can use in your T2 too.
Of course then the loading time in your T2 is not the same...
Let me know if the sounds are working
Posted by: LIONSTRACS

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 10:58 AM

sorry, but now I'm a little confused..

You mean that T2, for loading 300Mb of wave need 12 minute..
so..this mean that the T2 can loading up to 25Mb in one minute, right? ( 300%12=25)

If you there have installed 1000Mb RAM and you want to load one full set of new wav sounds...mean that you have to waiting more than 40 minute before the T2 is ready to play it?
and if you lost the powersupply when you gig? You have to waiting another 40 minute untill you are again ready?

may you please explain me more better how is working the T2 sampler?
I can't believe that you have to waiting 40 minute, is not possible!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 11:44 AM

Hello Lionstracs, thank you for the offer above.
Unfortunately the T2 doesn't stream samples like your Mediastation (or Wersi arrangers)do, neither does it load them as quick as your machine or a PC.
It definitely takes about 1 minute to load 25mb's in, so if you did use the full 1 gig you can obviously imagine how long it would take. If you had a power cut you would have to load them in again, although the T2 would do this for you automatically.
I could wait 5 maybe 10 minutes if out playing live, but don't mind when I use it in my studio.
I've no idea why it takes so long, it's the way Yamaha have made it. We even only got USB1 out of them so they better correct this for their next outing if they want me to buy one

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 12:29 PM

You mean to tell me with all the hundreds of sounds on these arrangers 95% of them sound terrible & people have to look elsewhere, that doesnt say much for what your paying for. Can someone post one of their great custom samples & prove to us that a user can sample as well as the factory can.....lets hear a dynamic well played Piano sample please.
Maybe the Title of the post should be
Do You Really Need A SAMPLER on the
Tyros 2 ?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-25-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 12:46 PM

Maybe Nigel should call this place TyrosZone, instead of Synthzone....

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 01:54 PM

Or maybe even call Scott Yee Zone being hes top poster & top super slueth aka buzy body

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 01:58 PM

[img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 02:11 PM

Maybe Nigel could created a forum for double acts?
It's amazing how many times DNJ and Fran always post after each other. You two could go out as a duo, you remind me of Hinge and Bracket

As Arnie once said 'I'll be back'

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 02:17 PM

Craig you taking buzy body lessons from Scott also? btw I guess the door didnt slam hard enough eh?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 02:23 PM

The door caught your head as it shut m8 so you saved it smacking into me
I couldn't leave you, Fran and the Roland users club who love me all alone with no one to attack now could I?
I'm still reading threads, just not replying to many.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/25/06 02:36 PM

Quote:
I'm still reading threads, just not replying to many.

There is a heaven!!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/26/06 02:11 AM

So in the end.... YES u really DO need a Tyros2...yeah it really is MUCH better than the PSR3000. The End. Amen.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/26/06 03:33 AM

My answer to Donny's question....

No, I don't need a Tyros2.

I've since returned to my 3k after several weeks with the Tyros2 that I had on my Yamaha sample account.

I couldn't justify the price difference for things I'd never use.(HD recording, sample import, aftertouch)

The Live Grand in the PSR-3000 is perfect for my needs and it fits perfectly into the styles.

The other sounds are lovely as well, and after playing the Hammond B3 for more years than I'd want to admit, I don't miss the aftertouch and I prefer the light and responsive touch of the 3k.

I also love the convenience of built in speakers.

I believe the Tyros2 is the ultimate arranger, but ultimately, not for me.

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/26/06 05:40 PM

Quote:
Maybe Nigel should call this place TyrosZone, instead of Synthzone....

Fran. Considering the fact it's your best bud Donny himself who initiated this now 150+ posting "Tyros2" themed topic thread, seems like you (18 replies) & he (37 replies) may be a reason this is becoming "TyrosZone".

Quote:
Or maybe even call Scott Yee Zone being hes top poster

Ok Donny! I'm certainly not going to complain if 'you' want to call this the Scott Yee Zone but it will always remain: Nigel's "Synthzone General Arranger Forum" to the rest of us.

Quote:

& top super slueth aka buzy body

Super slueth (aka Charlie Chan) perhaps
Buzy body?! I'm primarily kept busy discovering many wonderful new exciting things I can do with my Tyros2, like: creating & importing custom TVN (WAV) voice samples, allowing me to further expand (and improve on) the already terrific T2 preset sound palette. In spite of all the negative T2 remarks made by some here, Tyros2 (like fine wine) just keeps getting BETTER for me. Donny, I'm only sorry you didn't keep your Tyros2 long enough to discover all it has to offer us as professional musician-entertainers. Though I appreciate what the PSR3000 and Tyros1 continue to offer, Tyros2 delivers (in both sound & features) so much more, and I can't imagine going backwards.

- Scott
Posted by: Nick G

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/27/06 02:34 AM

I am not even going to try and get myself into a hole here but I have a thought... the topic is "do you really need a t2"... well firstly.. is money part of the equation???

Donny, I am sure you love the PSR 3000 as much as I did and I was continuously amazed by its quality. But I must say, if you had the choice to trade your PSR 3000 for a Tyros 2 at NO EXTRA COST, surely you would go to Tyros 2.

putting money aside and whatever else or other features aside, It is definitely a far better board and has a far better sound engine than the PSR. the expressiveness alone is something that makes the PSR look or feel like a babys toy to a real piano player.

On stage and to bring in the money and entertain, of coarse the PSR 3000 will be sweet, so would a PSR 2000, or a casio wk or even a shabby roland.. LOL (thats a joke but I couldnt help myself).

so all i am saying is, if you had to choose a psr or a T2 and money was not in the equation, what would it be and why?

cheers,

Nick

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/27/06 07:32 AM

Scott don't forget your 11 substance post

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/27/06 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
I am not even going to try and get myself into a hole here but I have a thought... the topic is "do you really need a t2"... well firstly.. is money part of the equation???

Donny, I am sure you love the PSR 3000 as much as I did and I was continuously amazed by its quality. But I must say, if you had the choice to trade your PSR 3000 for a Tyros 2 at NO EXTRA COST, surely you would go to Tyros 2.

putting money aside and whatever else or other features aside, It is definitely a far better board and has a far better sound engine than the PSR. the expressiveness alone is something that makes the PSR look or feel like a babys toy to a real piano player.

On stage and to bring in the money and entertain, of coarse the PSR 3000 will be sweet, so would a PSR 2000, or a casio wk or even a shabby roland.. LOL (thats a joke but I couldnt help myself).

so all i am saying is, if you had to choose a psr or a T2 and money was not in the equation, what would it be and why?

cheers,

Nick

Nick $$ is not the problem all .....
Ive owned BOTH & many more....
& I still choose to return to the 3K
"FOR ME".
I rather not comment anymore,
everyone please enjoy your KB's
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/27/06 11:44 AM

Donny,
we are all enjoying our keyboards; ironically, the only one who seems having problems to do so is... you!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/27/06 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Donny,
we are all enjoying our keyboards; ironically, the only one who seems having problems to do so is... you!

Sorry to dissapoint you paisan....but I enjoy demoing new units on stage....
they are only a tool of the trade for me not a life long commitment by any means.
Keep making great music & enjoying your units.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/27/06 07:56 PM

can anyone tell me how to set up the quotes in replies?
is it a pc thing or can a mac do it?
MM
Posted by: Taike

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 02:26 AM

Quote:
can anyone tell me how to set up the quotes in replies?
is it a pc thing or can a mac do it?
MM

Click on the icon with the "letter and red arrow".

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 04:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
Sorry to dissapoint you paisan....but I enjoy demoing new units on stage....
they are only a tool of the trade for me not a life long commitment by any means.
Keep making great music & enjoying your units.

Donny mentioned to me on Skype a few weeks back that he gets about 400 bookings a year, so I can see why he has no problems or regrets swapping keyboards all the time.
With a huge source of yearly income from 400 gigs, losing a few hundred dollars swapping to another keyboard is peanuts for him.
Enjoy the 3k Donny until something new comes along for you to demo, maybe the E80?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 05:06 AM

At first, my main reasons for returning to the PSR-3000 were financial, as I had been off work, without pay, for over three years due to a family commitment, and I was just barely getting out of debt.

I put the Tyros2 away, and I took the 3k back out of it's case and started playing it, and it felt like an old pair of shoes(that still look good..LOL)and I found myself enjoying it's simplicity.

To be sure, the T2 is a great instrument, but I'd never use the features that make it much more costly than the 3k.

I'm not into loading samples and audio recording so these features would be wasted on me.

Like Fran with his G-1000, I have my 3k tweaked to sound far better than it did when I took it out of the box, and I'm very satisfied with it.

I'll wait for the 3k replacement, which should be well within my idea of what I want to spend on an upgrade.

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Click on the icon with the "letter and red arrow".

Thanks, Taike!!
Mo
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 08:25 AM

Ian .. I can relate... very much in fact. I was badly injured and out of work for quite some time a few years back. It took a while to get "back on my feet" both in the literal sense and financially as well. So..when I was able to, I bought a PSR2000, but at the time I had really wanted a 9000 pro.

In retrospect, the 2k ( my second one ) was a great board for the money, and did everything I expected of it. I just didn't like the way the keys responded to my playing. My first was a bug filled nightmare that my music store took back ( they agreed ) and I then got a Motif instead.

Then, later when I could, I purchased another 2k used, which I later sold again in anticipation of getting a Tyros. Then for a short time money got a bit tight again, and when that ended I dumped a ton of money into softsynths and apps.. a decision I've never regretted.

So finally I caught up enough again to get a T2. I didn't "need" one, but it feels so right when I play it, just like the Motif ES does. The MZ2000 also has a similar feel. The PA80 does not, so it's a bit of an adjustment, but not at all a problem. Anyway, I convinced the grandkids to take the PA80 instead of the MZ2000. They are thrilled with it. Plus, it's in the living room, so when I just wanna play something with speakers and no computer around, I can still play it.

Perhaps if I ever tired of the T2, and Yamaha offered a 76 key PSR version or a speakered version with the T2 keybed, I might bite. ( no I know it probably isn't happening so I'm not waiting around for it ). The thing is, I generally don't tire of boards that work well for me, which is why I kept my M1, Polysix, ( still have both but now in software ) and more recently my PA80 for so long.

Regards to you, and enjoy the 3000. I know it rocks, 'cause the 1500 I tried surely did.

AJ

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 12:31 PM

Too many nips today

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-28-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 12:33 PM

what happen ..what did I do?
Posted by: keybplayer

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 02:57 PM

Quote:
The Tyros2 is a different matter...it is light years ahead of the 3k(and T1) in terms of keyboard action and the SA voices and extra Sweet voices are definitely a cut above the great sounds in the 3k.

Ian

Light years? Me no think so. Me thinks you are exaggerating things a bit Ian.

The proof is in the pudding they say. So here goes.

This song was made on a Tyros(1). No SMF, it was sequenced exclusively on Tyros' onboard 16 track sequencer. It is a slow Jazz ballad called "There's No You" made famous by singer Frank Sinatra.

Here is the song:

There's No You

I invite anybody with a Tyros2 to record a song using only the Tyros2' onboard sequencer (no software sequencer and no external sounds e.g. .wav files, etc.) and post it here for evaluation. Then I will give you my honest opinion about the Tyros2' "light years ahead" claim.

PS: I recorded the sequenced song directly to my computer using Sony Sound Forge 7.0 and converted it to an .mp3.

Another PS: I cannot truthfully state that the Tyros2 is even a 'notch' above the Tyros as far as most sounds go in my opinion. Granted, there are some sounds such as the SAV voices that Yamaha has demonstrated very convincingly, yet in terms of the real world i.e. first hand experience playing a Tyros2 live with none of Yamaha's expensive demo producing techniques such as ultra sophisticated recording equipment and sequencing software, I really didn't notice much of a difference compared to a Tyros. I did like a few of the SAV voices such as the SAV Tenor Sax and a couple of the SAV strings and one or two of the SAV guitars but other than that the SAV's didn't excite me that much. And as far as the keybed I did like the Tyros2' keybed but the Tyros' keybed is no slouch either in my opinion. In fact if you play mainly Organ you may indeed prefer the Tyros' keybed over the T2's. But I also find the Tyros' keybed quite sufficient for playing Piano as well as all the other over 1,100 voices on the Tyros. Weighted Hammer Action would be the preference of choice for playing Piano of course but the Tyros' keybed is acceptable in my opinion as is the Tyros2' keybed since it is a little firmer than the Tyros'.

But I do commend Yamaha for coming up with the SAV concept and I'm sure they will continue to further enhance the SAV technology as time goes by. >> If they make a 76 key T3 I will definitely consider getting one.

The SAV's are going to get better and by then there will probably be a lot more of them included in the T3 or whatever they end up calling it.

Two or so more years is a long time to wait though. But patience is a virtue I've been told. Although you never know what's going to come down the pipe between now and then either. Yamaha who?? Enter Korg, Roland, GEM, etc. The field is wide open and competition is the spark that flames ingenuity and is the mother of invention.

It will be interesting to see and hear what the other keyboard manufacturers introduce in the next couple of years or so. The Roland E80 sounds great but only has 61 keys and it weighs a ton (figuratively speaking of course ). Korg is overdue as well as Ketron and GEM. So let the games begin!

My 2¢

Best regards,
Mike

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 04:00 PM

Mike, very impressively played Trumpet instrumental Jazz ballad showcasing Tyros1. I concur that Tyros1 continues to be a terrific sounding keyboard, and as long as it inspires your playing, stick with it. On the other hand, having owned a Tyros1 & Tyros2 now, there are (imho) quite a few dramatic sound & new features (HD drive audio rec, more responsive keyboard feel, text lyric display, and of course SA voices) to make it worth the price difference to people like myself. The one constructive comment I'd like make about your song is that I think the trumpet melody phrasing might benefit from a tiny bit more breathing space between phrases, of which allows a trumpet player just a little more time (fraction of a second more) to take a breath (in some spots). In addition, though your Tyros1 horns sound good, I believe Tyros2's SUPER ARTICULATION trumpet & horns provide more variety of expressive character = realism to their sound.

Scott

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 04:28 PM

Mike,

You obviously didn't read my last post...

I'll try to be a little more clear.

I could buy a T2 if I juggled my finances, but I won't do it.

The decision not to buy is based on two reasons.

1.The 3k is perfect for my type of playing, and my needs.

2.I'm not going to waste my money on a keyboard that I would use essentially as I do the 3k.

I agree that the SA voices, while at first, very impressive, do not make that much difference in "real world" situations.

I find my 3k is every bit as expressive in my hands as the T2 or the T1 for that matter.

I was lucky to be able to have the T2 for several weeks and find out that it wasn't what I needed before I made a purchase.

You don't have to prove anything to me...I have learned a valuable lesson on my own.

Thanks for your great post.

All the best,

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 04:49 PM

The brass on the T2 puts away the T1 ANYDAY.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 05:22 PM

Mike nice job......

Thanx for sharing your efforts and thoughts about the T1....I agree with many of them also.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 05:33 PM

Mike, I have to tell you..I am glad I own a Roland..

Mike come on...a trumpet player has to breathe...you are holding notes way to long and phrasing too long without a breath...
The sax I thought was terrible, way too low..I think possibly the Tyros2 has to sound better...I know my board does..

I appreciate your effort, but why showcase this tune...this way?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 05:34 PM

Quote:
I invite anybody with a Tyros2 to record a song using only the Tyros2' onboard sequencer (no software sequencer and no external sounds e.g. .wav files, etc.) and post it here for evaluation. Then I will give you my honest opinion about the Tyros2' "light years ahead" claim.
Best regards,
Mike

Scott can you post this tune for us played on your T2? I for one would love to hear the differences between the T1 vs T2?

Thanx

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 05:37 PM

Now I need a drink......a cup of tea will do...

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 05:44 PM

Mike,

About your tune...

Very well played and a great arrangement.

One thing I did notice is that the T1(and 3k) do not give the realistic legato phrasing that the Tyros2 has on the SA Trumpet.

When there is an attack on each note, as there is in your trumpet playing, it comes off as sounding less realistic.

That's where the Tyros2 has the edge, in my opinion.

A small detail , but an important one when you are trying for authenticity.

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 08:14 PM

Ian you are right most people do not realize the importance of legato..
Posted by: chony

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 08:24 PM

I only read the title - not the whole thread -- and I say that the performance of my T2 by far outshines the T1. And the proof is in the pudding: I've been getting a lot more compliments on my sound since purchasing it. I would recommend the upgrade for anybody doing this professionally.

Chony.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 08:24 PM

Mike,
First, let me say that I like the style used for this tune ...

Is the piano imbedded in the style or is that you playing?

I really didn't care for the sax sounds... was that 2 or 3 saxes playing in unison?

Mike I do appreciate you submitting this for us to hear....

t.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 10:29 PM

HI,
you fella's aren't exactly helping me make up my mind on which Yammie to get? psr3k or Tyros 2.
Both have their pluses & minuses.
Haven't heard or seen either.

As far as styles go, do they sound similar in quality or does the T2 sound much better?? Can they play each others styles without too many hassles??

For playing melody voices ie trumpets, sax , clarinet( voices in general) again are the T2 voices superior?

Is there a great deal of difference in the multipads ie can T2 multipads be played in a PSR3k & vice versa?

I have sample facilities, aftertouch etc in my SD1+, & 88 note weighted keyboard in the form of my Clavinova, so these functions are not really a consideration.

Maybe when hubby hears the price difference between the T2 , he may make the desicion for me haa haa.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 08-29-2006).]
Posted by: George V

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/28/06 10:56 PM

Quote:
Fran wrote:
When there is an attack on each note, as there is in your trumpet playing, it comes off as sounding less realistic.

That's what drives me crazy about the sweet! soprano sax. Each note stands for itself, no legato, broken melody.

SA voices is what should become standard for woodwind and brass voices.

Quote:
Rikki wrote:
Maybe when hubby hears the price ifference between the 2 , he may make the desicion for me haa haa.

I've always enjoyed your sense of humour.

Regards,

George

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 01:40 AM

Hi George,
if you have as much musical talent as I have
(my case ZERO ) & you'd spent all the money on keyboards I have over the years, you'd have to develop a good sense of humour
haa haa ( or cry ) . I think I prefer to laugh.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by George V:

Quote:
Rikki wrote:
Maybe when hubby hears the price difference between the T2 , he may make the desicion for me haa haa.

I've always enjoyed your sense of humour.

Regards,

George

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 01:49 AM

I sold both Tyros 1 keyboards I owned. I now have a Tyros 2 –There is a difference, this one I will not sell.

There’s no you is a nice recording, at least the trumpet part, but it is not a good song to use to judge a keyboard. There is not much happening, the tempo and the instruments are just kinda there, no more.

Years ago we gave a name to this kind of music; “Music to jump off a roof by”. Aaaaaah

This is the second time I have posted this opinion;

If you have tried a keyboard or owned it for less than 60 days you do not know the keyboard. This does not apply if you are stepping up from a similar keyboard.
Psr3000 to a Tyros 1.
Tyros 1 to a Tyros 2.

Every major keyboard can do a great job if it is used as it was designed to be used, and not like you used your last keyboard. When I stopped trying to use my Tyros 2 the way I used my KN7000 I began to appreciate and love my Tyros 2, it’s fantastic.

IMHO, John C.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 02:15 AM

Very nice style but IMO the trumpet and sax sounds don't compare to the ones on a T2 and the T2's SA trumpet and alto sax don't even come close to the sampled ones loaded in on my T2.
Thanks for sharing the song, enjoyed it.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 03:07 AM

The Tyros 2 multipads now use mega voice. The Tyros 2 guitars,sax,trumpets,brass,accordion sound way better than the Tyros1 or PSR3000. The Tyros2 offers an INCREDIBLE quantity of sweet live cool sounds compared to T1 and PSR3000. Thd T2 styles sound more lively and have more punch is is MUCH better than T1. I would like to hear a soprano sax comparison between the Tyros2 and G70
Posted by: nielshs

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 03:55 AM

Hi Craig

For the first time I agree with you.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 04:16 AM

Quote:
Very nice style but IMO the trumpet and sax sounds don't compare to the ones on a T2 and the T2's SA trumpet and alto sax don't even come close to the sampled ones loaded in on my T2.

Craig instead of talking why dont YOU post some of your sampled sounds so we can judge for ourselves how they sound when played on the T2 within a song....I'm not convinced at all .....
I still believe that any KB will not over ride the talent in the person playing it.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-29-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 04:39 AM

Hello Nielshs I've missed you and wondered when you'd resurface on SZ Let's hope things stay civilised this time around.

Donny I've already posted a sampled alto sax being used previously on the Hero song and that sound was very well received on Synthzone. I had quite a few e-mails and people asking me on Skype where they could get it from. Also on that song I used my own piano and guitar edits (not samples) and a style tweaked by myself. Unfortunately I don't share any of the samples I've got or have done with anyone.
As for the other samples, I may decide to post another song using them but quite frankly I've been posting my songs elsewhere since all the hassle started on here.
I have sent 'Break Free' by Queen out to a few friends on Skype. I'll think about posting it for SZ users to hear. No samples on that just my edited internal sounds using the PC voice editor.
Quite frankly any of the T2 owners using sampled WAV sounds already know that they sound excellent, so posting a song using them would only convince the likes of yourself m8.

Maybe you could post one of your performances done with your 3k when you have time?, I'd love to hear what you are currently doing.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 04:56 AM

craig .... your post says it all

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 03:37 PM

Quote:
Mike,
First, let me say that I like the style used for this tune ...

Is the piano imbedded in the style or is that you playing?

I really didn't care for the sax sounds... was that 2 or 3 saxes playing in unison?

Mike I do appreciate you submitting this for us to hear....

t.

No Style was used Tony. It is a multi-tracked song made exclusively using the Tyros' onboard sequencer. The Sax you hear is actually the Tyros' SaxyMood voice. The SaxyMood voice includes not only a Sax but also a Trumpet AND a Clarinet sound in it. It is one of the Tyros' "layered voice[s] within a voice". The other voices in the song are the Sweet! Flugel Horn, the Live! Grand Piano, the panel Acoustic Bass, and the 'standard' Brush Kit.

Ian, I'm sorry. I thought you owned a Tyros2 already and gave your "light years ahead" claim based on that presumption.

Hey everybody! If you all have the money and don't need more than 61 keys then I "highly" recommend you get a Tyros 2. In fact, you can't really even find a 'new' Tyros for sale online anymore. All the online retailers that I've been to have made the switch to the Tyros 2. The only place you can find a Tyros is at Guitar Center and possibly from George Kaye or DanO but Guitar Center has bumped the price back up to $2,999 from $2,495 when the T2 was first introduced. So it would make sense to spend the extra $600 or so to get the T2. The Hard Disk recording feature, slightly firmer keybed, SAV's and extra Sweet!, Live!, and Cool! voices are worth the additional cost in my opinion. I personally don't like the pointed design of the Tyros2 and a few other anomalies, but the stealth bomber look might not be a big factor to most people and they will be getting the latest advancements in Arranger technology. And apparently the 'pointed design' is not a factor to most because the Tyros 2 is selling quite well and is the #1 selling high-end Arranger on the market from what I understand.

But the 'allusion' to the "light years ahead" comment is unfounded and I would have to simply call it for what it is: an "illusion".

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Fran, I would love to hear an instrumental piece from your G1000 using the onboard sounds alone with no external software sequencing and no imported sounds. Talk is fine and dandy my friend but you need to walk the walk also. Then and only then can we judge the content accordingly, and your words (if true) can be backed up.

And I also extend that offer to any of our other members who own a T2, Pa1X/PRO, G-80, etc. Talk is cheap. Anybody can say anything they want to. But backing up your words with "proof" is where the rubber meets the road, no? So let's hear it. I'm waiting......

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, anyone that listens to the song I posted should do so on a decent sound system with decent speakers otherwise you cannot really hear the intended sounds as they are meant to be heard. In other words, listening to it on cheap (no offense) PC speakers will not do the song justice. You need a good GM sound card like a Sound Blaster Live!/Audigy, etc. and quality PC speakers, or better yet a good quality external sound system.

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 08-29-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 03:59 PM

Mike send me your tune ..you already recorded it as a SMF..If you want I will record the same tracks less your realtime parts[Sax and trumpet],,I will play the leads the way I think they should sound..

If you don't want to do it this way , I can select a Roland style and record it...but it might be interesting to hear the same style..

Sorry if I offended you , but you did ask for comments. I was offering constructive criticism..

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:

Ian, I'm sorry. I thought you owned a Tyros2 already and gave your "light years ahead" claim based on that presumption.

But the 'allusion' to the "light years ahead" comment is unfounded and I would have to simply call it for what it is: an "illusion".

Best regards,
Mike

So sorry my friend, but I did have a Tyros2 with me for several weeks on my Yamaha sample account.

No "illusion", the T2 is MUCH(or "light years", if you prefer) better at wind voices because of the legato phrasing.

Your recording did not reproduce that type of phrasing which is essential for realistic trumpet, flugelhorn, sax etc.

As I mentioned earlier, the constant re-attacking of the notes is bogus.

As they say,"close, but no cigar."

I can make similar noises on the 3k and save myself the expense of a Tyros1.

No, my friend, I shall wait for the 3k replacement for it surely will have SA voices, and, at a great saving of cash, something, I'm sure, we could all appreciate.

All the best,

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 04:26 PM

Fran, ALL the parts are realtime parts. There was no Style used. Each track was recorded separately using the Tyros' sequencer i.e. the Live! Grand Piano part, the Bass part, the Flugel Horn part, etc. hence the term "multi-track" song. >> The Drums part was made using the ModernJazzBld Style, but the accompaniment was not used, just the Drum Brush sound with some Drum embellishment notes added manually.

Fran, I also think you should do an original recording not one that has already been recorded for you even if you do give it your own 'take' on it as you say. You could consider it a 'labor of love' if nothing else. Which is not to say that it wouldn't sound great mind you. The G1000 was considered top-of-the-line in its heyday so I for one am very intrigued as to how it will sound if you do decide to end up making a recording. I realize it might take you a while to get it done but I'm in no hurry.

Btw, no offense taken Fran. I wasn't upset by your comments, just calling you on them.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 04:35 PM

Ian.....good informative post, & makes mucho sense to me.....do whats best for you.
3k, T1, T2, Pa1x, Sd-1, G70, G1000, Genesys, Casio, etc, just make music & be happy doin it.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 05:29 PM

Fran,

I, too, would like for you to put up a song done on the G-1000 to see how it compares with the T2, T1 and even the 3k.

How about something that would feature the voices that you think are superior, or the equal of the Yammie sounds, and something that was played entirely by you....not a SMF used as a background.

Something using a style would be fine, if you don't want to multitrack it.

I'll be looking forward to hearing you play solo, and outside of the band situation, which is where I heard you earlier.

Come on...let's hear a good one.

Ian the Curious.

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, anyone that listens to the song I posted should do so on a decent sound system with decent speakers otherwise you cannot really hear the intended sounds as they are meant to be heard. In other words, listening to it on cheap (no offense) PC speakers will not do the song justice. You need a good GM sound card like a Sound Blaster Live!/Audigy, etc. and quality PC speakers, or better yet a good quality external sound system.

FWIW ... I have a Sound Blaster Audigy2 card and logitech Z5500 spkrs hooked up to the PC ...
t.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/29/06 07:46 PM

Tony how was it thru your Z5500 system?

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 09:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Fran,
I, too, would like for you to put up a song done on the G-1000 to see how it compares with the T2, T1 and even the 3k.

How about something that would feature the voices that you think are superior, or the equal of the Yammie sounds, and something that was played entirely by you....not a SMF used as a background.

Something using a style would be fine, if you don't want to multitrack it.

I'll be looking forward to hearing you play solo, and outside of the band situation, which is where I heard you earlier.

Come on...let's hear a good one.

Ian the Curious.

Hi Fran.
I agree with Ian, I would love to hear something played live by you or anyone else (no SMF or multitrack) on the G1000.
I still own a G1000 but have to say the T2 is miles ahead of the G1000 IMO. The G1000 is still a great instrument for gigging with but it certainly shows it's age now.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 09:49 AM

Quote:
Mike, I have to tell you..I am glad I own a Roland..
The sax I thought was terrible, way too low..I think possibly the Tyros2 has to sound better...I know my board does..

Fran,

I'm anxious to hear your recording and compare the G-1000 with the Tyros...and if it is as good as you say it is.

Did you decide not to a solo MIDI?

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 10:07 AM

Quote:
Fran,

I'm anxious to hear your recording and compare the G-1000 with the Tyros...and if it is as good as you say it is.

Did you decide not to do a solo MP3?

Ian

Sorry for the extra post...hit the wrong icon.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 08-30-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 10:31 AM

Still Goin...

[img]http://jiffyjack.com/ims/thumbs.php?u=38l2qmW&i=6483[/img]

I may not not need a Tyros2 but I may want it anyway. I think that I have gotten to a point where I could make use of Tyros' capability to layer more than 2 voices on right-hand side.

I also like the fact that the pads can be toggled on/off independently.

But if the length of travel of each piano-key has not been shortened and tightened up a bit, I probably would stick with what I now have.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 08-30-2006).]
Posted by: pasadoble

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 10:34 AM

I too bought a T2 to replace my PSR3000..I immediately missed the compact size of the 3000, I prefered the screen on the 3000, the T2 screen I found very sluggish and would fly past a page I wanted in an effert to get to a particular page on the fly, I hated the rickety ratchet sysyem on the T2's screen and worried that over a period of time it would fail...so I kept my PSR3000 and still enjoy performing on it...sold the T2 at a loss but feel I did the right thing...the massive difference in cost between the T2 and the PSR3000 compared to the fairly small audible perception from my audience made it a rash and costly decision to purchase the T2....If Yamaha built a compact instrument along the lines of the 3000 with the sound of the T2, it would be a winner.
Rgds
NJH

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 10:37 AM

Quote:
Still Goin...

[img]http://jiffyjack.com/ims/thumbs.php?u=38l2qmW&i=6483[/img]

Sorry, Mr. Ed....I think Fran must be ignoring the requests.

A fine player like he is shouldn't have any trouble putting up a demo of his G-1000.

I was just anxious to hear another nice tune.

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 10:53 AM

Here guys.. No SMF and no styles..Listen to the breathing areas that I mentioned..just the G1000..

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=927137DF0A04DF47

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:03 AM

OK guys one more, and don't bug me any more!!
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=CBD81491009D674E

SA tones..who needs them...I'll keep my oldie but goody..until one of you guys show me better!!!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:07 AM

Well Fran if that is really you playing a G1000 the sounds certainly sound far better than I remember the G1000 doing (it even sounds better than the G70 IMO). If you can play like that live why on earth do you need to use midi files and MP3's?
Also on the MP3's properties why does it say genre blues and Made with Sonic Foundry Acid 3? Are we actually hearing a G1000 live with no fancy editing, or has reverb effects etc been used from Acid 3... Please explain what the download actually is.
Sorry for editing but I forgot to mention that Sound Forge also comes with Acid 3 and I think the new Acid 4.

[This message has been edited by Craig_UK (edited 08-30-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:09 AM

Well Fran,

First of all...is this you playing?

If it isn't, I am very disappointed you couldn't/wouldn't share your skills with us.

If not,was there a reason you chose not to...I figured a player with your skills would have presented a very nice demo.

If it is you, it is a very nice performance.

The strings and brass are very good and pretty close to the 3k and T1, but they are far behind the Tyros2.

The solo wind instruments are nice as well, and again pretty close to T1 and 3k, but still are a long way from the T2.

The biggest difference is there is no legato phrasing and "real" instruments do not re-attack on every note.

The T2 will do legato on the winds and strings.

It is the only thing about it, I really miss.

Ian

------------------
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:17 AM

As far as I can tell, it is a demo CD from Germany that I had sent Fran.

Still sounds great though.

Eric

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:24 AM

Hi Fran.
I agree with Ian, I would love to hear something played live by you or anyone else (no SMF or multitrack) on the G1000.
I still own a G1000 but have to say the T2 is miles ahead of the G1000 IMO. The G1000 is still a great instrument for gigging with but it certainly shows it's age now.

The Acid Pro was the recording software, and Yes it is as Eric says..

Come to my shows and I will handle a request from you guys..
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:29 AM

Hi Fran,

I just went to your website and watched the video of your band.

Great show.

Eric

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:30 AM

I had a strange feeling that you wouldn't post your own solo playing.

I suppose you have your reasons....

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:34 AM

Ian I don't have the time ....posting all these bashing posts on SZ.

I posted before without any comments from you guys ..so what is the gain..I will upload one I played before..

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:35 AM

Nice not to share the Acid pro software use beforehand Fran. To me they sound like Sound Forge sounds in use, but's that's only my opinion. I can't see why you don't post something of you playing live, what you got to hide?
If I came to America I'd glady come to see you perform, but I only go to see lives acts so you'd have to keep your SMF/MP3 at home.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:44 AM

Quote:
Ian I don't have the time ....posting all these bashing posts on SZ.

I posted before without any comments from you guys ..so what is the gain..I will upload one I played before..

Sounds like your backing out to me....

Why not put up a new solo tune played by you...no SMF....just you and that smokin' G-1000?

There's lots of time...no rush...

I'm very interested to hear your music...consider it a long distance request from this poor old Cape Bretoner.

Come on...let 'er rip....give us a nice fresh new tune.

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:47 AM

Here Craig, and Acid Pro is software from Sonic Foundry [now owned by Sony]..Don't you know anything?

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=9E7A574D1F24848B

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:54 AM

Don't I know anything, no idea what you are on about there Fran.

I certainly know about Acid, I've used it for years now. I also know when someone is backing out or trying to fob everyone else off on SZ.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:58 AM

Craig you no NOTHING!!!

Let me hear you play something ..get away from thoses boring auto arranger ballad styles you use..maybe a left hand bass,, Show me what you got?...Swing something for me..I don't think you can swing a tune..

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:06 PM

Fran stop being a total prat and take a day off. I am now ignoring you as you bore me stupid.
You've heard one ballad from me and a U2 song. You no sod all about my background, my musical tastes, playing etc. I've got more swing in my little finger than you have in your entire body. I know what I'd like to swing in your direction!
PLUS I play live, no SMF ever or any MP3 backings, no faking (as on your groups webs site which is obvious) you've never shown us what you can do. I'm wondering if you can actually play the G1000 live without resorting to using someone elses pre-recorded work?
That's it from me....

[This message has been edited by Craig_UK (edited 08-30-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:11 PM

Quote:
Craig you no NOTHING!!!

Let me hear you play something ..get away from thoses boring auto arranger ballad styles you use..maybe a left hand bass,, Show me what you got?...Swing something for me..I don't think you can swing a tune..

Fran, we have all heard Craig play solo, and using a style...unedited and "live"

It was excellent.

Now, would you please put a song played by you up so I can hear how nice the the G-1000 sounds in the hands of another skilled musician?

No SMF...just you...."live" and unedited.

Use a style if you like.

Come on buddy, just a little tune would be fine as long as it is you...

One of the Standards would be nice...

Don't be mad at me...I just want to hear you play...I just hope I'm not making you uncomfortable.

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:22 PM

The last link by Fran sounds more like a G1000.
All of me, Pennies from Heaven, Fly me to the moon

My comments:
No change in the sounds at all throughout the 3 songs, the style has little variation, could do with putting far more feeling into the songs.
Maybe MP3 and SMF are better for some.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:24 PM

hi fran me &craig &scott kno plenty so leave craig alone m8 he is a super star

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:26 PM

Ian go back 4 post and download the medley..I can't make it any easier to hear a tune..

As for Craig good riddance, and you wouldn't want to try and swing anything at me...believe me..you are not that bad, even if you had a friend or two with you..Don't threaten me , even in jest..

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:31 PM

fran i dont think craig is making a threat m8

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:33 PM

I like to exchane niceties more, but I have to head out to a shore gig...Where are you guys playing tonight?

I am at the CrabTrap in Ocean City area..If any of you NJ folks would like to stop in..See Ya..

Sorry Willie , he hasn't showed me anything....yet!!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tyrosman:
fran i dont think craig is making a threat m8

Tyrosman, you are correct.
Craig said "Fly me to the moon", not "Fly you to the moon"

You guys keep this up and by Christmas, this thread will have more posts than Scott Yee's grand total back to 1999.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:47 PM

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:47 PM

Uranus?!

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:49 PM

Seventh planet from the sun..consisting of mostly Hydrogen..

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 12:53 PM

Thanks, Fran, for sharing that very nice medley.

Well played, and, except for the lack of voice changes, very nice to listen to.

I did hope for the sounds that you claimed were the equal of the Tyros, but I guess since this was something you did a while ago, that wasn't to be.

I sincerely hope you can find the time to put up something fresh that features the sax and other wind instruments, so I can hear the G-1000 keeping pace with the T1(and 3k).

Thanks for sharing this wonderful old recording from the past.

All the best,

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 01:03 PM

Are we still taking requests here?
Speaking of swinging,

Can someone play "England Swings like a pendulum do..." (Roger Miller? maybe)

or can you play "Far Away"?
(the farther the better)

or can you play solo?
(So lo i can't hear you!)

AHHhhhh!!!! Its contagious

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 01:05 PM

Quote:

I am at the CrabTrap in Ocean City area..If any of you NJ folks would like to stop in..See Ya..

Crab Trap ... wasn't that Uncle Dave's old place?
t.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 01:19 PM

Crab Trap? I remeber a little story...

Declan the Crab
Declan the humble crab and Kate the Lobster Princess were madly, deeply and passionately in Love. For months they enjoyed an idyllic relationship until one day Kate scuttled over to Declan in tears.

"We can't see each other anymore...." she sobbed.

"Why?" gasped Declan.

"Daddy says crabs are too common," she wailed. "He claims you, a mere crab, and a poor one at that, are the lowest class of crustacean... and that no daughter of his will marry someone who can only walk sideways."

Declan was shattered, and scuttled sidewards away into the darkness and to drink himself into a filthy state of aquatic oblivion. That night, the great Lobster Ball at THE CRAB TRAP was taking place. Lobsters came from far and wide, dancing and merry making, but the lobster Princess refused to join in, choosing instead to sit by her father's side, inconsolable.

Suddenly the doors burst open, and Declan the crab strode in. The Lobsters all stopped their dancing, the Princess gasped and the King Lobster rose from his throne. Slowly, painstakingly, Declan the crab made his way across the floor...and all could see that he was walking not sideways, but FORWARDS, one claw after another!

Step by step he made his approach towards the throne, until he finally looked King Lobster in the eye. There was a deadly hush. Finally, the crab spoke..............

Aw man, old timers disease just kicked in ... someone finish the story.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 01:26 PM

In my humble opinion there are only 2 categories where the g1000 beats the Tyros2. Vocal choirs and the sfx kit. The rest including guitars,flutes, accordion, saxes, trumpets, drums, styles and any sound i missed all leave the g1000 in the dust. However i rate the g1000 sounds better than g70. The T2 is one hell of a keyboard and i hope to buy one in the near future
Posted by: GlennT

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 01:31 PM

As far as a reply to this post's title... no.

As far as most of the "replies" here... you guys are all nuts. Keep this up and Nigel's gonna pull the plug on the whole forum.
Posted by: trident

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 01:48 PM

GlennT,
Amen x 3,with sugar on top.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pasadoble:
I too bought a T2 to replace my PSR3000..I immediately missed the compact size of the 3000, I prefered the screen on the 3000 ....

If Yamaha built a compact instrument along the lines of the 3000 with the sound of the T2, it would be a winner.
Rgds
NJH

NJH,
That "winner" may be in 3000's replacement thats coming out soon.

I'm very curious as to see/hear what the PSR3000 replacement will feature that could be different enough from the 3000, without its features/functionality being very much like the Tyros2. Doing that, at a PSR price would anger a lot of T2 owners.

If its nothing more than harmonizer improvements and fine tuning of voices and styles, it won't do me any good.

Posted by: Spalding1

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 03:28 PM

the T2 is already a winner. It has outsold any other recent arranger in its class. Yamaha dont need to make any adjustments until the competition show up with something better.
Posted by: Vadim

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 03:52 PM

Answere to the question: "Do You really need a tyros 2"
No, I think KORG OASYS would be enough(even thou i dont have one yet),
and by the way that PSR-3000 Dude is a great player, he also has videos of himself on TYROS, so don't assume he just uses psr-3000, he has a tyros too(even thou both Tyros/tyros 2/PSR-3000 are very semiliar... but tyros 1 and 2 are more colored and stuff, which attracts kids very much)

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 08:14 PM

Hi pasadoble,
I'm in the middle of trying to decide whether T2 or PSR3k.
Did you notice a great deal of difference in sound & quality as far as listening to styles goes. I gather some of the voices for melody would be superior on the T2,
but I like the idea of the portability of the psr3k.
Do you know if style creation & editng functions are the same on both boards??

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pasadoble:
[b]I too bought a T2 to replace my PSR3000..I immediately missed the compact size of the 3000, I

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 08-30-2006).]
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 08:23 PM

Quote:

Crab Trap ... wasn't that Uncle Dave's old place?
t.

Yup ! Fran and I both frequent that spot !

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 08:43 PM

Can't believe this has gone on this long........

Only wish my Chord Sequencer thread got the same legs, guess I'll just have to insult somebody (Donny, you up for it??!!)

As to the T2 SA voices thing, I got to say (as a horn player myself) the T2 is the ONLY thing I have ever heard that can play a true legato phrase, period. WX7 - nice phrasing capabilities, bad tone....... G70, nice tone, bad phrasing..... MotifES, nah...... Triton, nah..... Kurzweil, nah....... NONE of them have the capability to differentiate between legato and detached playing, A real sax tongues in phrases, not notes.

Donny, if you can't hear this, you just got to start playing with some real horn players, and look at them when you take a sax solo........ if you still had your T2, you'd see worry, not contempt (not with your playing, just the sound...)

Fran, you've got to get off your high horse. As a G70 user and fan, even I can admit that there are some things in the T2 I like. Not enough to buy one, but I am jealous of the SA sax. I imagine that somewhere, some place, there's a T2 owner who might like a Chord Sequencer from the G1000, or the GrandX from the G70, but like you, they are probably to proud to admit it.

Me, I don't mind admitting that because no-one make the perfect arranger, there are things from other's arrangers I wouldn't mind having, just not at the cost of losing what I prefer from my own.........

If only we would stop defending our arranger's honor, and start admitting what we like from other manufacturer's features, maybe our manufacturer would take notice and implement them, instead of just patting themselves on the back for making what everyone says must be the perfect arranger.....
Posted by: DonM

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi pasadoble,
I'm in the middle of trying to decide whether T2 or PSR3k.
Did you notice a great deal of difference in sound & quality as far as listening to styles goes. I gather some of the voices for melody would be superior on the T2,

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pasadoble:
[b]I too bought a T2 to replace my PSR3000..I immediately missed the compact size of the 3000, I

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 08-30-2006).]

Rikki, I have never told you wrong, right?
The Tyros 2 is head and shoulders above the PSR3000. Aside from money, there should be no decision at all.
DonM
Posted by: abacus

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/30/06 11:09 PM

I don’t want to put a spanner in the works but at festivals, demos and general keyboard society’s in the UK, most people do not put the Tyros 2 on top of the pile except in the styles department and the odd voice.
In the same price range as the Tyros 2, the board that always comes top (Even before tyros 2 was launched) is the Korg PA1XPro. (If you look round at professionals that play arrangers in the UK a great number have or are moving over to the Korg)
If you go to the 61 note PA1X (Which also has speakers) the price drops considerably, and while still not in the PSR 3000 price range is getting close.
As I don’t have or intend to purchase any of the boards mentioned in those price ranges, (I play a Wersi Abacus, and so none of them come close to make me even think about changing) I have no axe to grind with any of them.
To answer the original question, No you do not need a Tyros 2, but if you like it above the others, and have the dosh, then go for it, as in the final analysis it can only be a personal choice.
To add to the post, when Tyros 1 was released you would be forgiven for thinking that it was outselling others, (And so must be the best) were as in reality, in the shops that sold both the Tyros 1 and the Technics KN7000, (So people could compare the 2) the Technics KN7000 outsold the Tyros 1 by a factor of 2 to 1.
I think this must be the longest post I have seen since I joined the synth zone

Bill

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/31/06 01:54 AM

Hi Don,
trust your judgement & taste implicitly ,
now all I have to do is convince hubby, double the price is worth it haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki
p.s. I'm actually hanging on to the sd1 as well, I've got the pedal board & cable you sent to consider.
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

Rikki, I have never told you wrong, right?
The Tyros 2 is head and shoulders above the PSR3000. Aside from money, there should be no decision at all.
DonM

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/31/06 02:58 AM

Having tried the pa1x i can tell u its a good board that sounds much better than g70. Excellent key feel and harmoniser. Now compared to Tyros1 i must say the Pa1x styles are poor. The guitars are better on t1. The brass is better on pa1x. The harmonica is excellent on both. Most other sounds are neck and neck with T1 with the T1 just having the edge. Now compared to t2 im sorry but the t2 brass is greatly improved and with the new improved sounds and styles the T2 in my books leaves in Pa1x in the dust. The ease of use is better on the Tyros. Pa1x touch screen is a joke... But if the tyros didnt exist then obviously i would go for the pa1x.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/31/06 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
[B]I'm in the middle of trying to decide whether T2 or PSR3k.

best wishes
Rikki

Hi Rikki,

Style creation and editing functions are identical.

The T2 has superior voices and many styles benefit.

I love the portabilty of the 3k and the built in speakers....and it's much lower price.

Hope this helps.

Ian

------------------

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/31/06 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Yup ! Fran and I both frequent that spot !

WOW ... the mind's not COMPLETELY shot !!!
t.

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/31/06 06:58 AM

a guy at Yamaha I spoke to says that the psr1500 is every
bit as good as the psr3K and 2lbs lighter, and $500 less,
and without the (ugh) kb-porn tricked-out multicolor doodads. so if you don't need a few of the newer voices
and a couple other special features, it's the best value.
why is nobody addressing that and spending all this space
arguing apples and oranges: T2 v.3K?
i'm whacked out because I'm trying to improve on my old
Korg is-35 and Technics kn2600 and don't seem to be
able to. The paix's and g-70's are too heavy and I hate touchscreens, The T2 and sd5 and sd1+ are lighter but still more weight than I like,plus I stupidly bought a
Genesys ProS because it is the most versatile and logical and elegant looking but "silent killer" 41.8lbs! so I have to
sell or swap. Somebody wants to swap me for a Roland
Discover5 kbd hooked up to a Midjay. Is that the best
way to go IYHO or should I just sell and get psr1500? or
a better controller/module option for jazz gigs than the oneI was offered, but I don't know what that might be..do you?

------------------
Miami Mo

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/31/06 12:13 PM

Quote:
a guy at Yamaha I spoke to says that the psr1500 is every
bit as good as the psr3K and 2lbs lighter, and $500 less,
and without the (ugh) kb-porn tricked-out multicolor doodads. so if you don't need a few of the newer voices
and a couple other special features, it's the best value.
why is nobody addressing that and spending all this space
arguing apples and oranges: T2 v.3K?
i'm whacked out because I'm trying to improve on my old
Korg is-35 and Technics kn2600 and don't seem to be
able to. The paix's and g-70's are too heavy and I hate touchscreens, The T2 and sd5 and sd1+ are lighter but still more weight than I like,plus I stupidly bought a
Genesys ProS because it is the most versatile and logical and elegant looking but "silent killer" 41.8lbs! so I have to
sell or swap. Somebody wants to swap me for a Roland
Discover5 kbd hooked up to a Midjay. Is that the best
way to go IYHO or should I just sell and get psr1500? or
a better controller/module option for jazz gigs than the oneI was offered, but I don't know what that might be..do you?

Mo,
At the time I bought my 3000, I tried the 1500 and it would have been adequate for me and my music making plans at that time.
But I had run this comparison (link below) to compare featues of the 1500 and 3000, and decided to spend the extra bucks and get the 3000.

If I did not have the extra bucks at the time, I would have went with the 1500.

Compare 1500/3000

Some key features that can justify the price difference (to me) is
128/96 polyhony
64mb Rom to 16mb
Color monitor to monochrome (although, i now wonder if the monochrome would have worked better outdoors?)
Playback + Recording 16 channels on the 3000, not on the 1500.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 08-31-2006).]

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 08/31/06 03:09 PM

Thanks Ian,
I've decided to leave the desicion to hubby, if he doesn't collapse when I tell him the price of the T2 I'll go for it,
on the other hand, I'll be more than pleased with a PSR3000, just be nice to have a Yammie again.

I miss having multipads & having read certain parts of the manual, it appears the style editing functions are better than what I thought. Plus there's all the style editing software created by Michael, Jorgen & Jos.

Either way, I'll be pleased.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianmcnll:
[B] Hi Rikki,

Style creation and editing functions are identical.
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ? - 09/01/06 01:55 PM

I've decided that this thread is much longer than I want any thread to be. For this reason I have decided to close it now. Hopefully most of you would agree with me.