Hi John
Bill has a performance platform built in. I can't afford his rig. This means what he has at his fingertips, I would have to program a controller keyboard for. Eventhen, there would be parameters not accessable. It is a fine board, and one of the two pioneers in computer music.

However, everything has advantages and disadvantages. Mine is a double rack space roadworthy,rackmounted unit (16lbs), requiring an 8 lb controller. It is Linux based, non proprietary,167 gig w/1 1/2gig ram. This simply means that I can take it on the road, and have the capacity to house the largest sample libraries, and arrange about 4 million patches, or 16 banks of 8 multi's(multiple patch congigurations)loaded into ram at any given time. I can save 16,000 presets(registrations) . I can play 57 instruments at one time, with chosen effects. I can host other programs like Kontact, which has it's own OS.

It being Linux based, programmers are coming onboard because that don't have to contend with proprietary restrictions. This is a new flavor of an older concept; to provide the capacity,non-obsolescence, and versatility of a computer, packaged in a rackmounted unit with a great graphic interface.

Now, the disadvantages pertain mostly to one man arranger performers. No, it doesn't do Karaoke, email, and solitaire. At least not on the programs that came with the unit. It will respond to program changes with GM programs, or you build your own banks in SMF with the greatest samples available. I have ordered Collossus, which has a huge collection of the greatest live samples , and it includes a GM section. I ordered B4'2, a great Hammond B3 program.
You can split any patch into any zone, as well as manipulate the ADSR, transp,etc,etc.

Bear in mind that this is not primarily an arranger module, but there are many programs already out, and more coming, that would lend itself to this. The main disadvantage is being slower in making changes on the fly. This is where an arranger shines. On the otherhand I can easily exceed the quality of sound found on the major arrangers, and play an orchestra with on finger.

In conclusion, I am barely aware of all the capabilities before me, and will happily use my good old KN7000 for what it does best. As time goes on more programs will be available for us arranger guys.

It is doubtful that I can get my programs in a learned in time for the Jam. We'll see.
I don't even have a controller yet, except an Oxygen 8, 25 note job. I haven't even programmed it.
Bernie