Knowing someday I will have to get another keyboard, I have decided to go the software route as I believe that is where our industry is headed.

The Receptor is like a super module capable of handling many VST's at once. http://www.museresearch.com/

Eventually, I will use a controller keyboard as the master, but I wonder if my KN7000 will suffice as the master in the meantime. This way I can have best of both worlds, as the quality of the instruments through EW's Colossus and NI's Bandstand easily surpass any hardware synth on the market today.

My Receptor is coming with a 160 gig hard drive and 1 1/2 gigs of ram so I shouldn't have a latency problem. There are trade offs, to be sure. The operation platform is not as convenient as a dedicated keyboard for live play, but there are programs like Kontact that I can put into the receptor that will automate much of the bank/patch changes.

The bottom line is that with the price of a new keyboard, I can have an openended system that I can add to and change at will without doing the same again in three or four years.

Since this is a brand new approach for me, I would appreciate any advice from those going down the same road.

Bernie