KN7000 and Muse Receptor

Posted by: Bernie9

KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/06/06 01:30 AM

Knowing someday I will have to get another keyboard, I have decided to go the software route as I believe that is where our industry is headed.

The Receptor is like a super module capable of handling many VST's at once. http://www.museresearch.com/

Eventually, I will use a controller keyboard as the master, but I wonder if my KN7000 will suffice as the master in the meantime. This way I can have best of both worlds, as the quality of the instruments through EW's Colossus and NI's Bandstand easily surpass any hardware synth on the market today.

My Receptor is coming with a 160 gig hard drive and 1 1/2 gigs of ram so I shouldn't have a latency problem. There are trade offs, to be sure. The operation platform is not as convenient as a dedicated keyboard for live play, but there are programs like Kontact that I can put into the receptor that will automate much of the bank/patch changes.

The bottom line is that with the price of a new keyboard, I can have an openended system that I can add to and change at will without doing the same again in three or four years.

Since this is a brand new approach for me, I would appreciate any advice from those going down the same road.

Bernie
Posted by: RMepstead

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/06/06 05:57 AM

Eh - didn't understand a word of that Bernie - clearly you're entering a world that is alien to me...chuckle.
Rog

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/06/06 06:50 AM

It is rather uncharted for me too, Rog, but I'll stumble along until I reach my goal.
Bernie
Posted by: Douglas Dean

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/06/06 07:44 AM

Bernie, I like that attitude.

Grandpa Doug
Posted by: bruno123

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/06/06 02:12 PM

Bernie, You are leading the way, I can't wait.
I hope you are bringing the unit to the Jam.
John C.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/06/06 02:15 PM

Yes, John.
We will have a little show and tell. I am hoping someone there can give me some pointers.

Bernie
Posted by: sturgeon

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/07/06 12:27 PM

A viable option might be to hook up a laptop running energyXT as host. This would let you run, and chain together as many VSTis and VSTfx as you have processor power for.

Cheers,

s.

(edit)
Just tried this using the (free) asio4all driver to drive my KN2600 and energyXT via my desktop computer. Works a treat using the KN as master keyboard and audio output device.

I've just been trying out a technics song loaded from a SD card layered with a synth bass from an Oberon VST instrument played from the KN keyboard. Then I tried a 180Mb multisampled Steinway Grand piano. Superb quality, and zero latency.

The ability of the KN2600 to use the same lead for midi output and audio input is excellent! I'm happy enough with SD audio for extra sounds at the moment, but Bernie is right, the VST instrument route has fantastic potential!

[This message has been edited by sturgeon (edited 03-07-2006).]

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/07/06 01:56 PM

I may be wrong but this sounds like an alternative approach to the Receptor, which has all kinds of power and capacity for my needs. I wasn't clear but, I have already ordered the Receptor, as my laptop isn't up to the job of runnings VST's. I just need to get my laptop sequencer talking to the Receptor for Midifiles, and the KN7000 and/or a controller keyboard to handle styles and lead instruments midi'd to Receptor.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/09/06 04:03 PM

Hi Bernie,
it may also be worth while checking out something like One Man Band software for styles/laptop/receptor.
OMB uses psr .sty files. They'll need tweaking & there's plenty of psr styles around on the net.

I've had my softsynth arranger setup for a couple of years now. Nothing as fancy as your receptor. The controller you mentioned sounds interesting, where did you find the info.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/10/06 02:34 AM

Hi Rikki
I am not sure which controller you are referring to. I am looking at the CME line, but I am having trouble getting out of the chute. I can't get the KN7000 to talk to the Receptor, eventhough all parameters seem to be right, like matching channels, switch on midi, KN as a master,etc.. The little Oxygen 8 controller does, but only 25 note.
Posted by: abacus

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/10/06 02:55 AM

Hello Bernie
Not sure about the KN7000 but master mode on most keyboards, separates the actual keyboard from all the KN7000 sounds, which means they will only play via midi.
I am not sure what knowledge you have on Midi, but please remember the Midi cable does not carry Audio, (A common misunderstanding by new uses) so you will need to connect the audio output of the Receptor to your KN7000 or an external amp and speakers.
If the KN7000 is in Master mode then to hear the KN7000 sounds you will need to connect another Midi cable from the Receptor to the KN7000 Midi in.
Hope this helps.

Bill

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/10/06 04:30 AM

The KN2600 USB cable carries both MIDI and audio.

Iam sitting here playing VSTis on my computer from my KN2600 keyboard and listening to them through the KN2600 speakers.

I have only the USB cable connected! This cable is also used to create an audio master file on a PC, so it can deal with audio in both directions (but not simultaneously).

Cheers,

s.
Posted by: Bazz Woods

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/10/06 04:38 AM

Hi All,

The only problem with all this guys is
If like me a KN2600 user you play live and use every feature (performance pads,fillins,different pedal settings etc).
I dont think a Muesse and mother keyboard setup could do this.
New sounds yes

Barry

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/10/06 05:43 AM

If you have a KN2600 and a computer with a VST host you can have it all as far as I can see. I am playing a Technics song at the moment that is using some KN2600 sounds and some VST instruments. I can still use performance pads and play live from the keyboard.

The same would apply when using SD audio tracks for backing vox or whatever.

We seem to have it all!

s.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/10/06 02:14 PM

The master mode on the KN7000 simply means that it is the controller. I can swith local(KB) sounds off and on per part if I choose. Hence I can layer or hear either. I did get the USB to work. As Sturgeon says, you can get Audio and midi.

This thing is both simple and deep. but I know it is a road warrior. and will get it together eventually.

The tech support is tremendous, and have helped a lot.
Bernie

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/10/06 03:58 PM

Hi Bernie,
the cme line with some sort of style functions ?? something that's coming out in the future.

Have you got your midicable corect??
midi out kn to midi in receptor.

Make sure you've got the right setting on your kn, I haven't had mine for a couple of years, so I'm a bit rusty on the functions.
Something along the lines of
KN as master sending either to a soundmodule or maybe maybe even a computer
( as long as it's via midi not usb)
You should also have the option of using styles. I just can't remember all the different setups available.
I tried something similar with my sd1, ie use sd1 styles with a soundmodule sorce but I wasn't succesful, it doesn't appear to send out the initial program & control changes required so it's back to my omb software /laptop for styles.

If you're literally just wanting to use the kn7 as you would use your oxygen controller
is there some way of turning off arranger functions & using it the way you'd use a synth. Then try turning local off ie no sound at all from the kn7, try setting your midi out channel to 1, make sure all the other 15 are set to off.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but unless I have it in front of me, I can't remember how stuff works.

best wishes
rikki

[B]Hi Rikki
I

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/11/06 01:46 AM

Hi Rikki
Thank you for your suggestions. I am afraid I have done all the above. As last resort, I plugged in USB and it works. The only problem is that note off sometimes isn't received, and it hangs up.

Until such time as I get more proficient at this, I plan on using a CME VX controller when Yamaha sends them to the dealers. I play in a band, as well as solo, and the Receptor will be great at layers, or multy's in this application. I will get some killer sounds loaded and use the KN7000 for what it does best. In the future, I will look into arranger functions.

All I can say is that this is some awesome machine, and the only limitation is myself and the proper software. This will come.

I bought this looking to the future, and I am sure I made the right decision. The sounds in the Receptor going through the Bose is enough to curl your toes, and I haven't even gone past the freebies. Hopefully with you, Frank, Esh,Tapas, Sturgeon, Abacus, and others, we will have our own little niche.

Bernie

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/11/06 06:14 AM

Sturgeon,
Are you getting latency with ur Vst instruments .
Im using Steinbergs Nuendo latency on record
but not on playback.
Havent tried standalone vsts yet

Cheers barry

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/11/06 06:45 AM

Hi Barry,

I am getting no latency at all. Yours could well be caused by your ASIO driver, especially if you are using Steinberg's default mutimedia or directX full duplex drivers. I am using asio4all, which is free, very reliable, and is set to usb audio device and hardware buffers.

Cheers,

s.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/11/06 04:42 PM

Hi Bernie,
you'll find a dedicated controller will probably work far better than trying to use the KN for that purpose.

I was using my digital piano ( Clavinova, no style functions) as a controller for my laptop/omb/softsynth realtime arranger setup, and it does a far better job and way easier to setup, than using my SD1 keyboard.
The arranger functionson the sd1 get in the way.

Reason for using piano is that I play in full pianist mode and mainly use piano for melody voice, other than that, I'd buy a dedicated controller.

One thing you may be able to explain,
does the Receptor load a complete set of sounds on startup??

When it comes to using a softsynth arranger setup with a program like OMB, the sounds required for" styles " really need to be loaded into some sort of memory and ready to use, without having to wait for them to load each time a program change occurs for a style part, so basically softsyths like Hypercanvas, soundfonts & maybe a couple of others will work, they're there waiting to be accesed by the program changes.
So can a bank of gm sounds be loaded into memory on start up of receptor.

Also some of the large samples from just say Colossus have to be streamed from hard disk to computer, therefore only making them useful as a melody sound not, suitable for a style parts, do you know if receptor works the same way? or is a colossus sample actually loaded into memory on startup?

happy to year you figure you made the right choice.

best wishes
Rikki

[B]Hi Rikki

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/12/06 02:52 AM

Hi Rikki
I have given up un the KN7000 as controller for reasons you have stated. I am using my little Oxygen 8, until I can get my CME VX. The KN is a wonderful arranger, and does it very well. So be it. I will use the Receptor in the band for lead voices until I load in some arranger VST'S.

It can hanle single,multy's, and separate apps like Kontact,Garrison, etc., which are programs in themselves. You have to load banks of GM patches beforehand, and save them in one of the 16,000 slots(banks,not patches)available. I am not sure on some of the VST's mentioned above, if you have to do that. These operate within their own hierarchy. Some,I believe, call up their own banks. The question of Colussus is one I had about streaming. One of the guys said the intial attak is in ram, and then it streams. I think Frank also mentioned it would not be fast enough some performance situations. I am assuming this is good for lead voices.

Here again, I am just venturing forth, and don't have the proper software to evaluate the performance. I am just careful about what I buy. You can sink a fortune between, Collusses, Ivory, Garratin, B4, etc.

As Frank(Godfather) said, you can invest as much as a top arranger, and have superior quality forever without trading boards. You can also have a setup like he has, and spend much more. That is what is good about the software approach. You can start off small, if you wish, and build. Whenever new software comes out, or if there is an update, one can always keep current.

I am deciding on software, and will know more soon.

Bernie

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/13/06 08:28 PM

Thanks Bernie,
software sounds definately seems the way to go in the future with the price of some of it, you definately need to choose carefully. Please keep us informed on your progress.
best wishes
Rikki
[B]Hi Rikki

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/14/06 07:11 PM

Bernie, you have my interest. Before the Kn1000 keyboard came out I went to a local music store and sat with a controller hooked up to five Kurzwell tone modules. One for pianos, one for strings, brass, guitars and misc. The best I have ever heard. The package was selling for $15,000, I did not buy it.

Sooooo, I bought a controller, Roland, and two sound modules. I controlled the modules with a volume for each unit. Later I used them with a KN2000. Lots of great sounds --- but a lot of work. They were all connected with midi wires.

That is the extent of my knowledge. My questions to you are:

1-Live playing ? How do I select variations, fill inns, pads, and all the things you do live when playing?
2-Does it play Karoake files?
3-Do you see the lyrics?
4-What do I lose by going the direction you have chosen?

I know so little about the terms you have used in your post, although they may be easy to you now. What?s VST ? things like that. As the saying goes, ?Start from number one?. If you have time.
The thought of keeping and only upgrading sounds so good.

Reserve a seat next to you for me at the forum. Ha ha ha

John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 03-14-2006).]

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/15/06 12:24 AM

Hi John
The easiest way to think of a VST is as a Hardware Expander (Like the Kurtzweils you mentioned) but done entirely in software on a computer.
As an example, take the Pocket Calculator which has a hardware case and buttons, then have a look at the calculator on your computer, both do the same job, but the one on the computer is purely software.
The software route is the most probable future of Arranger Keyboards, and I am fortunate in that I play a Wersi Abacus keyboard which has the computer built, so I can run all the software instruments I need, with no wires or configuration to worry about. (Ok there is the mains lead)
Hope this helps.

Bill

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/15/06 12:51 AM

Bill, thank you. It seems simple enough, can't wait till I see what Bernie has. There is enough being said about this new technology and the future to have my interest.
Thanks again, John C.

PS, I had one of the first Wersi Abacus keyboard made -- beautiful, but so unfriendly. I hear the keyboard is now in the $6,000 to $9,000 now.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/15/06 02:33 AM

Hi John
Bill has a performance platform built in. I can't afford his rig. This means what he has at his fingertips, I would have to program a controller keyboard for. Eventhen, there would be parameters not accessable. It is a fine board, and one of the two pioneers in computer music.

However, everything has advantages and disadvantages. Mine is a double rack space roadworthy,rackmounted unit (16lbs), requiring an 8 lb controller. It is Linux based, non proprietary,167 gig w/1 1/2gig ram. This simply means that I can take it on the road, and have the capacity to house the largest sample libraries, and arrange about 4 million patches, or 16 banks of 8 multi's(multiple patch congigurations)loaded into ram at any given time. I can save 16,000 presets(registrations) . I can play 57 instruments at one time, with chosen effects. I can host other programs like Kontact, which has it's own OS.

It being Linux based, programmers are coming onboard because that don't have to contend with proprietary restrictions. This is a new flavor of an older concept; to provide the capacity,non-obsolescence, and versatility of a computer, packaged in a rackmounted unit with a great graphic interface.

Now, the disadvantages pertain mostly to one man arranger performers. No, it doesn't do Karaoke, email, and solitaire. At least not on the programs that came with the unit. It will respond to program changes with GM programs, or you build your own banks in SMF with the greatest samples available. I have ordered Collossus, which has a huge collection of the greatest live samples , and it includes a GM section. I ordered B4'2, a great Hammond B3 program.
You can split any patch into any zone, as well as manipulate the ADSR, transp,etc,etc.

Bear in mind that this is not primarily an arranger module, but there are many programs already out, and more coming, that would lend itself to this. The main disadvantage is being slower in making changes on the fly. This is where an arranger shines. On the otherhand I can easily exceed the quality of sound found on the major arrangers, and play an orchestra with on finger.

In conclusion, I am barely aware of all the capabilities before me, and will happily use my good old KN7000 for what it does best. As time goes on more programs will be available for us arranger guys.

It is doubtful that I can get my programs in a learned in time for the Jam. We'll see.
I don't even have a controller yet, except an Oxygen 8, 25 note job. I haven't even programmed it.
Bernie

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/15/06 06:27 AM

Hey guys - I'm even further back than John C and wish I was coming to the Jam to see what Bernie's on about - tell me do you use your fingers on the ivories with all this stuff or does it do it all for you?
Rog

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/15/06 06:37 AM

Hi there Cheeky Boy
I'll have you know that I not only play everything myself, but have to control all parameters by remote control.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/15/06 10:19 AM

Quote:

PS, I had one of the first Wersi Abacus keyboard made -- beautiful, but so unfriendly. I hear the keyboard is now in the $6,000 to $9,000 now.[/B]

Hello John
Not sure about he US, but here in the UK the Abacus costs £4890, however since 2003 most people go for the Ikarus which is half the weight of the Abacus, (The Abacus is Essentially a single manual Verona Organ, Hence the weight) has 76 notes and has virtually all the features of the Abacus but costs only £3900.
Much has changed as the OAS software has developed, and I must admit I always found OAS easier to use then other keyboards, (But then I built and played Wersi’s in the 80s) if you follow this link http://www.worldofoas.co.uk/issues.htm you can download a magazine which has a brief history of OAS (Can you spot the version you had) and also includes details of OAS 7. (The latest version) I currently run OAS 6 (But started off with OAS 4) and will be updating to OAS 7 a bit later in the year.
Enjoy.

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 03-15-2006).]

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/15/06 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
Hey guys - I'm even further back than John C and wish I was coming to the Jam to see what Bernie's on about - tell me do you use your fingers on the ivories with all this stuff or does it do it all for you?
Rog

Rog, the last time I saw Bernie play he was scratching his backside with his left hand and playing with his right hand so this my be just what he needs.

Ops, Sorry Bernie, John C.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/15/06 02:32 PM

Hi Bernie,
just wondering if there's any sounds included as part of the package when you purchase receptor, or are they all demo's and then you buy the one's you want?

I noticed you mentioned programs. Does it actually load sequencers or arranger software, or by programs, are you referring to "sound" programs like samplers etc

I actually managed to download a manual for it, very interesting reading.
best wishes
Rikki
[B]

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/15/06 03:20 PM

Hi Rikki
Go here: http://www.plugorama.com/customer/home.php

Click on different categories in the upper left. Some are tested, some not. The rep said they are feverishly testing out new programs on a daily basis. Some are not compatible because the two companies have to agree on terms ($).

I am very enthused about the possibilities of saving up to 2 million MULTI'S OF 16 patches and each one can have up to 3 effects applied. My Collossus will arrive Friday. Based on what Frank says, we should start to see some quality sounds soon.

The sounds and programs with Receptor are okay if you like effects, synths, and basses. The better ones are there for a 30 day trial. I activated the 30 day trial on B4(NI's B3 program), very impressive. They have Kontact too, which I haven't tryed.

They give you enough to whet your appetite so you will buy from Plug-O-Rama, they're software arm. However, you don't have to. It is not proprietary. They will even let you download a helper file for free to enable you to load Collossus,e.g. There is also a font repository called "SFZ" for free.

I haven't even scratched the surface yet, but I am working on it.

Bernie

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/16/06 01:11 AM

Hey John C - I've found out what a receptor is...
What The Heck is a Receptor?
Introduction
In the context of science usage the term "receptor" is used to describe any molecule which interacts with and subsequently holds onto some other molecule. The receptor is the "hand" and the object held by the "hand" is commonly named, the ligand. The green and blue "hands" shown in the images above are each binding a red-colored ligand The interaction between receptor and ligand implies specificity in that a receptor known to bind with substance X would not normally be thought to also be able to bind with a different substance Y unless actually observed to do so. If you think of a two-slotted electrical wall outlet as a receptacle (receptor) for a two-pronged plug (ligand), it is pretty easy to see that a three-pronged plug (ligand) will not fit into this particular receptacle. And, depending on the type of two-slotted receptacle, even some two-pronged plugs may not fit.
Rog
Posted by: bassclef

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/16/06 06:20 PM

Hi Rog,

Thanks for the illumination.

Suddenly it all makes sense --NOT!!!!
Maybe if you could explain it in English...?

Regards,
George
Posted by: bassclef

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/16/06 06:38 PM

Hi John C

Re your question "What is VST?"

It stands for Virtual Studio Technology.

I hope this helps you; -- it doesn't do much for me!

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/16/06 11:19 PM

VST technology was developed by Steinberg in the late 1990s and first saw light of day in their Cubase VST.

To run a VST instrument you need a VST host. Most of these have to run on a computer but Receptor is a free standing host.

VST technology encompasses the whole gamut of studio stuff, there are VST instruments and VST effects by the hundred - reverb processors, delays, phasers, compressors, enhancers, surround simulators - the lot. The quality varies from so-so, to absolutely astounding!

There are also many free and low cost VST hosts, Tobybears Minihost and energyXT being being excellent examples. There are hundreds of free, shareware and full price VST instruments, effects and hosts here,
http://www.kvraudio.com/index.php?s=main#news2692

(click on hidden quick links) as well as masses of news and information about VST.

Cheers,

s.

[This message has been edited by sturgeon (edited 03-16-2006).]

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/17/06 12:16 AM

Hi Bernie,
thanks for the link,
I'll have a read & see if I can make a bit more sense of it.
Basically, when you ordered collosus, could the same program be used in receptor and/or in a computer. In short just say I started off with a computer & bought garriton orchestra , collosus etc , then down the track decided to buy receptor and use it as my soundsource instead of my computer, would I be able to use those same programs in receptor??

Frank's been telling us how wonderful the sounds are, but my laptop didn't have enough memory to run them, so I've never really checked them out too thoroughly.

best wishes
Rikki
[B]Hi Rikki

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/17/06 12:37 AM

Hey all - I've just found out what Bernie does with his hands using this Receptor.. http://www.wimp.com/jugglingact/
Rog

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/17/06 12:50 AM

Hi Rikki
Yes, you can use your existing software, but there might be a "crossover" fee charged for another install. It varies with the company and program. The range I have seen is 0 to $69. Some give you two installs from the start. Some, no restriction.

GPO and Collossus have no charge. You can use their helper file free. I don't know how many authorizations they give, however.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/17/06 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
Hey John C - I've found out what a receptor is...
What The Heck is a Receptor?
Introduction
In the context of science usage the term "receptor" is used to describe any molecule which interacts with and subsequently holds onto some other molecule. The receptor is the "hand" and the object held by the "hand" is commonly named, the ligand. The green and blue "hands" shown in the images above are each binding a red-colored ligand The interaction between receptor and ligand implies specificity in that a receptor known to bind with substance X would not normally be thought to also be able to bind with a different substance Y unless actually observed to do so. If you think of a two-slotted electrical wall outlet as a receptacle (receptor) for a two-pronged plug (ligand), it is pretty easy to see that a three-pronged plug (ligand) will not fit into this particular receptacle. And, depending on the type of two-slotted receptacle, even some two-pronged plugs may not fit.
Rog

Wow Rog, I think I've got it. Hmmmmm.
On second thought I think I just lost it.
John C.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/17/06 05:20 AM

I feel there is going to be a steep learning curve here ? and it may very well be worth the effort. New terminology and new concepts ? I?m open, let?s go. (Before I get too old)

John C.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/17/06 10:47 AM

That's The spirit, John. That is how I feel. The approach is a little different, but we are familiar with the concepts. Think how hard it would be for a beginner. The Receptor hosts Kontact and other programs within programs that automate changes. We are getting in on a flood of new programs that will make changes on the fly.

By the time we learn the basics, they will be in place. Aftertall, there must be a reason Yamaha bought Steinburgh, one of the most respected software makers.
Posted by: Keyboardcapers

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/17/06 03:10 PM

Hi there John C - are you still confused!. Perhaps this will help you understand. Here is an example of what receptors can actually do.

Receptors are critical to the life of all cells, whether or not the cell represents an animal, a plant, a fungus, or a bacterium. Every function, response, interaction, pathway, process, and any other term you might think of that concerns the moment-to-moment existence of a cell, is controlled by various receptor/ligand-induced systems.
Human cells need a source of energy in order to maintain life. One such source is the sugar molecule, glucose. All of the materials necessary to utilize glucose are inside the cell. And, in order to obtain glucose we must absorb it in some way from our intestines. There are special receptors, called carrier proteins, within the membrane of cells which line the intestinal "wall". These carrier proteins are specific for glucose and energy is used to pump the glucose into the cells that line the intestines. Through interaction with other kinds of glucose carrier proteins, glucose eventually is deposited into the bloodstream. There, the glucose molecules reach cells throughout the body. Glucose cannot, however, simply diffuse across a cell's membrane and enter the cell. The movement must be facilitated by a cell's response to the hormone, insulin. Insulin receptors on cells, bind to a specific region of the insulin molecule, and this interaction triggers a molecular "wiggling" of the insulin receptor. The result of this slight movement causes a chemical reaction to occur (part of the insulin receptor is actually a kind of special enzyme which transfers phosphate groups). This reaction triggers further specialized reactions within the cell along a very precise activation pathway which ultimately result in the uptake by the cell of glucose.
Another kind of receptor, the acetylcholine receptor, specifically interacts with a chemical substance known as acetylcholine (asseh-teel-ko-leen) and this interaction allows nerve impulses to travel to a muscle and trigger movement of an entire muscle group. Other kinds of receptors in our nasal tissue (olfactory tissue) are connected by nerves to our brain. When certain chemicals react with receptors specific for them, we may experience an automatic withdrawal/avoidance reaction as one result. Our brain interpreted the nerve impulses in such a way as to lead to a "warning". The ability to respond to such a warning signal depends upon our genetic makeup - the genes which lead to all of these kinds of responses. Alternatively, if we possess receptors in our nasal tissues which can bind to molecules emitted by the flower of a lilac bush, we may react pleasurably to this "smell". I know I do.
Therefore, receptors are necessary for many, many things. Without receptors, we'd lead a pretty dull existence. And, although we might not experience pain, either physical or emotional, we'd also be unable to experience any of the joy of life.

Keyboardcapers

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/17/06 04:07 PM

Thanks Bernie,
sounds pretty amazing, so no redundency, you just keep adding more sounds as you choose & should one ever decide to switch from computer to receptor ( or vice versa) the money spent on building up the sound library
isn't wasted, the sound library just gets transferred to the new hardware. ( with maybe some small fees involved).
best wishes
Rikki
[B]Hi Rikki
Yes, you can use your existing software, but there might be a "crossover" fee charged for another install.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/18/06 01:50 AM

Hello All
A few things you should remember when using VST Instruments.
1. All VST Instruments require processing power to do there job, both Receptor and a Computer only have a Finite amount of processing power, and this is what will limit the amount of VST Instruments you can use simultaneously, NOT what it says on the box..(Go for the fastest CPU you can afford, and don’t forget that although most programs cannot yet make full use of Dual core CPUs, Windows XP can)
2. RAM. All VST Instruments require there own Ram space, so the more you have the better they will run, this is particularly important with programs like Colossus which, although using Disk Streaming, still require a large amount of Ram to work, Colossus recommends 1Gb of FREE Ram to work at its best. As the other VST Instruments and the Operating System (If you’re using a computer) also require Ram, I would suggest a Minimum of 2 GB.
3. HARD DISK. Disk Streaming requires the hard disk to send the Data at high speed, so I would recommend a 7200 RPM Drive (Even in a Laptop) with a larger buffer as possible. (Forget 2Mb)
4. COLOSSUS. This program is mainly a 32Gb set of samples, and while editing features are available, they are very limited in comparison to a program like Kontakt 2, however it does use the Kontakt audio engine, so you can buy a Kontakt 2 upgrade (A lot cheaper then the full program) which will convert Colossus in to a full version of Kontakt 2, but with the 32Gb sample set of Colossus.
Hope the above helps.

Bill

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/18/06 06:13 AM

Heres a link that might be of interest.

Bill
http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/18/t/017616.html
Posted by: etwo4788

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/18/06 07:44 AM

KEYBOARDCAPERS......WOW! Now does that make sense or what? ~:-))

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/19/06 01:53 AM

Thanks, Bill, for the link and other good information.

I will have 2 GB of RAM by Wed.,along with Colossus. The Muse tech guys will walk me through installation. Since I am not primarily a piano player, I will use B4'2, and Colossus. I will hold off on Ivory for awhile, and fill in on a smaller piano program. My first conscern will be the DFD operation with Colossus. Until I get more adept at controllers, I bought an Edirol PC-80 controller kb that will sit on the second tier of my Apex stand(excellent keybed,with 3 velocity curves). The KN7000 will be on the bottom. The Receptor will be used for leads. This should be light work for the Receptor.

Bernie

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/19/06 07:11 AM

The KN7000 will be on the bottom. The Receptor will be used for leads. This should be light work for the Receptor.

Bernie

Bernie, now you really have my attention.

John C.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/19/06 09:22 AM

Hi guys

The juggler who is he.
Just incredible.

Barry

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/19/06 09:55 AM

I'm glad you're having fun.

I'm talking about the controller keyboard, attached to the Receptor(in the rack)on the top tier, and the KN7000 on the bottom tier.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/19/06 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
I'm glad you're having fun.

I'm talking about the controller keyboard, attached to the Receptor(in the rack)on the top tier, and the KN7000 on the bottom tier.

Understood Bernie, I have a modest controller keyboard, I use it with my KN7000 to trigger a different solo sound from the KN7. It?s just like an organ with two keyboards.
Hmmmm, see you next week, John C. ---Jam Time---

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/19/06 06:55 PM

Hi Bill,
sorry to get off topic,
wondering if you can help, as you appear to be knowledgable on computers.
Unfortunately a Receptor is out of my price range currently, but I am after a new laptop.
Problem is I'm totally confused. A couple of years ago I bought a dell with pentium 4 ,512mb memory , 3.02 ghz.

The current affordable ones appear to have centrino processors, or some have core duo but only running at 1.66, 1.73ghz , 667mhz fsb with 2 mb cache.
Have laptop processors actually gotten slower , or am I missing something. I had been thinking of maybe getting Garritons orchestra but it requires 2.4 ghz or better.

best wishes
rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by abacus:
[B]Hello All
A few things you should remember when using VST Instruments.

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/20/06 12:30 AM

Hello Rikki
You are quite correct, Clock Speed no longer relates to processor speed, and it was started quite a few years ago by Cirus, follow this link which will give you all the information you need. http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/
The 3 GHz CPU in your Dell will be fine, just upgrade your memory to as much as the Dell will allow. (I recommend 1 GB minimum, ideally 2 GB)
Hope this helps.
BTW. If you require any further help on this subject you can email me directly, (Just click the email link) or if you have Skype you can give me a call, when I am online. My Skype name is: abacusks1
The only thing you have to remember is that I am located on the opposite side of the world to you.

Bill

Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor - 03/20/06 01:06 AM

Hi Bill,
thank you so much for the link. Unfortunately I can't upgrade my Dell, it's no longer working ( I think it got overheated, after I accidently left it switched on) it sort of went into meltdown, and I haven't had a chance to see if it's repairable. I'm actually planning on replacing, so your link will come in really handy.
Thank you for the offer of help. I'll do a bit of reading and see if I can make sense of it.

best wishes
rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by abacus:
[b]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 03-21-2006).]