Quote:
Originally posted by Michael P. Bedesem:
I have a differnt 'take' on the lack of arranger sales in the USA.

The "pro Yamaha" instruments came first to the USA and were very successful (DX7, etc).

When the arrangers first arrived, they were, correctly, viewed as consumer 'toys' and marketed only thru mass retailers.

Later, when the arrangers became serious instruments, the pro outlets did not offer then. Why, I do not know. But perhaps their earlier reputation, or perhaps inter-company competition, was a factor. The fact is that there is minimal distribution for these instrument in the USA. In my view, that is the major factor for the relatively poor showing in the USA. Few people will spend thousands for an instrument that they can not touch!

Just my guess...

Regards,

Michael

I had to buy mine without ever seeing one. No one in my region had it in stock way back when and I have yet to ever see one in a store in a area of the country with over 2 million people.

Personally, I had a very long discussion with a Yamaha rep over the telephone regarding the then top of the line 9000. I was told that the Tyros would be released within a few months and that Tyros would be far superior and have everything someone performing or working in studios would need and it would include all of Yamahas keyboard making technology. (I paraphase but it was definitely along those lines). Yeah right.

Danny