Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

On ANOTHER note, here's an interesting statistic I learned from a Yamaha keyboard representative I spoke with recently. 95% of all mid to high-end Yamaha arranger keyboard sales are to Germany & Europe. with the USA accounting for 'less than' 5% of the market. Subsequently, arranger sounds, styles, and features, are all specifically designed to appeal to German & European musical tastes & desires. Arranger kb manufacterers have yet to figure out how to attract hi-end arranger kb appeal to the US market.

Scott

Fascinating!! What makes us as Americans so different from our European counterparts?

Let's look at a few shall we? Okay, I may be off here but one thing to consider is America has been entrenched in the idea of the traditional Workstation concept i.e. anything other than an Arranger. All of the Bands here use Workstations, even your so called Garage Bands. And that concept has been ingrained in our society (and musicians in particular ) from the inception of Keyboard technology here in the States. Rick Wakeman of the group Yes was one of the first big names to use a Keyboard in a live setting. Before that it was usually an Upright or real Grand Piano that was used during a performance. And Arrangers were no where to be found because there was no such thing as an high end Arranger back then just Stage Pianos and Workstations basically. Arrangers came on the scene much later.

To change people's mind set and open them up to a new concept in Keyboard technology and music making is rather difficult evidenced by the fact that the manufacturers can't figure out how to sell mid and high end Arrangers here in the States. The musicians say we have something that works so if it ain't broke why fix it? And besides Arrangers have been marketed for the most part as Toys sold in department stores for children so musicians don't know any different in my opinion.

BUT the concept is slowly changing in my opinion. As word gets out that there are Arrangers out there that aren't toys and have the quality of sounds comparable to the top end Workstations and are extremely useful to musician's music making ability, then the idea of an high end Arranger on his or her short list will be more readily embraced. But to do that in my opinion the manufacturers need to change their marketing strategy. Market the mid and high end Arrangers more as "Tools Of The Trade" for Musicians instead of "Be Your Own Band!"

An Arranger can be an awesome tool in the music making process for musicians. From scratch pad, to getting ideas for songs, to making whole arrangements in a relatively short amount of time can be a real boon to gigging musicians. And they will be willing to pay the price if the quality and features are up to snuff. But so little is known about Arrangers in the Music World (except the concept to them as toys sold in department stores ), that they don't know any different.

They've GOT to realize and understand the invaluable resource an high end Arranger can be to them in the music making process. When that dawns on them - THEN they will change their view of what an Arranger really is and how extremely useful it can be in the process of making music and song making.

Apparently Europeans have not been as ingrained in the concept of using only Workstations and Digital Pianos for their music making needs; and possibly that the toy Arrangers aren't sold to the degree that they are in the States thus the idea of Arrangers as only toys sold to children doesn't apply to them. They don't have that "toy" mentality when it comes to what an Arranger really is and can be.

Also, the idea of sounding like a Band and making beautiful music can be very soothing and uplifting on those coooollllddddd winter days and nights. And when you think about it their winters last up to six months in some locations, so there are millions of people with little else to do when the snow is half way up the side of their houses during the winter and outdoor recreational activities are substantially hindered as a result. And Europeans LOVE music, so mid and high end Arrangers fly off the shelves so they can have a hobby and do what they love, i.e. make music and sound like a live Band during those times, or any other time for that matter.

There are other reasons of course but I think the main reason is, as I stated previously; when Americans find something that works for them and they don't know or understand the alternatives at their disposal i.e. "high end Arrangers and the gold mine that can be attained in using them in the music making process", and also having the concept in their minds that they are toys sold in department stores for children - then can you blame them??? Can you blame them for shunning Arrangers even though they are considered High End???

Manufacturers have to change that concept in their minds before Arrangers will be accepted to the degree that traditional Workstations or Digital Pianos are now in my opinion.

Hold Symposiums here in the U.S. like they do in Europe. Fly Michel Voncken over here and let him do a 50 city tour promoting the Tyros 2. Send flyers to all Music Retailers in the cities that are included in the tour, including all Guitar Center outlets. Make the admission free and add other enticing benefits such as hands on workshops, special pricing for pre-sale orders and or multiple order items above a certain dollar amount. Don't limit the stay to one day per city. Make it a e.g. 3 day stay in each, etc.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Why do I waste my breath? Who's listening anyway? Steve seems to have flew the coop and I don't think any other Yammie employee frequents this site anymore. In fact I believe Yammie is changing their strategy concerning Keyboard or other type of Music Forums. They are concentrating on Forums that are their own such as Arrangerworkstation.com and Keyfax.com and are shying away from others not "endorsed" by them. Steve Deming has been silent (hopefully he still reads the posts though). Mike Martin who used to post regularly over at Musicplayer.com has been silent recently. Yammie even up and moved him back east to Chicago because in my opinion they wanted him 'dis-connected' from that site and from participating in it... out of sight out of mind type of thing. Instead Yamaha in my opinion is trying to take a back seat to the goings on at other Music Forums not endorsed and owned by them. We will see if my take on the situation stands up to scrutiny.

sigh... The other manufacturers are more than willing to answer questions and participate in various music Forums.

You know what they say though don't you? "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen". Apparently Yamaha can't stand the heat.

Note: These are expressely my opinions based on my observations and are not necessarily fact. As Fox news says: "We report - You decide".

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 08-27-2005).]