Quote:
Originally posted by Michael P. Bedesem:
I have a differnt 'take' on the lack of arranger sales in the USA.

The "pro Yamaha" instruments came first to the USA and were very successful (DX7, etc).

When the arrangers first arrived, they were, correctly, viewed as consumer 'toys' and marketed only thru mass retailers.

Later, when the arrangers became serious instruments, the pro outlets did not offer then. Why, I do not know. But perhaps their earlier reputation, or perhaps inter-company competition, was a factor. The fact is that there is minimal distribution for these instrument in the USA. In my view, that is the major factor for the relatively poor showing in the USA. Few people will spend thousands for an instrument that they can not touch!

Just my guess...

Regards,

Michael

I think you are correct with that being one of the reasons for a lack of arranger sales in the USA.

And it’s the chicken and the egg which one comes first story.
Arranger manufacturers are reluctant to put a good amount of arrangers in the distribution chain if they don’t think there is a sizeable market to distribute it to. On the other hand, the market (most keyboard players and consumers) would not want to buy an arranger if it is not readily available to try out (in the distribution chain) especially if they have to spend a lot of money.

I think until manufacturers look at arrangers as serious professional instruments, and start making them and marketing them as such; Until arranger manufacturers start marketing arrangers to professional musicians; until seasoned arranger users demand from arranger manufactures a professional sounding and looking arranger and settle for nothing less; arranger keyboards will always be a small part of the keyboard market.