See that's the problem Dnj. There's nothing difficult about these modern workstations in terms of use to the a person who understands them. The manual for these units aren't written for the novice, nor should they be. It's not the manufacturers duty to "teach". The manual is there for reference and basic instruction. As with any keyboard "hands on" will always be the best way to go. It's the buyers responsibility to educate themselves in the terminology, and concepts of what a synth/workstation is before buying it.

The problem is yes people buy into the hype, but too often people are buying synths with the "out of the box" arranger stereotype. They don't understand that these are pro level instruments and are not designed for the novice. So the makers shouldn't have the duty of teaching the buyer here. That's why they also make budget synths too. These are for buyers to use so they can get their feet wet so to say. My Roland RS-70 is an excellent example. It's a synth, but the basics can be easily learned from this unit so that the buyer can then later move up to a more pro level synth down the road.

Sure they're making DVD help videos and so on, but they can only go so far with these. The person buying the unit needs to educate themselves. Too often I see novice players buying a pro synth because "it's what they see everyone using". Then they return or sell the thing saying it's crap because they can't use it.

I think this is what separates the arranger and synth player IMO. Synth players are more often the "tweeker" than the typical arranger player. Again it's not a bad thing either, just difference in how we use our instruments.

I can't tell you the number of times I've talked a person who has minimal experience with synths buying something like a Korg Triton or Motif as their first "real keyboard". I've had friends do this and I got so frustrated with all the emails asking for help regarding functions they should have already known and somewhat mastered before even buying the synth.

So the manufacturers can only do so much in terms of help outside the manaul. The buyer has to understand that when buying a pro synth the manual is going to be written for the seasoned player. It's not going to be written for the novice. There will be terminology used that will confuse the hell out of the novice.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 04-15-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.