My understanding of the hexidecimal system as it applies to midi is minimal at best. I'm quite sure you are right Joe, but in the end, it still doesn't work right for whatever reason on the Motif, and no matter what I do I can't get the drum sound right.

It isn't that big of a deal for tyhis user anyway, because I'm not particularly interested in using the GM sounds of the Motif. Some of them are very good (GM Ac and el pianos are excellent ), many others are not. ( GM guitars / reeds / organs are among the worst ). If I'm not able to make an instrument file that will correspond to the preset Motif voices, I'm better off going my original route and just altering the styles themselves. In this manner, I never have to adjust anything again once I've altered the style.. just load it up and play, whether it be OMB or a Yamaha arranger controlling the Motif. This is the only solution I can see that will work in real time ( quickly ) anyway in order to avoid the GM patches.

I use several user voices too. In the end I don't need to converted a lot of Yamaha styles. I use a small amount in real time, and I rarely use them for finished compositions, preferring to make my own backing tracks. I do use them sometimes just to start an idea though, then go back and replace the parts later on. This is where OMB can be most useful to me. I can quickly set down different progressions and build from there.

AJ

AJ