I don't really see why there should be any objection to us discussing / working on this here. The topic itself is on fire ( looking at the number of posts ). I think that it is defintely related to the arranger itself and I do not feel it in any way compromises the purpose of this forum. Also, we don't all agree on everything, but the thread has remained polite and we seem to have been able to agree to disagree and the discussion has progressed in a good and useful direction.

I like to be able to keep all of my options open. As I explained before, I think that no matter what comes in the near future, I will find that I will probably still want to use my arranger(s) for some things ( live work ..keeping it simple works best for this player ). On the other hand, I use other boards, synths, software, etc for studio / composition and at least for me, some of the software I have works hand in hand with my boards, rather than acting as an absolute and final replacement.

Maybe some live players would be comfortable going the software route. I can't speak for everyone else. I just know what works for me. Programs like Jammer, BIAB, Jazz seq, and now OMB, along with some others, plus the soft synths, are excellent tools for me, and I think if a tool works, you use it, period.

Frank, your knowledge of soft synths is a plus and I'm sure that I'll have questions for you as time goes by. I'm very satisfied with the horn / reed sounds that I have now via the VL board, ditto the synth sounds of the AN150. I am always looking for better guitar sounds, but I think without good physical modeling tools, I've reached a plateau. I've worked hard to build guitar patches on the Motif that sound realistic, ( my own "megavoices" if you will and I like them a lot ) but I am still interested in trying more via physical modeling tools and soft synths. I can live with the Motif acoustic pianos, ( not a huge staple sound for me anyway ) and the electrics are "grand" ( no pun intended ). I like the Rhodes and wurli sounds a lot. I need better organs. The Motif's are weak. The PA80's are good, but I want better. Strings are another thing. I don't really like any synth violin patches that I've ever heard / played. Based on all of the dynamics involved in making a violin sound, this seems to be another sound that needs modeling to enhance it. More to follow....

Keep up the excellent work guys.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-04-2003).]