Joe,

The Motif does have a GM bank, and it is bank 0, but the actual patch numbers themselves are setup from 1-128 as opposed to the standard 0-127. That's why it doesn't recognize the drums on channel 10. If you send a "0", no matter which bank or channel you use, the Motif always reverts to the GM acoustic piano. Also this is a problem lets say if I am supposed to get a gm acoustic bass sound coming from the style. The standard GM uses patch #32. Since the Motif is "off" by one, I get guitar harmonics with patch #32 ( normally patch 31 on standard GM ).

You're right about the freeze function in a lot of respects. Some yamaha styles do change patches from variation to variation, but with the problems of matching patches, once I set up the patches in my module to correspond to the style, I usually ignore this and just keep the patch the same anyway.
Even though it doesn't allow for an "authentic' replication of the style, it usually sounds good in spite of it. The other cool thing about the MZ2k freeze is that I could take the instrument setup from a jazz fusion style for example and quickly apply it to a funk style.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-11-2003).]