Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
I think the software arranger approach is the way of the future. However,the majority of people here think otherwise.

Frank,
I think the main reason that hardware wins this battle is because of "overall ease." There is no way a performer that sets up and tears down for each show will opt for a bulky, sensitive, clumsy approach, just to get a slight advantage in sonic quality. Now, granted the "slight" comment is an opinion, and I'm sure many will differ, but as a performer who relies on many setups - there will never be a justification (for me) to bring a completely PC driven rig to work. It's simply not the best way to access the features we need the most.

Fill-in's need to be at our fingertips, sounds need to be accessed at a split second's notice, and rhythms need instant access with plenty of variety. All this needs to be portable, roadworthy and aesthetically pleasing to the eye for stage appearances.

I still hate the look of music stands on stage with a solo performer ...... I'd really hate having a large PC monitor between me and my audience.

I have no doubt that your soft synth sounds are top notch, but in a performer's world of road use and modifications ...... I'll take the hardware route anyday.Home use may be a completely different story, but I applaud your efforts in "pioneering" this new technology ! Maybe someday ..... we'll all be playin' the soft way !