SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#45075 - 02/02/04 06:50 AM How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I have just received an email from Chris Whitehead, at Technics UK. with reference to KN7000 Operating System Updates : QUOTE.

"As you are probably aware, we monitor places like Synthzone and I have recently noticed complaints about lack of a UK Update for the KN7000 operating system.

In the UK we have always asked UK customers to contact there Technics Dealer,(preferably the one from whom they purchased the Keyboard) to ask for the latest software update. This is mainly because the disks are made at Technics UK and are fully tested and certified.
I understand that Synthzone members may be very computer literate and are
competent at doing this, however we have many more customers who either do not own a computer or are not competent enough to do this.
We have had many complaints from customers who have downloaded updates from various websites in the past and wiped or corrupted the operating system, during the updating process and have not been able to restore it, with out our assistance.

Can I also offer my Email Address, which I believe has been posted here before. If any one in the UK has any issues with Technics Keyboards or the service we provide please contact me at chris.whitehead@panasonic.co.uk"

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#45076 - 02/03/04 02:02 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Finally we now know the real reason(s) and Taiyo and others are not so called uncertainfied dealers.
rgds.
Willem

#45077 - 02/03/04 03:28 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Mike ORegan Offline

Isn't the REAL reason behind this statement that Panasonic UK has had its extremely slow hand forced by this Forum and others into finally admitting that updates really exist.
Mike O'R
Version 1.6

#45078 - 02/03/04 09:07 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

no, the reason is as explained that people were corrupting their o/s by using bad disks and downloads, as happened to someone's 7000 on the Yahoo forum just recently.
Taiyo have a history of putting up buggy o/s for download before they are ready for official release, and then having to replace them, as well as putting up o/s not meant for public release.

#45079 - 02/03/04 12:34 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike ORegan:
Isn't the REAL reason behind this statement that Panasonic UK has had its extremely slow hand forced by this Forum and others into finally admitting that updates really exist.
Mike O'R
Version 1.6

At least Bill Norrie and Myself took the trouble to find out just what the score was.
Don't forget you are not out of the woods yet and remember that being in the UK your kn7000 with the Taiyo upgrades is not supported so just hope all stays well because everyone including Chris Whitehead knows where you got your upgrades from

#45080 - 02/03/04 01:51 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Mike ORegan Offline

Ooh, Johnnie C, you've got me really scared!! LOL
Mike O'R

#45081 - 02/03/04 02:12 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
Ooh, Johnnie C, you've got me really scared!! LOL
Mike O'R

I have no intention or interest in scaring you, you do a good enough job of that yourself.You just keep sticking your finger in the air and continue shouting help

#45082 - 02/04/04 06:14 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
as well as putting up o/s not meant for public release.[/B]

This one I don't understand an update not for
public release???
What kind of updates are these.

regds.
Willem

#45083 - 02/04/04 06:59 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Just spoken to my dealer - one of the largest Technics agents in North England (well was), who tells me they have never received any updates for the 7000, from Technics. Then went on to say (and this is someone who has been in the busines for yonks) "What is an operating update. Never heard of them........"

Funny old world, ain't it.

Peter

#45084 - 02/04/04 02:11 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by waterschip:
This one I don't understand an update not for
public release???
What kind of updates are these.
regds.
Willem

Taiyo posted a couple of 6000 updates too early in the past which had to be quickly withdrawn and replaced. Japan also made an update for a single professional to suit his particular specific external equipment which was not meant as a general release which Taiyo posted in the past.

#45085 - 02/07/04 01:12 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Brucey Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
you are lucky to get an email from Chris Whitehead - i have been waiting six weeks for
a response

Bruce

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
I have just received an email from Chris Whitehead, at Technics UK. with reference to KN7000 Operating System Updates : QUOTE.

"As you are probably aware, we monitor places like Synthzone and I have recently noticed complaints about lack of a UK Update for the KN7000 operating system.

In the UK we have always asked UK customers to contact there Technics Dealer,(preferably the one from whom they purchased the Keyboard) to ask for the latest software update. This is mainly because the disks are made at Technics UK and are fully tested and certified.
competent at doing this, however we have many more customers who either do not own a computer or are not competent enough to do this.
We have had many complaints from customers who have downloaded updates from various websites in the past and wiped or corrupted the operating system, during the updating process and have not been able to restore it, with out our assistance.

Can I also offer my Email Address, which I believe has been posted here before. If any one in the UK has any issues with Technics Keyboards or the service we provide please contact me at chris.whitehead@panasonic.co.uk"

#45086 - 02/07/04 06:51 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
ogre Offline

Think I must be singularly blessed - sent email to Chris Whitehead and received reply within one hour!

Mine to him said " I expect you will know that Bill Norrie posted your email to him on the synthzone site, as a result of which I contacted my dealer as well as a couple of others and they all told me that they had never received updates from Technics. My dealer then contacted you (or your office) and told me that he had no joy.
When I had my 6000 I obtained updates directly from Technics (they had the Technics logo printed on them). the one snag with these was that we were never told what fault/bugs were corrected and the only noticeable improvement was in chord recognition.
"Would it not be possible to make 7000 updates available on the 7000 site and also post the floppies to those that ask for them?"

Reply was "Please let me know which dealer you contacted. As you are aware there are many departments in Panasonic and I believe this is the major problem that some dealers or the sales people don't know who to contact to get these updates.

If you are aware of any other customers with this problem please let me know who the dealers are so we can resolve this problem."

So........ this finally confirms that official updates from Technics were available, and that they should have been sent to all dealers (obviously not)and presumably the dealers should have advised their customers.

My fellow customers - suggest we all bombard our dealers and try to get things moving this way.

I forgot to mention to Chris that updates were also available from the old Technote site, and I can't understand why Technics don't do this also.

For myself I intend to wait a couple of days to let things filter through and then get onto my dealer again. Will keep you posted.

Don't we have fun?

Peter

#45087 - 02/07/04 08:04 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Bill Norrie Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Brucey:
you are lucky to get an email from Chris Whitehead - i have been waiting six weeks for
a response

Bruce

Hi Bruce, I just wonder if Chris's email is configured to only receive emails from UK ?
I've emailed him your email address and asked him to contact you.....

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#45088 - 02/07/04 03:11 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have been reading postings on the updates and my question is - are the updates critical?

Dare I say it, my KN7 is the best keyboard I've had so far and works well with the SD card giving great pleasure to a number of people without problems so I would not want to "upset the apple cart" by loading an unnecessary update.

Aud

#45089 - 02/07/04 04:07 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Audrey, As has been said many times here : If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#45090 - 02/08/04 03:36 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Mike ORegan Offline

All this should come as no surprise to long-term Technics customers. Technics (UK?) have a long history of this sort of cavalier attitude to both dealers and customers. Back in the days of the 3000, they constantly maintained that there were no upgrades which actually existed in the form of replacement EPROMs. Dealers were advised to dissuade customers from enquiring about upgrades.
Hers is a little tale which you may find interesting. A few years ago I ran a User Club for Yamaha keyboards. Although the Club was truly independent, Yamaha recognised it as a valuable addition to customer service. On one occasion they invited my and some members to spend a day with them in Milton Keynes. We were asked about our keyboards and our hosts took careful note of all our suggestions for improvements, some of which appeared in later models. At the end of the day, I was provided with a large box containing 30 tee-shirts, 30 digital watches, and 30 hand-made Japanese fans. All of this with no strings attached.
Compare this with another little story. A pupil of mine was the proud owner of a Technics keyboard with which she entertained many old-folks homes, etc. Her father contacted Technics to ask if they would consider supplying her with a tee-shirt or baseball-cap to wear for her concerts. He was more-or-less told to sod off!!
Could it be that Technics attitude to dealers and customers contributed in some small measure to their demise?
Mike O'R

#45091 - 02/08/04 11:43 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

I remember upgrading eproms on both 2000 and 3000 and had no problems obtaining them at all, and never found anyone claiming they did not exist. Just my experience.

#45092 - 02/09/04 02:39 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Brucey Offline

updates available here http://www.panasonic.com.au/support/downloads/results.cfm

not everyone can get to a technics dealer chris - especially in Australia - these updates should be available from panasonics or the technote websites - that is so easy and simple for all - you know the KISS principle.

Bruce
Quote:

#45093 - 02/12/04 10:18 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
ogre Offline

Sorry for the delay in coming back (see my post above of 7th).

My dealer tells me that Chris Whitehead failed to phone him so, the dealer phoned Chris. He wasn't available but the dealer was told that Technics/Panasonic did not have any updates and in any case these were no longer available.
No comment.

Peter

#45094 - 02/12/04 10:42 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by ogre:
.....Technics/Panasonic did not have any updates and in any case these were no longer available.

??????
Do that mean no more in stock?
And I who thought the updates was electronic
software just to copy as many as needed.......
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#45095 - 02/13/04 04:12 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Bill Norrie Offline

I have received another email from Chris Whitehead, clarifying the UK Update procedure.
Quote "The Dealers need to contact MIKE
BEAVEN at Panasonic Service, they should be aware of this but some are obviously not, as they are claiming they are no longer available.
Mike Beaven will only accept calls from Dealers for requests for Updates."

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#45096 - 02/14/04 10:34 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Johnnie.c Offline

Does anybody know how many floppies came with the Taiyo 1.6 upgrades ????

#45097 - 02/14/04 11:36 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

two, but you are supposed to install 1.4 table first if not already installed, which is another two.

#45098 - 02/14/04 11:40 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Well, Version 1.6 exists, that's for sure. My new KN7000 lists the operating version as 1.6, but that's no help for those without the update disks.You're welcome to come here and use my keyboard.

#45099 - 02/14/04 12:32 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Mike ORegan Offline

What's all the fuss?!?
If anyone emails me, I will send them the files, plus full instructions in English. So far I have sent out dozens, without anyone reporting difficulties
Mike O'R

#45100 - 02/14/04 04:27 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
What's all the fuss?!?
If anyone emails me, I will send them the files, plus full instructions in English. So far I have sent out dozens, without anyone reporting difficulties
Mike O'R

Thats weird because I now have the official 1.6 upgrade from Panasonic /Technics UK and there are 4 disks 2 for 1.6 Programme + another 2 for 1.6 Table so it is wise to be cautious before even installing this and I refer to Alecs earlier post

why would anybody want to waste their time with the Taiyo software particularly if the install instructions are not correct

#45101 - 12/05/04 10:06 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Brucey Offline

No point in contacting Chris Whitehead - he has never answered me.

In Australia they post the updates on the Tehcnics website for downloading.

I have always done my own updates

Bruce

Quote:

#45102 - 12/05/04 10:08 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Brucey Offline

Well he never bothered to reply to this day

Bruce

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucey:
[b]you are lucky to get an email from Chris Whitehead - i have been waiting six weeks for
a response

Bruce

Hi Bruce, I just wonder if Chris's email is configured to only receive emails from UK ?
I've emailed him your email address and asked him to contact you.....

[/B]

#45103 - 12/05/04 10:10 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Brucey Offline

Please send all versions of updates to me please.

Bruce

Quote:
What's all the fuss?!?
Mike O'R

#45104 - 12/06/04 01:37 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
I think you will find the Australian link has disappeared. Looks like Technics doesn't exist, in so far as internet support is concerned!
Keith

#45105 - 12/06/04 04:30 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Now, my two cent's worth. Bill Norrie's point, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the most intelligent and safest attitude to adopt. I did not upgrade my KN6000 and it plays beautifully to this day. I have not and will not upgrade my KN7000. It, too, plays beautifully. I have used nearly all of the features of both keyboards from time to time and all work per the manual. My keyboards aren't broke, so I'm not going to fix 'em!

And by the way, no one, including Chris Whitehead, has offered any information detailing the problems discovered by Technics or the fixes offered in upgrades. If anyone wants me to upgrade an already perfect keyboard (my opinion), they will have to prove to me that my keyboard has defects that will render it unserviceable if corrections are not made now.

Actually, that's four cent's worth. So be it.

Chuck, The "No Upgrade" and Happy KN6000/KN7000 Owner/Player

#45106 - 12/06/04 02:58 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
My Two Cents Worth,
Earlier in the year I recieved the official 1.5 update from Panasonic USA.
I then downloaded the 1.5 update from both the Australian site and from Taiyo. I then ran a file comparison check on all three and all three were identical.
Was the Taiyo 1.5 update bad?
Certainly not! Besides they all have built in self checking procedures.
Seems like there is plenty of smoke here!
I can't vouch for the 1.6 though.
Walt

#45107 - 12/06/04 03:49 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Anonymous
Unregistered

I and many in the USA have recieved great support from our rep Eddie Williams. He has supplied the updates and also explained what they were for, in a telephone conversation.

I have the latest installed with no problems.

If you have no problems.........keep playing. If you in the USA develope a problem, look to some of us that have an official USA update and we would be glad to assist. First call Eddie Williams at Panasonic USA.

At one time I belonged to a new computer group in our community and we adopted a slogan.....""Member Helping Member"". I think this fits this forum very well.

Fran in Florida

#45108 - 12/06/04 04:34 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Walt Meyer:
Was the Taiyo 1.5 update bad?
Certainly not!

the Taiyo 1.5 introduced a serious new bug that could crash 7ks with sound cards installed and had to be withdrawn and replaced by 1.6. This was well documented on Taiyo and described here at the time

#45109 - 12/06/04 07:49 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Walt Meyer Offline

Alec, I have to jump back in here.
I don't doubt your word, but this must mean that either 1.5 supplied by Panasonic from Eddie williams was also bad or that Taiyo had corrected the problem before I downloaded it from their site. The binary files were identical, bit by bit.
It wouldn't be the first time that a manufacturer released an operating system with a new bug. It is also my observation that software developers sometimes correct an error and re-release the program without changing the version number. I guess that they just don't want to admit to a mistake and hope that not too many copies of the original were distributed. Maybe that's what happened with the early Taiyo release - a copy of buggie software from Panasonic before Panasonic caught wind of the bug and corrected it.
Just speculation, but maybe you can shed some additional light on it.
Walt

#45110 - 12/07/04 01:20 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Walt,

Like you, I have to jump back in here. There are 34 posts in this thread so far. Not one of the contributors has been able to say what problems were discovered by Technics that prompted the update including you, Alec Pagida, Bill Norrie, Chris Whitehead, or Eddie Williams. Is it a corporate secret? I have the utmost respect for you, Alec, Bill, Chris and Eddie. My question is: If the experts named can't tell me what the upgrade consists of and why I need to install it, then why am I risking installing software that could potentially damage my keyboard? Why does anyone install updates without knowing beforehand what the problem is and why the fix is necessary?

And finally, it is also interesting to me to note that not one of the contributors has experienced any problems with their keyboards prior to upgrading and have not remarked about the remarkable improvements the upgrade made in the features and playability of their keyboards. Upgrade? Not me!

Chuck

#45111 - 12/07/04 02:21 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
maybe you can shed some additional light on it.

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/002036.html

yawn...

#45112 - 12/07/04 03:55 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Piper:
Not one of the contributors has been able to say what problems were discovered by Technics that prompted the update including you, Alec Pagida,

for example: bitmaps for home page, free display on sd card fixed, midi out problem with transposed drums fixed, all audio files on sd now mapped, copy of sd control file added, harmony corrections to selected 9th and add9th technichords, random crashes with EW cards fixed (caused by 1.5).

I was the first to point out that if you can't see any difference in your use of the board there is not much point in risking an update, particularly one not covered by warrantee in your particular area. I know of several cases of 7ks needing return to importer because of Taiyo updates. Not to mention the many complaints about 1.5 in Germany which led to its quick withdrawal.
It's all very old news.

#45113 - 12/07/04 07:30 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
D.Munson Offline

Quote:

What difference does the upgrade OS make to the KN7000?

#45114 - 12/07/04 07:34 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
D.Munson Offline

Quote:

Hi Bll,
What is the OS upgrade and what difference does it make on the KN7000?

Derek Munson

#45115 - 12/07/04 08:30 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Alec,

May I say it is nice to see you posting again. Thank you for itemizing the OS enhancements for us. Much appreciated. As you know, I have always had the highest regard and respect for you and your knowledge/expertise.

I am still left questioning why our UK Technics representative, Chris Whitehead, hasn't been courteous enough to list the OS changes for us, explain the significance and impact of each change, and to inform us where we can obtain authorized upgrade disks. It is very disappointing to me, a loyal Technics keyboard owner/player, to know that the people who should be serving us in the U.K. are invisible and rarely heard from. It would seem, from the reports we have read here on the Synth Zone, that Eddie Williams in the U.S. is a very helpful, interested, active and cooperative person. It seems a shame we don't enjoy the same "customer-oriented" attitude from our UK representatives that our American friends enjoy. If the attitude of our UK Technics reps is that they interface with dealers only and it is up to the dealers to handle customer queries/complaints, then I'm not surprised because that fits the pattern of so many other experiences I have had here. But that isn't how customer service is supposed to work. And according to some who have posted here, even the dealers are in the dark. That doesn't speak well of the service dealers are receiving from our Technics reps either.

I've said enough.

Best wishes, Alec

Chuck

#45116 - 12/07/04 09:23 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

a failed upgrade wiped the operating system entirely requiring return to Bracknell, nothing to do with me but they probably just got fed up with returns entirely due to customer error using updates distributed through email etc and not covered by guarantee since not from an approved source, accompanied by the inevitable complaints. 99.9% of people never needed to upgrade - I don't believe I ever saw anyone post a difference they noticed themselves between before and after, just moan about lack of a list of items they could not even notice - although now that I've listed some items no doubt everyone will have known all along - usually the case here I probably missed out increasing the single customs listed.
All the best to you too Chuck, Merry Christmas

#45117 - 12/07/04 09:58 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dereck,

Alec explained in the above message. Eddie Williams (U.S. Technics Rep) explained this to me by telephone many months ago. A great deal of the fix's would make no difference to most users. Since I received my updates from Eddie, I installed them and can see no difference in the operation of the 7000 with the one exception. Percentage of disk used is now accurate........so.......as many have said "If it is not broke don't fix it."

Fran in Florida

#45118 - 12/07/04 10:24 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Walt Meyer Offline

I've read all of this stuff before -- YAWN --but it's one unofficial word against another.
I would still like to see a history of bug fixes for each version that has been published by Panasonic.
Until then, I consider it all "Smoke, Mirrors, and Conjecture".
Since we are not about to get anything more from Panasonic we might just as well forget about the whole subject.
For the record, I discovered recognizable bugs in 1.4 in my KN7000 (as shipped from the factory) that was corrected by installing 1.5 from Taiyo. No problems since.
Walt

#45119 - 12/07/04 10:51 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Chuck Piper Offline

Thanks Alec and Merry Christmas to you as well.

#45120 - 12/07/04 11:55 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
but it's one unofficial word against another

Not really, because I only deal in provable facts, what other people wish to imagine is up to them, and by the way the bug list came from Panasonic

#45121 - 12/07/04 01:24 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Hi Alex, Bill, Chuck and everyone. Good to be back and flapping my lips. Good, in fact very good to see your name again Alex. You inspire me no end. Ruthie says Hi to all you guys and tells me to get on with that list of things to do. And Walt, be nice.

Grandpa Doug

#45122 - 12/07/04 01:43 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome back Alec. Hope your here to stay.

Fran in Florida

#45123 - 12/07/04 02:23 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Gramps, hope you are still a good lad and doing everything Ruthie says...

Hi Fran, recent events show why it's probably a waste of my time

#45124 - 01/08/05 10:16 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Quote:
For the record, I discovered recognizable bugs in 1.4 in my KN7000 (as shipped from the factory) that was corrected by installing 1.5 from Taiyo. No problems since.
Walt

Hi Walt,

Can you supply a little detail on the bugs in 1.4 on the 7000? What corrections did 1.5 make?

I, and probably many of us still have the original 1.4, and are curious.

Thanks
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online