SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#45105 - 12/06/04 04:30 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Now, my two cent's worth. Bill Norrie's point, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the most intelligent and safest attitude to adopt. I did not upgrade my KN6000 and it plays beautifully to this day. I have not and will not upgrade my KN7000. It, too, plays beautifully. I have used nearly all of the features of both keyboards from time to time and all work per the manual. My keyboards aren't broke, so I'm not going to fix 'em!

And by the way, no one, including Chris Whitehead, has offered any information detailing the problems discovered by Technics or the fixes offered in upgrades. If anyone wants me to upgrade an already perfect keyboard (my opinion), they will have to prove to me that my keyboard has defects that will render it unserviceable if corrections are not made now.

Actually, that's four cent's worth. So be it.

Chuck, The "No Upgrade" and Happy KN6000/KN7000 Owner/Player

#45106 - 12/06/04 02:58 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
My Two Cents Worth,
Earlier in the year I recieved the official 1.5 update from Panasonic USA.
I then downloaded the 1.5 update from both the Australian site and from Taiyo. I then ran a file comparison check on all three and all three were identical.
Was the Taiyo 1.5 update bad?
Certainly not! Besides they all have built in self checking procedures.
Seems like there is plenty of smoke here!
I can't vouch for the 1.6 though.
Walt

#45107 - 12/06/04 03:49 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Anonymous
Unregistered

I and many in the USA have recieved great support from our rep Eddie Williams. He has supplied the updates and also explained what they were for, in a telephone conversation.

I have the latest installed with no problems.

If you have no problems.........keep playing. If you in the USA develope a problem, look to some of us that have an official USA update and we would be glad to assist. First call Eddie Williams at Panasonic USA.

At one time I belonged to a new computer group in our community and we adopted a slogan.....""Member Helping Member"". I think this fits this forum very well.

Fran in Florida

#45108 - 12/06/04 04:34 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Walt Meyer:
Was the Taiyo 1.5 update bad?
Certainly not!

the Taiyo 1.5 introduced a serious new bug that could crash 7ks with sound cards installed and had to be withdrawn and replaced by 1.6. This was well documented on Taiyo and described here at the time

#45109 - 12/06/04 07:49 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Alec, I have to jump back in here.
I don't doubt your word, but this must mean that either 1.5 supplied by Panasonic from Eddie williams was also bad or that Taiyo had corrected the problem before I downloaded it from their site. The binary files were identical, bit by bit.
It wouldn't be the first time that a manufacturer released an operating system with a new bug. It is also my observation that software developers sometimes correct an error and re-release the program without changing the version number. I guess that they just don't want to admit to a mistake and hope that not too many copies of the original were distributed. Maybe that's what happened with the early Taiyo release - a copy of buggie software from Panasonic before Panasonic caught wind of the bug and corrected it.
Just speculation, but maybe you can shed some additional light on it.
Walt

#45110 - 12/07/04 01:20 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Walt,

Like you, I have to jump back in here. There are 34 posts in this thread so far. Not one of the contributors has been able to say what problems were discovered by Technics that prompted the update including you, Alec Pagida, Bill Norrie, Chris Whitehead, or Eddie Williams. Is it a corporate secret? I have the utmost respect for you, Alec, Bill, Chris and Eddie. My question is: If the experts named can't tell me what the upgrade consists of and why I need to install it, then why am I risking installing software that could potentially damage my keyboard? Why does anyone install updates without knowing beforehand what the problem is and why the fix is necessary?

And finally, it is also interesting to me to note that not one of the contributors has experienced any problems with their keyboards prior to upgrading and have not remarked about the remarkable improvements the upgrade made in the features and playability of their keyboards. Upgrade? Not me!

Chuck

#45111 - 12/07/04 02:21 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Walt Meyer:
maybe you can shed some additional light on it.

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/002036.html

yawn...

#45112 - 12/07/04 03:55 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Piper:
Not one of the contributors has been able to say what problems were discovered by Technics that prompted the update including you, Alec Pagida,

for example: bitmaps for home page, free display on sd card fixed, midi out problem with transposed drums fixed, all audio files on sd now mapped, copy of sd control file added, harmony corrections to selected 9th and add9th technichords, random crashes with EW cards fixed (caused by 1.5).

I was the first to point out that if you can't see any difference in your use of the board there is not much point in risking an update, particularly one not covered by warrantee in your particular area. I know of several cases of 7ks needing return to importer because of Taiyo updates. Not to mention the many complaints about 1.5 in Germany which led to its quick withdrawal.
It's all very old news.

#45113 - 12/07/04 07:30 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
I have just received an email from Chris Whitehead, at Technics UK. with reference to KN7000 Operating System Updates : QUOTE.

"As you are probably aware, we monitor places like Synthzone and I have recently noticed complaints about lack of a UK Update for the KN7000 operating system.

In the UK we have always asked UK customers to contact there Technics Dealer,(preferably the one from whom they purchased the Keyboard) to ask for the latest software update. This is mainly because the disks are made at Technics UK and are fully tested and certified.
I understand that Synthzone members may be very computer literate and are
competent at doing this, however we have many more customers who either do not own a computer or are not competent enough to do this.
We have had many complaints from customers who have downloaded updates from various websites in the past and wiped or corrupted the operating system, during the updating process and have not been able to restore it, with out our assistance.

Can I also offer my Email Address, which I believe has been posted here before. If any one in the UK has any issues with Technics Keyboards or the service we provide please contact me at chris.whitehead@panasonic.co.uk"

What difference does the upgrade OS make to the KN7000?

#45114 - 12/07/04 07:34 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
I have just received an email from Chris Whitehead, at Technics UK. with reference to KN7000 Operating System Updates : QUOTE.

"As you are probably aware, we monitor places like Synthzone and I have recently noticed complaints about lack of a UK Update for the KN7000 operating system.

In the UK we have always asked UK customers to contact there Technics Dealer,(preferably the one from whom they purchased the Keyboard) to ask for the latest software update. This is mainly because the disks are made at Technics UK and are fully tested and certified.
I understand that Synthzone members may be very computer literate and are
competent at doing this, however we have many more customers who either do not own a computer or are not competent enough to do this.
We have had many complaints from customers who have downloaded updates from various websites in the past and wiped or corrupted the operating system, during the updating process and have not been able to restore it, with out our assistance.

Can I also offer my Email Address, which I believe has been posted here before. If any one in the UK has any issues with Technics Keyboards or the service we provide please contact me at chris.whitehead@panasonic.co.uk"

Hi Bll,
What is the OS upgrade and what difference does it make on the KN7000?

Derek Munson

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online