Funny thing about sax's. Most players I know prefer Tenor too, and that's the only one I ever use in a band, but growing up as a woodwind doubler - I never could get my brain around the Tenor! I wanted to, but the sound was never there. I was the lead Alto in many jazz ensembles through HS & College, but the Tenor & I just never clicked. Coming from a background of guitar & bass, it was only natural that the lower winds enticed me, so I really concentrated on Bari, Bass Clarinet, and even Contralto Clarinet!

My teachers were all Philly Union honchos, and it was an easy career choice for me (early on) to follow their direction. Unfortunately ........ when I finished school, the clarinet world was not as "fertile" with opportunity as the top 40 world, so I struck out on the bass in a 5 pc band playing disco top 40 tunes all around the Tri-State area. The Hustle was one of the first big disco dances, so it was very natural for me to play the flute solo live on that one, and the keyboard man did the bass with his left hand (hmmmm, I thought ?) That was the FIRST hint I received that I might end up as a solo artist one day ....... that, and the fact that I was always butting heads with female singers.

Ahhhh, female singers - now THERE'S a topic for another day.

( In all fairness, This is NOT a sexual dig ..... it's just a painfully consistent pattern of behavior that I've noticed through the years. In fact, one of the most commonly misunderstood acronyms came about from this rare breed of woman, and is often confused with an anatomical area ... but I assure you, most "chick singers" just
Can't
Understand
Normal
Thinking !!! ) It's NOT a sexist thing at all !

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
(Ladies .... you know this was all a big setup for a reeeeealy bad joke, right ? )