Uncle Dave,

Up here in "Gods Country", there are quite a few stations that can be heard but only one with choices like you mention.... one of WRTI's remote links. I can get it clearly at times up here as it has a remote transmitter just over the border in Pensylvania. WRTI is by far the best station for hearing anything out of the noramal playlists that I can get, but at times the signal isn't all that good. A lot of typical " sounds the same no matter where you go" type stations also come in from Scranton. There just aren't enough "WRTI's" to go around though.

My daughter is a typical 17 year old. She likes the modern music and culture that she is exposed to, as most kids do. A lot of her activity time is devoted to learning and playing piano and flute. No " does it all for you Music Machines " for her. That's by her choice though, not because of any pressure from me. All I ever told her was how I learned to play. Then I left it up to her. She is busier than ever which means less time for us. Still, one of the things that gives me the most joy is that she wants to be around me and she likes to listen to my music. Better still, she truly enjoys the arts museums and other cultural events that we have attended. If I don't make enough of that available, she'll be quick to let me hear about it. I couldn't be more grateful or feel more lucky or blessed. I know that it's part luck but also in large part our commitment to try to bring these things into her life while at the same time trying not to make them boring for her.

Danb .. Try as I may, I haven't really been able to play more than one instrument at a really good level in 35 + years of trying. I play some guitar and have dabbled with some wind instruments, but I certainly wouldn't try to bring those skills ( or lack thereof ) to a live stage, although I can and will do a bit on the harmonica. Not that I've totally mastered keyboards either. God help me the day I think I have.. The lucky thing for me is that my primary instrument ( keyboards ) allows me to emulate pretty nicely some of the instruments that I only wish I could play well. That's one of the things about today's world that I'd never want to trade away. I wanted to be a guitarist first and foremost but I chose keyboards primarily because an organ was what we had in the house to play when I was growing up. In that way, it's kind of dumb luck that I ended up playing keys whent a lot of midi and modern music machinery happens to be centered around keys. Back then, I never dreamed of some of the stuff that is possible today. Ok so I can't play a blazing guitar solo ala an Alvin Lee or a Zappa on a real guitar, but it's still a lot of fun for me when I can emulate it pretty closely on my keys.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-11-2002).]