PROGRAMMING MY SX900

I played guitar professionally for about 50 years. I gathered an ocean of knowledge in chords, chord progressions, and chord substitution. I used that knowledge when I moved to an arranger keyboard.

My left hand is very important, it tells the keyboard where to go – and more. When singing, or playing an instrumental, a song the time you play it as written. The second time you improvise. You play what you are feeling; without losing the melody of the song. Here is where chord knowledge takes over. (left hand)
G7 to C major is played – Dm7 G7 Db7 C major6. Your right hand follows what the left hand created.

What you are playing belongs to you, you do not fall into all sounding the same.
There is a short study available on the subject.

EX. Left hand is playing C7. Your fight hand knows the notes you are playing, so when it plays these notes they agree.
You also know the possible substitutions that are possible for C7. C7-9, C7+5. They are only the beginning.

This method is not used with all types of music.
EX. Rock Around the Clock.

There are Jazz players who used scales – when they are playing, you have no idea what song it is. I was playing a job with a sax player. The first tune was in the key of F major. The second song was also in the same key --- (he improvised with scales) In the middle of the song he asked me what song were we playing.

This is the first step in sounding like a band and not a keyboard; there is more.
John C.