Don, no one disrespects you or any other QUALITY performer, no matter what their choice of instruments. In fact, I even said that I thought the OMB format was one of the VERY appropriate cases for using an arranger keyboard. But the bottom line is that it's nobody's business but the performers what instrument he or she chooses to accompany themselves with; after all, it's their livelihood and they should choose whatever gives them a leg up in the marketplace (as well as personal satisfaction). I had no intention of making anyone feel defensive about using an arranger; I was only trying to explain my own CURRENT decision-making process in choosing more 'traditional' instruments over the ever-changing model that defines practically everything driven by technology.

On a personal level, I prefer to listen to a GOOD solo piano or guitar with vocals than arranger and vocals, but that's just my personal preference. With a piano or guitar, what you see is what you get, and you know that a certain level of skill is involved. There COULD be a reason that some of your very talented friends never gravitated towards an arranger and would rather take $50.00 from you and be able to play their chosen instrument (even though it may have failed them financially).

Truth is, I don't think our 'point(S) of view' are that different. One place we DO disagree though is, I don't think most jazz players play jazz because they're wealthy, but because they love the music (and the challenge of playing it).

Glad to see your health improving (to the point of playing golf) in such a relatively short period of time. I know you went through a rough patch but maybe it was worth it if it leads to a healthier lifestyle that keeps you 'in the game' a little bit longer. Take care.

chas