First impression of my Roland BK9

Posted by: Fran Carango

First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/10/18 01:14 PM

My first impression of my Roland BK9..

This is my opinion and I am going to compare it to other brands that I have played...
If my opinions bothers you... skip my post. grin

I purchased a Roland Juno Stage when they came out several years ago..because I liked the semi weighted keybed..

The BK9 is the identical keybed, and one of the strongest features to want a BK9..

The drawbar organ and Leslie simulation .. are tops in any arranger keyboard and most wanna be Hammond organ clones..

The BK9 edges out the G70 drawbar organ with added controls and superior Leslie source..
The G70 was easily the best of the bunch prior to the BK9.

The BK9 is feature packed with benefits not found on the G70 and collectively on any other keyboard..

Roland retained the 16 track sequencer (missing on the EA7)..
added the Chord sequencer (missing on the G70 and EA7).

The operating system is not bad on the BK9, although I think in some areas the EA7 has the edge..
The G70 still easily rules with the touch screen.

The sounds on the BK9 exceed the EA7, thanks to the Super Natural content...
but in my opinion there is a quality I hear in the G70,
that sounds better.. The EA7 and BK9 are among the best sound offerings today..
Korg don't match up, and you need to move up to Genos (Yamaha)
to compete... and the G70 is another step above..

With the Media player, and USB facilities, also the audio keys... it is hard not to like the BK9.

The mic and effects are great (phantom power)..

Pedal options are good, other common feature with the G70, D Beam,
assign pedals, performances (user programs) are there..

Six fills (3 up and 3 down) Missing from EA7.

G70 is still the best keybed, but the BK9 is a close second and very playable .. Better than Korg even the PA4x..

Even with the abundance of features on the BK9 there are more on the G70 that are missing on the BK9,
Like aftertouch, separate outs, singer key , guitar mode, covers and harmonizer..

I like the light weight of the BK9 (20 pounds).. and is a quality instrument..

If I could only have one instrument it will be the G70..

I am sure the BK9 will grow on me as I get familiar with it... as the EA7 did (Pads and sampling worked well).

There were a few quirks with the EA7, that don't seem to be on the BK9.

After my time on the Korg PA4x , PA900 and PA1000... I made the right choice with the BK9.

It is all about the sound and the BK9 delivers..in a light package..

The bummer...… Roland has something coming that most likely will make the BK9 available for sale..

I will continue my review after I spend more time with it..
Posted by: Dnj

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/10/18 02:00 PM

Fran... I'm so happy for you finally that you got a bk9 good luck with it I know you will really dig in and find all its attributes and what it could really do when you get the time keep us posted I'm really excited for you enjoy... Breakfast when I'm better!
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/10/18 02:23 PM

Hi Fran,
I know what you mean by missing aftertouch. wink
I played my S-970 for some gigs to lighten the load from my T4.
Aftertouch was a big thing for me missing.
I don't see a lot of players mentioning it .... ???
Now that I have a Genos, I am happy as can be.
Light weight compared to my old T4 and aftertouch :):):)
So much more expressive when you play ...

One of the major things I like about the Genos are the amps and real distortion for guitars. As a guitar player this is a must for me.
The PA4X is a very close one.

How does the BK9 stack up against the 2?
Enjoy and have fun playing.
Eric
Posted by: TedS

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/10/18 10:15 PM

"There were a few quirks with the EA7, that don't seem to be on the BK9."

Thansk for your review. I never tried a G-70 but messed around a lot with the BK-9. This comment intrigues me the most because I'm actually more interested in the E-A7. Would you be kind and give some examples?

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/11/18 04:35 AM

Ted here are a few quirks... when using the mic input, sound would only come out of the left speaker till you switched back and forth the gain switch on the back.. then it was fine.

When searching and selecting a file for playback on USB stick.. after selecting the current song it would return to the first page of content, instead of remaining on the selection location.

When recording a wave, sometimes on playback of new recording it would not play the first measure or so.

By no means are these deal breakers...the EA7 is a great keyboard and the best value on the market..
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/11/18 05:23 AM

Fran
So glad your enjoying the BK9. I've been very happy with mine from the sound to the weight. Every time I get the urge to do and organ jam I'm amazed how good you can make it sound with some editing.
I've also been getting into the OTS for preformances and am finding it very quick and easy to set up 4 different setups for a Style. Gary got me doing that with the song he posted Baker Street. Guitar for the opening chords, Sax for the keynote riff, and piano for the VRS. Since I tend to use some Styles for numerous songs its nice to have variations to work with.
And again I'll ask if anyone can teach me how to get my Unrealbook songs on my Ipad to change preformances on the BK9 I will pay for the tutoring time.
BTW Tony Monaco is forming a new 5 week Blues class online. Two levels, beginner and intermediate/expert. If your into jazz organ this is the man to learn from.
Posted by: Nick G

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/11/18 07:50 PM

Hey Fran,

Just Curious what is the average street price of the BK9 over in the states?

I have only seen one for sale here on Ebay AU in the last 2 years. I would love to get my hands on one but may have to look into shipping out of the US... which is always costly..

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/11/18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By Nick G
Hey Fran,

I have only seen one for sale here on Ebay AU in the last 2 years. I would love to get my hands on one but may have to look into shipping out of the US... which is always costly..

Nick they are hard to find... it looks like the sales history shows about $1,500 average..
Posted by: Nick G

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/11/18 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By Nick G
Hey Fran,

Nick they are hard to find... it looks like the sales history shows about $1,500 average..

My Guess is no one wants to sell them because they are too good!
Posted by: DonM

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/11/18 09:26 PM

They didn't make that many of them. Die-hard Roland fans like them a lot.
Too many missing operational features for me. I liked the weight and the organ sounds. Guitars still dated, no vocal harmony, no break/fill, hated the screens. It depends on what you want and need in an arranger.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By DonM
They didn't make that many of them. Die-hard Roland fans like them a lot.
Too many missing operational features for me. I liked the weight and the organ sounds. Guitars still dated, no vocal harmony, no break/fill, hated the screens. It depends on what you want and need in an arranger.

Don we can be critical about what it will not do for us... but we should make aware what it does that other brands do not.. Like 6 fills, dynamic arranger, best piano mode, D Beam control etc..

If it had a touch screen... just about everyone would love it..

I don't mind the two small screens.. they work well together and I can still see smile

Would I prefer a touch screen.... absolutely..

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 06:22 AM

As I said, it depends on what you need and want in an arranger. I gave it a good trial for a month, and it wasn't the best fit for me.
Posted by: 124

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 06:54 AM

No break/fill? On a modern arranger? Dead in the water right there.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 07:49 AM

As I said, it depends on what you need and want in an arranger. I gave it a good trial for a month, and it wasn't the best fit for me.

Don I agree with your assessment..

As a backup for me and the needs it fulfills (light package with all the essentials , Mic, media player , compatible sound to my G70). it is the best unit that I could use..

As I said before in another post... if I could only have one.. it would be the G70 (includes anything I ever played to date)..

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 08:00 AM

One of the reasons I wanted the BK9 (over the other BK and EA series...) is the 16 track sequencer.

Check out the video to the end..

Posted by: sparky589

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 08:30 AM

Any idea why Roland resists touchscreen technology nowadays? Was the dual screen intended as a less expensive option, or new innovation that might catch on?

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By sparky589
Any idea why Roland resists touchscreen technology nowadays? Was the dual screen intended as a less expensive option, or new innovation that might catch on?

Sparky I can see the advantage of dual screens... the EA7 worked great and I can see advantages with the BK9 already..

Basically having different content on a screen while using the other for example..
Lyrics on one screen and editing on the other..

Problem Roland is using too small of a screen...make that two..

Why not use dual touch screens? or an extra large touch screen with a split screen..

Pop ups always annoy me with … … especially the Korg arrangers ( to be fair the Yamaha and Ketron do too)..

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 11:35 AM

WOW!!!! after spending a couple hours A/B ing the BK9 and the G70 sounds through identical sound routing... Out of the box , the BK9 has the edge overall.. shocked I am comparing original SMF's without edits played side by side.. I have the BK9 routed thru the G70 inputs and outputted to the same sound system, No mixer..

All mastering tools are off.

The BK9 has additional insert effects that can be used.. I did not check detail as to the modification/changes..

Real time played sounds shine with the BK9, thanks to in part the Super Natural selection..

Now what changes the game in my situation, I use the Studio SRX card in the G70.. this gives me the great drums and bass missing from a stock G70.. Add to this the great EP's Guitars, strings etc.. the G70 comes alive and could be conceived as sounding better than the BK9..

I can see where Diki and others declare the BK9 sounds better then the G70.. a stock G70 , I would agree the BK9 does sound better overall.

I am as happy as pig in slop.. grin To have two instruments that I don't believe can be matched by Korg or Yamaha... Maybe Genos? Have to wait till I try a Genos. Ketron RAM sounds would give the Roland's a run for the money, but only have about 40 RAM sounds in the SD7,9.

It looks to me that I am going to be a strong supporter of the BK9. wink

Now I have two discontinued models that I can't part with.. smile

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 01:36 PM

Glad you happy at least,until Roland release,that new board you hinted at. Then we both get major GAS

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 01:39 PM

One of the reasons I wanted the BK9 (over the other BK and EA series...) is the 16 track sequencer.

Check out the video to the end..

WOW !
Posted by: cgiles

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 02:19 PM

Well at least we know that BK9 has a good home.....for the next 15 years smile smile.

chas

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By cgiles
Well at least we know that BK9 has a good home.....for the next 15 years smile smile.

chas

Unless Donny cons me out of it.. grin

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/12/18 05:30 PM

chas

Unless Donny cons me out of it.. grin

Should I bring the Korg to breakfast tomorrow? Just saying.... coffee

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/13/18 12:44 PM

This is pretty cool keys

Eric

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/13/18 01:12 PM

I went to the Smithsonian Museum the other week. When I asked to see their ancient instruments exhibit they gave me directions to Fran's house. I heard one of his keyboards is powered by a key tied to a kite. But enough about the G70.....

chas
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/13/18 02:01 PM

rotf2
Posted by: rphillipchuk

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/13/18 02:28 PM

rotf2 rotf2

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/13/18 04:17 PM

I went to the Smithsonian Museum the other week. When I asked to see their ancient instruments exhibit they gave me directions to Fran's house. I heard one of his keyboards is powered by a key tied to a kite. But enough about the G70.....

chas

rotfl rotfl rotf2

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 07:40 AM

I agree with with everything Fran said above
BK9 is an amazing sounding arranger KB........

keys

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 07:56 AM

[quote=cgiles]I went to the Smithsonian Museum the other week. When I asked to see their ancient instruments exhibit they gave me directions to Fran's house. I heard one of his keyboards is powered by a key tied to a kite. But enough about the G70.....

chas

Chas
I know your kidding but too many of us get hooked into the latest is the greatest syndrome. Would you give up a late 50's B3 ? Or a Les Paul, Strat. Tele, or classic amp from that era ? Didn't think so. Although I never owned one ( almost did but the BK9 came out just in time ) I think the G70 was ahead of its time and like my Bk9 can still do a very good job, especially for the gigging musician.
Are the sounds and a few featurs "THAT" much better on a 5K keyboard. We all know the audience can't tell.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 08:21 AM

I have a sound module that has the fullest orchestral strings I ever heard. It was made in 1993, is the last of 3 models, that had keyboard versions as well, all with touch screens...

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
[quote=cgiles]I went to the Smithsonian Museum the other week. When I asked to see their ancient instruments exhibit they gave me directions to Fran's house. I heard one of his keyboards is powered by a key tied to a kite. But enough about the G70.....

chas

Chas
I know your kidding but too many of us get hooked into the latest is the greatest syndrome.

Bill, yes I AM kidding (and Fran knows it), but you're preaching to the choir. MY latest/greatest arrangers are a Tyros II and a PA1x pro. My latest (and only recent) keyboard is a Crumar SEVEN and that's only because I wanted a dedicated, authentic sounding, 'Rhodes', without the hassle of maintaining a real Rhodes (same reason I own a premium clonewheel instead of a real 'B3').

At this stage of my life and with declining heath and declining interest in the TECHNOLOGY of music creation, I would not invest TOTL-type cash for anything other than (WHAT I CONSIDER) a 'real' instrument impervious to obsolescence via technological advances.

The truth is, despite all of the technological advances in styles, authenticity of sounds, SUPER-features, weight management, reliability, etc., etc., an arranger (played in auto-accomp mode) still sounds like an arranger TO ME. Ignoring individual circumstances, but in the larger music and entertainment world, arrangers are held in low regard and not considered a 'legitimate' instrument by most TRUE PROFESSIONALS, which is why you rarely, if ever, see them in use in professional venues ie. TV, concerts, high-end clubs, or even in the homes of the 'rich and famous'. Sure, someone will pull out some isolated example, but we know in our hearts that that is not the norm. Despite that, I still think arrangers have a place in modern music. Songwriting, OMB's, pre-production mock-ups, home entertainment for the semi-serious amateur, come to mind. But, you're unlikely to see one at Carnegie Hall or featured on a hit album.

So, to Bill's point, I fully agree...and applaud the fact that some like Fran, have an instrument that they like and see no need to upgrade until something comes along that they deem warrants a change (notice, I didn't say 'upgrade', I said 'change'). But to those who truly enjoy the challenge of learning new technology or just like the 'smell of new', I say, more power to you. For those motivated by the hope that newer technology is going to make them a better musician, I say, sorry, that ain't gonna happen.

chas
Posted by: rphillipchuk

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 09:09 AM

Fran

I hope that my double laughing icons did not offend you.... I found that comment quite funny when I read it.

I had a chance to get a G70 from "Cassp" across the river in Detroit... I am still kicking myself for not buying it. It may be old but I still remember playing it years ago ..

Ron

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 10:00 AM

Here is a video that the demonstrator shows fairly,, unlike several of comparison videos that try to show off the Yamaha and Korg offerings.. grin

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 10:12 AM

Chas, I understand that arranger keyboards are plentiful and quite well respected in Europe and other places.
The "pros" who are sitting in my audience wanting my job have no idea what I'm doing. They mostly assume I am doing what they would do in a similar venue, playing along with sequences or karaoke. One guy, who did studio work in Nashville for 25 years, works around town with a vintage Les Paul, AND A CELL PHONE. smile
I have a number of friends, who in their younger days, and some so not younger days, toured with nationally-known stars. They don't disrespect what I do. The sad part is that I can hire any of them for $50. a night. I wouldn't do that but I have done a lot of it for $100. and they are really happy to get it. I'll drop one name, James Burton, who loves to come sit in with me. Of course he doesn't need my money and would be insulted if it were offered.
The wealthy who can afford to be jazz players have my complete respect, but I feel I have theirs as well, if they see me in person. They can tell that I'm playing the keyboard pretty well, despite having to accompany myself in real time with left hand chords.
Just another point of view my good friend! smile

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 12:46 PM

Don, no one disrespects you or any other QUALITY performer, no matter what their choice of instruments. In fact, I even said that I thought the OMB format was one of the VERY appropriate cases for using an arranger keyboard. But the bottom line is that it's nobody's business but the performers what instrument he or she chooses to accompany themselves with; after all, it's their livelihood and they should choose whatever gives them a leg up in the marketplace (as well as personal satisfaction). I had no intention of making anyone feel defensive about using an arranger; I was only trying to explain my own CURRENT decision-making process in choosing more 'traditional' instruments over the ever-changing model that defines practically everything driven by technology.

On a personal level, I prefer to listen to a GOOD solo piano or guitar with vocals than arranger and vocals, but that's just my personal preference. With a piano or guitar, what you see is what you get, and you know that a certain level of skill is involved. There COULD be a reason that some of your very talented friends never gravitated towards an arranger and would rather take $50.00 from you and be able to play their chosen instrument (even though it may have failed them financially).

Truth is, I don't think our 'point(S) of view' are that different. One place we DO disagree though is, I don't think most jazz players play jazz because they're wealthy, but because they love the music (and the challenge of playing it).

Glad to see your health improving (to the point of playing golf) in such a relatively short period of time. I know you went through a rough patch but maybe it was worth it if it leads to a healthier lifestyle that keeps you 'in the game' a little bit longer. Take care.

chas

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 01:12 PM

OT to Chas

I know your a Hammond guy and assumed you had the real deal in your studio. What clone did you choose ? If I were going to have a double keyboard/bass pedal organ again I would definatly go with one of the clones out there. They sound so good and are very versatile.
BTW nice choice on the SEVEN. Everything I've read or heard about it is thumbs up.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 01:37 PM

I have the KeyB Duo MK111 which is the ergonomically almost an exact copy of a B3. It's essentially the same as the Viscount Legend. I couldn't find enough differences to make me want to upgrade so I suspect this will be my last organ. I've been living with the PK7a bass pedals but will probably replace them at some point with the 25 pedal Legend set.

The Seven is great but the 'acoustic' piano isn't good enough to stop me from lusting for something of the quality of your FP90 smile. I have an acoustic grand up in the living room but when I downsize (which I must...soon), I'll be looking for a nice stage piano to complete the 'big three' (B3, Rhodes, AP).

chas

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 02:14 PM

Hey Chas, it was part dig, but now it reads a little harsh. I know the real reason people play and like jazz. Actually I'm one of them, although my jazz playing is elementary, I still like it.
When I was in college I would go to a jazz club on special occasions. It was the Rubiot in Tulsa--so cool. I still have a record that the house band recorded and sold on site. Sonny and Susan Grey were the owners/musicians. She could flat out sing! They had a B3 guy and a trumpet guy, and those were my instruments at the time.
http://www.tulsatvmemories.com/rubiot.html
Went there the night of my first marriage to celebrate!
I also got to the Dave Brubeck Five while in college. Take Five has never been a favorite of mine, but the rest of the show was fantastic. At least there was a long drum solo in Take Five that night!

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 02:41 PM

Boy, we've really taken poor Fran's post SOUTH....BUT, you just had to mention 'Take Five' smile. I can't really say that I dislike it but I CAN say that I was never able to get comfortable with it (or anything else in 5/4). I've tried for years to feel a 5/4 'groove' but so far, no luck. I've (painfully) learned to play it by rote but if I lose my concentration for even a second, DISASTER! I do, however, love Paul Desmond's beautiful sax and give him credit for writing something 'outside the lines'. BTW, that's how I know I suck as a musician because a good musician should be able to handle an odd meter with no problem. 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, no problem; 5/4, YIKES!.

chas

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 03:18 PM

Boy, we've really taken poor Fran's post SOUTH....BUT, you just had to mention 'Take Five' smile. I can't really say that I dislike it but I CAN say that I was never able to get comfortable with it (or anything else in 5/4). I've tried for years to feel a 5/4 'groove' but so far, no luck. I've (painfully) learned to play it by rote but if I lose my concentration for even a second, DISASTER! I do, however, love Paul Desmond's beautiful sax and give him credit for writing something 'outside the lines'. BTW, that's how I know I suck as a musician because a good musician should be able to handle an odd meter with no problem. 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, no problem; 5/4, YIKES!.

chas

It ain't natural. I can't play it.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 03:21 PM

Apologies to Fran,
I just found that the record I have, "An Evening At The Rubiot" is selling for $70. to $200.!

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 03:52 PM

Russ is probably the only one here that can but then he ain't natural either smile smile.

chas
Posted by: bruno123

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 04:58 PM

Easy to understand this statement. Maybe it should have been, “If it ain’t natural to me I won’t play it”.

A classical musician does not normally do well with pop music because he dpes not feel it. I have been playing professionally for over 60 years but I rarely played a country song unless I had to. Did I like country music? Yes I did – but wasn’t natural to me. In short, I had no feel for the music. When I listened to Don’s music I smile, it’s beautiful. He is a natural for what he does.

John
Posted by: Torch

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 10:24 PM

I have a sound module that has the fullest orchestral strings I ever heard. It was made in 1993, is the last of 3 models, that had keyboard versions as well, all with touch screens...
Is it the Roland Discover 5m by any chance?

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By Torch
Is it the Roland Discover 5m by any chance?

I don't think Sparky is talking about a Roland.. Discover5m was 2003, MV30 was 1990, RA800 was 1996..

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 10:52 PM

I would say Korg 01r/w smile

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/14/18 11:46 PM

I would say Korg 01r/w smile
I had a Korg 01/W. I don't think it came with touch screen. How about the Korg M3M (though 2007) if not the Discover 5m?

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/15/18 05:10 AM

My bad... I overlooked the touch screen...Actually the only one mentioned with a touch screen was the DisCover 5m... maybe he was mistaken about the year..

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/15/18 10:21 AM

Wersi..

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/15/18 03:36 PM

Aha, you beat me to it. I had the right answer to your question!

Thanks for the mp3 demo. IMHO, the strings in the demo were of pretty poor quality though at one time I almost bought a Wersi Pegasus Wing to run vArranger. Wersi does make some unique products.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/15/18 04:03 PM

Demo distorted, not well recorded. I've heard it live and sounds better. But Wersi used the touch screen technology well ahead of the big guys.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/15/18 04:44 PM

Class act....Fran, I'm talking about. Yeah, we took his post for a little spin, had a little fun, rambled through a variety of unrelated topics, and guess what? Not a peep, not a grimace, not a single moan, groan, or complaint from Fran. I think he knows that old men sometimes have a hard time concentrating, often forgetting what they were talking about five minutes ago smile. The point is, he knows we were not disrespecting him or his post and chose to just let it slide and not berate us for having a little SZ fun.

Now I'm not advocating that we hijack every post and head for Mexico; in fact, we should probably not do it at all. But if we occasionally lapse into silliness, especially if it's not malicious, let's take a cue from Fran and not make a Federal case about it. Let's face it, your post isn't going to win a Pulitzer. Relax and have a little fun, after all, it only takes one well-worded post to get it back on track. JMO.

chas

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/15/18 05:06 PM

Just going to ask Fran,
How are the orchestral strings on the bk9? Are they supernatural strings from the integra module, or updated? And are they the same in the ea7? They sound really nice on the Ralph Schink demo I watched on YouTube.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/15/18 07:15 PM

Sparky the strings and orchestral patches are excellent on the BK9..

No Super Natural offering but many taken from the SRX library..

There is a selection of 124 string/orchestral tones... Many are the best I have heard on any keyboard..

You can use up to 3 insert effects on a single tone and you can layer 4 tones … so you can imagine the sound you can obtain..

The BK9 sound is superior over the EA7.. I notice more SRX sounds on the BK9.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 08:33 AM

Thanks- title of video said Supernatural strings and thus the question
bk9 strings demo

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 10:14 AM

Sparky Strings are not listed in the Super Natural list within the keyboard.. I guess it is possible that the SN strings could have been sampled and are part of the SRX library..

For an extensive library of SN sounds … the way to go is Integra7..

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 10:43 AM

Thank you Fran. One more question..due to split screens in both ea7 and bk9, I imagine there's no video out jack? If so, assignable to one or the other? Or possible to combine both in one view?

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 12:08 PM

The EA7 has fixed content on each screen and works well once you get the idea how it works ..the EA7 has no video output..

The BK9 has a switchable screen button and allows some modification..

It works well but I think the EA7 dual screens has an edge.. The BK9 does have a video output..

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 12:28 PM

The EA7 has fixed content on each screen and works well once you get the idea how it works ..the EA7 has no video output..

The BK9 has a switchable screen button and allows some modification..

It works well but I think the EA7 dual screens has an edge.. The BK9 does have a video output..

I will add that the Roland DUAL Screen concept at first was a bit weird, BUT, once you understand it and get used to it makes a whole lotta sense especially when performing Live..

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 12:44 PM

Be aware that neither displays text files, only midi lyrics. It was another deal breaker for me.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 01:24 PM

Let's face it no arranger keyboard has everything everybody needs, some of them come close but nothing has it all,... the one good thing among many is that Roland's sounds are unmistakably fantastic, and legendary, Also the personal "workaround toleration" is another big factor,.... if you really have to read lyrics use a laptop or tablet,... you're playing talent makes all the difference no matter which keyboard you use,..

carry on....

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 01:27 PM

Be aware that neither displays text files, only midi lyrics. It was another deal breaker for me.

Thoase screens are too small for lyrics for us old guys and you'd have to be looking up and down constantly while playing. Ipad mounted above the keyboard is the way to go. I think Roland left the touch screen and lyrics function out to keep cost down and they seem to be moving in a direction of incorporating the ipad more with their instruments. Makes a lot of sense.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 01:29 PM

Don when you had the BK9, you could have taken pics of your text files... it would have shown the text via jpeg out of the video output..

I also entered lyrics in my MP3 files and they displayed with no problems on the EA7.

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

Thoase screens are too small for lyrics for us old guys and you'd have to be looking up and down constantly while playing. Ipad mounted above the keyboard is the way to go. I think Roland left the touch screen and lyrics function out to keep cost down and they seem to be moving in a direction of incorporating the ipad more with their instruments. Makes a lot of sense.

The EA7 had an enlarge lyric tab... even you old guys could read it.. grin

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 02:23 PM

I do have lyrics on laptop but seldom use them. On the occasions when I do need them, I don't want the audience to see me looking at the laptop anyway. My PA4X has a nice large display where I can pull up any needed text either manually or by Songbook. Scrolling is assigned to both a button and a foot switch, whichever happens to be most convenient at the time.
I have at least 4,000 text files and a large part of my income is derived from doing requests. Text display is essential for me, but I understand not everyone cares about this, so use whatever is best suited for YOU. smile

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 02:51 PM

I do have lyrics on laptop but seldom use them. On the occasions when I do need them, I don't want the audience to see me looking at the laptop anyway. My PA4X has a nice large display where I can pull up any needed text either manually or by Songbook. Scrolling is assigned to both a button and a foot switch, whichever happens to be most convenient at the time.
I have at least 4,000 text files and a large part of my income is derived from doing requests. Text display is essential for me, but I understand not everyone cares about this, so use whatever is best suited for YOU. smile

I understand...I was suggesting an alternative for the BK9.. I also rather not have any display or monitor that the audience can see.. I also prefer to sing to SMF's... so I have no need for text files.. Also the lyrics added to my MP3's (my old band for example) and real backing vocals.. works well on the EA7 and BK9... again no visible monitor and no dead time..

Nothing wrong with what works for you, and I would take advantage of text files..... if I thought I needed them..

PS. I also like to use SMF's to read chord changes... The Roland boards show them a measure ahead.. Very useful.

One of the reasons you don't find any Korg's in my stable.. smile
Posted by: synerjim

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 03:00 PM

I love my E-A7 and it could be the perfect arranger for me if it has break-fill function and vocal harmonizer.
Posted by: W Tracy Parnell

Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 - 07/16/18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By synerjim
I love my E-A7 and it could be the perfect arranger for me if it has break-fill function and vocal harmonizer.

E-A7 is a great board for sure. I didn't like the small screens or the lack of harmony. When I got my PA900 I also found that I liked the keybed better than the E-A7. Where the E-A7 shines is the operating system IMO. Get everything setup the way you want it, use the sliders to fine tune, and hit "WRITE." Has to be the genius feature of all time. No doubt Korg's Songbook will probably do more overall, but you have to love the Roland ease of use.