Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
[quote=cgiles]I went to the Smithsonian Museum the other week. When I asked to see their ancient instruments exhibit they gave me directions to Fran's house. I heard one of his keyboards is powered by a key tied to a kite. But enough about the G70.....

chas

Chas
I know your kidding but too many of us get hooked into the latest is the greatest syndrome.

Bill, yes I AM kidding (and Fran knows it), but you're preaching to the choir. MY latest/greatest arrangers are a Tyros II and a PA1x pro. My latest (and only recent) keyboard is a Crumar SEVEN and that's only because I wanted a dedicated, authentic sounding, 'Rhodes', without the hassle of maintaining a real Rhodes (same reason I own a premium clonewheel instead of a real 'B3').

At this stage of my life and with declining heath and declining interest in the TECHNOLOGY of music creation, I would not invest TOTL-type cash for anything other than (WHAT I CONSIDER) a 'real' instrument impervious to obsolescence via technological advances.

The truth is, despite all of the technological advances in styles, authenticity of sounds, SUPER-features, weight management, reliability, etc., etc., an arranger (played in auto-accomp mode) still sounds like an arranger TO ME. Ignoring individual circumstances, but in the larger music and entertainment world, arrangers are held in low regard and not considered a 'legitimate' instrument by most TRUE PROFESSIONALS, which is why you rarely, if ever, see them in use in professional venues ie. TV, concerts, high-end clubs, or even in the homes of the 'rich and famous'. Sure, someone will pull out some isolated example, but we know in our hearts that that is not the norm. Despite that, I still think arrangers have a place in modern music. Songwriting, OMB's, pre-production mock-ups, home entertainment for the semi-serious amateur, come to mind. But, you're unlikely to see one at Carnegie Hall or featured on a hit album.

So, to Bill's point, I fully agree...and applaud the fact that some like Fran, have an instrument that they like and see no need to upgrade until something comes along that they deem warrants a change (notice, I didn't say 'upgrade', I said 'change'). But to those who truly enjoy the challenge of learning new technology or just like the 'smell of new', I say, more power to you. For those motivated by the hope that newer technology is going to make them a better musician, I say, sorry, that ain't gonna happen.

chas