Chas, I understand that arranger keyboards are plentiful and quite well respected in Europe and other places.
The "pros" who are sitting in my audience wanting my job have no idea what I'm doing. They mostly assume I am doing what they would do in a similar venue, playing along with sequences or karaoke. One guy, who did studio work in Nashville for 25 years, works around town with a vintage Les Paul, AND A CELL PHONE. smile
I have a number of friends, who in their younger days, and some so not younger days, toured with nationally-known stars. They don't disrespect what I do. The sad part is that I can hire any of them for $50. a night. I wouldn't do that but I have done a lot of it for $100. and they are really happy to get it. I'll drop one name, James Burton, who loves to come sit in with me. Of course he doesn't need my money and would be insulted if it were offered.
The wealthy who can afford to be jazz players have my complete respect, but I feel I have theirs as well, if they see me in person. They can tell that I'm playing the keyboard pretty well, despite having to accompany myself in real time with left hand chords.
Just another point of view my good friend! smile