I probably did 20-25 requests last night. Didn't have to Google anything, but there are occasions when I get a request, maybe for a song I sort of know, but don't remember the words. When I have time I will look it up and if I think I can do it, I will. This has often made me an extra $20. If it's something I don't feel I can do justice to, I will wait until break and play an MP3 of it while I go pee. smile
My situation is rather unique though. People are dining and a few get up and dance. For the most part they want to hear memories of good times in their lives. Very seldom do I feel the need to go instantly from song to song, "keeping them on the dance floor". In fact, the guys don't want to stay out there for more than a song or two! We're talking older rich people, as a rule. (I CAN go from song to song with nearly zero time between, but this is not the setting for it most of the time).
I use a very small laptop for lyrics/chords, but sometimes go for an hour or two without looking at it. I also use it to play music on my breaks. I could do all this with the keyboard, but lt makes it easier. I do have about 100 songs set up in my Songbook list on the keyboard. This is just to speed up finding the appropriate style, tempo, etc. They are all songs I KNOW I will be expected to do most nights. They include generic setups for all genres as well.
I tried using a tablet, but as suggested, I believe the real advantage of that would be the apps available, and for the creative side of making music.
At this point in my career I mostly play songs I already know. But if I were younger, I would most likely totally embrace any new technology that added to my craft.
There is a young girl who plays piano and sings at the place I work. She knows some songs from memory, but most of them she reads from an Iphone. She has a list and generally goes from song to song with little fuss. I have seen her spend a couple of minutes looking for a requested song that is "out of order". I suppose her eyes are better than mine, because the phone is lying flat on top of her electric piano and really can't be seen from the audience.
I think mostly what she does is new stuff, because most of them I don't recognize--Adele, Lada Gaga, etc. Most requests from this crowd, she just doesn't know and can't do, because she's never even heard of them. I have a 40+ year experience advantage. Also, since she just plays piano, there is no real "beat" to dance to. As a rule, when she plays the people eat, get up and leave. I am able to keep lots of them hanging around and have an after dinner drink or two. Drinks are about $15. each, so if I can keep them for an extra round that adds up very nicely for the establishment.
I know this is rambling way off topic, but I guess it all is somewhat related. There are so many layers of technology and so many great innovations. We can embrace what aspects that are best suited for what we need, from basic piano to really no limit.
As I sit here thinking about last night, some of the requests come to mind. Might be interesting to some: Fly Me To The Moon, Satin Doll, Stand By Me, Wonderful Tonight, Don't Close Your Eyes, To Make You Feel My Love, Spooky, Marie LaVeaux, Almost Like A Song, The Way You Look Tonight, Long Tall Sally (Her name must have been Sally!), You Are My Sunshine, Unchained Melody, Green Onions... and many more. I think it takes an old person to pull this off! smile
Sorry for rambling Bachus!