Originally Posted By: cgiles
Ummm, I guess it's just me, but it just seems to be getting more and more about the technology and less and less about the music. I just can't imagine a professional entertainer standing in front of an audience scrolling through an iphone looking for a song for five minutes.....or even two minutes. I know some people try to be prepared for any request but I don't think that's realistic (although some pro's have amazing repertories). If you don't know the tune well enough to fake it, 'fess up and move on. I know it's different with a band, but we always had a list of (@200) tunes that we could play 'cold', and if a request wasn't on that list, we would just say no and offer a substitute. I guess the public (or the club owners) are more demanding these days.

Here's another idea; post a sign on the bandstand stating "WE DON'T TAKE REQUESTS".

chas

What point are you rrying to make.... That using ipads on stage makes you a bad player?

A good musician indeed does not require an ipad, when he gets a request, he selects a drumbeat and a sound... And starts playing..

But if you would have taken the time to watch the first video, you would have seen that it was about a top knotch musician using an ipad as an extensions to his instrument to overcome the shortcommings of his instrument...

But then its seems that using technollogy in an innovative performance is way beyound what many of the arranger players will ever archieve, creating music is much more then replaying the tunes one remembers from his youth, if you think using the ipad as an MP3 player is acceptable on a live stage, you are so wrong.. This post about the ipad is all about being creative with music and creating orriginal music and compositions..

And not about using it as an MP3 player or a textreader..

There is a reason workstations and arrangers started loosing sales numbers....... They stopped being innovative.... The true innovation in music is happening on devices that have no onboard keys...

Edited by Bachus (03/01/15 06:22 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net