Originally Posted By: cgiles
I'm not knocking arranger playing BUT, I do think there is a difference between playing an instrument and triggering an electronic event. Both require a certain skill set, including some skills that may be overlapping. In order to sound good, both require musical aptitude, finger/hand dexterity, good reflexes, great timing/rhythm, intense training and practice (although probably more for playing for the instrument), and most importantly, GOOD TASTE (recognizing what does and does not sound good).

We've all seen how an Arranger KB in the hands of say, a Marco Parisi, can provide a very exciting and satisfying musical experience, but I think he'd be the first to say that playing an Arranger in style mode (the reason you bought one in the first place) is not the same as playing a non auto-accompaniment keyboard. So despite the defensive stand (to be expected on a dedicated Arranger KB forum), there are certain truths that can't be denied, and one is that the STIGMA associated with Arranger KB's will probably stick with them (like the aforementioned Edsel) until the bitter end. Sadly, that stigma probably also carries over to the ARRANGER PLAYER as well, at least among his musical colleages.

Personally, being a tech freak and all, I'd like to see how far manufacturers can push the envelope, but I also realize that the more advanced they get technology-wise, the further they'll widen the gap between 'player' and 'computer operator'. In any case, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Anyhoo, what us old codgers SHOULD be concentrating on is, living long enough to see what happens smile.chas

I agree with what you say chas, but perhaps the 'stigma' on the player can be erased somewhat by his/her TALENT coming through ...

Originally Posted By: Dnj
On rare occasions like this I have to agree with you Chas well said you certainly Nailed It, you make very valid points. Especially when you mentioned "Trigerring Electronic Events" is it me or not many seem to understand that's what they are doing with an arranger KB? confused1

But it is my PLAYING that is triggering those electronic events!!! ... if I turn on my Pa900, as 'SMART' as it is, it is as dumb as a rock ... it does NOTHING on its own ... even if I select a style and hit play, nothing changes unless I change it !!!... and how good it sounds is up to me and my imagination - as others have said or implied here - and how I use those "ELECTRONIC EVENTS" ...
Now, am I going to satisfy every type of audience out there with my KB - NO!, but I'm not trying to either ...
And no room thumping DJ is going to satisfy every audience either ... that's why we have options ... and personally, I think as long as options exist, there will be AKB players playing AKBs, and a market for it ... and before to long, WE may be that market !!! ... rolleyes
keys