Actually, I made quite a bit of money doing restaurant gigs...usually substantially more than solo vocalist/arranger players in my area...plus, I didn't have to deal with drunks and over enthusiastic (ignorant/loud/bossy) patrons.

I like the relaxing atmosphere of the restaurant and the freedom to play pretty much whatever I want (usually stuff I already love to play) and the much easier to take lower volume level.

I've done several duo dance gigs (guitar-vocalist or vocalist only) with fairly large audiences (600-800 people), and although it was okay, it isn't for me as a steady diet. I much prefer being in the background yet still sharing my music with others. In fact, I just turned down a duo gig with an expected relatively large audience (400-500 people) as I just prefer quieter settings.

I also do quite well with studio work and making demo tunes for upcoming artists...and 99% is done with just the Tyros4 so my overhead is very low. I have a terrific Electro-Voice RE-15 vintage mic that vocalists just love to use...it's warm with lots of character and the sound is nicely detailed.

To each his own, I suppose. A few of my arranger clients play to large dance crowds but I can take or leave such gigs...I feel lucky to be retired and not need to play solely for the money...I can pick the jobs I know I will like.

Ian