Glad I don't have to please "the masses", rather just a gathering of people who like what I do in most cases.
DNJ, from the photos of your dances you have posted I don't see anyone younger than about 80.
I really can't remember the last time someone criticized my choice of instruments. The out-of-work bands who come to my "gigs" trying to get my job have no clue what is generating the music, but they do see me actually playing and are generally more jealous than judgmental.
If they look up there and see Korg, or Yamaha they often ask what synth I'm using. If they saw Casio they would most likely turn noses up and thumbs down. It's all perception.
I think arranger use by pros, around here at least, is so rare that most people don't know what they are and generally don't care.
If I wanted to sound "just like the record", I would use backing tracks or midi files, but I don't. I mostly keep the styles quite simple, with bass, drums and a piano/and or guitar strum and do all the lead playing and arrangements myself on the fly, in real time.
In case some are not aware, this requires a LOT more talent, dexterity, mental awareness, etc., than just playing an instrument in a band, softly comping until it's time to solo for 8 bars, or doing the same while "playing" with a backing track of some sort.
If they want a DJ, then hire one. I'm a one-man-band!!