Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
lol.... Nice one Domenico...!!!!!

Just ran into a big problem on my end. Allowing the program to actually store the Giga files within the database is not going to work. I'm storing everything attached to the program within a single file and because the files we will be attaching can be anywhere from hundreds of megabytes in size to gigabytes, my database file is too big.

Once you exceed the 4GB mark Windows doesn't like it and the entire system slows down to a crawl. I've even tried to write in a function that limits the database file to 2GB and when you exceed that it creates a second file that can also accept 2GB and so on.... But it's too slow as the files are just too big. Your hard disk will take too long to open and search the database.

So.......

To get around this problem I've had to remove the ability to attach files, but you still won't have to type in paths or file names. I've added a “Get Path” option that pulls in the path to your selected giga file and it populates the relevant fields.

Ultimately it does the same thing, the files are just not attached to the database. They are just sitting in a folder on your hard disk and the program can extract the information it needs when you select the file.

Regards
James

Some clever lateral thinking there James

Seems like a perfectly workable solution. As you say, has the benefit of keeping the file size more compact...And in the end the exact same result is achieved.

Dennis