Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
What type of gigs is everyone doing with this BA330? I know Fran pumps backing dance tracks and two strong singers through his system so I guess he considered the 30 watts, although I still would have to hear it to believe it. I will make it a point to get to the Crabtrap soon. The foods good too Fran -- HA!
Even on a NH gig I do stuff like "Just a Gigolo" with a layered piano/bass in the LH. When i had a BA330 I tried it and other similar tunes and you could hear the speakers strain or as we used to say "fart". The thing maxes out way too soon, especially for the price.
I also noticed Fran has a new $1000 amp for solo stuff and someone else brings a second amp for his LH bass stuff. sooooo?? The BA330 on a pole with a small sub (anyone know of a good one?) would be great but here we are back to two pieces. For the price of those two I would go for a SA300, If I could find one to test.

Bill in NJ

Hey Bill, come on down to the Crab Trap...I am using only the BA330 for my keys and vocals..I have the main volume at 12:00, and the channel volume (of keyboard) at 1:00
My mic channel is at 10:00..
The volume usually around 1-2:00 from my Prelude..
All this works out to about half the volume capability of the BA330...and covers this room fine..

The night you were at Alfies, I had three set ups I was testing that night...The Podiums (1204's) with Edirol mixer..My 25 year old Roland Cubes...and the BA330..

The retail on the Roland Cubes was $800 each in 1985..The Podiums are under $600 for a pair.. and the Roland BA330 under $600 street price..

If I had to only keep one system ..The Roland Cubes would be that choice ..as they have been for over 25 years..

The Podiums now belong to the band (I dumped them.. )..

The BA330 is my go to amp for the restaurant jobs..and small gigs..

When I use the BA330 with my Cubes...it is by far the best sound I have used or heard (I do use the Edirol mixer with the Cubes,..)

Bill I don't recall a $1,000 amp I used at Alfies..Did I mislead you or are you referring to the Cubes...or the Podium 1204's..?

As for left hand bass ..nothing touches the Cubes in that department (15")..

I have said from day one ..the BA330 will not handle real dance music by itself..(need to add a good 12" or 15" powered unit..Mids and highs ..even at 30 watts will cut the mix..Bass you need to feel in your chest won't come from the BA330...or the Bose Compact either..

You mentioned , that you like the bass feel just as I do...I want that big bass at times when I need it...that is why I carry a pair of Cubes with me..for the BIG outdoor gigs or the "dance" floor gigs..

AS mentioned we need to use the right tools for the right job, or expect compromises..