Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
You kind of sidestepped my question, there, Kingfrog...

What WOULD you say to someone that said 'I don't need to listen to a cheap pair of Alesis monitors (or a cheap NT2 mike, or a 'home' keyboard like the T3 ) to be able to tell what it sounds like"?

I don't have to side step. This has happened to me on numerous occasions over the years in many forums on a lot of gear. I have been vilified for my choices, So be it. I don't get all defensive. I get it. I explain why I made a particular choice. If someone tells me (as you have) my gear is terrible I explain why I choose it. Period. I planted a seed. if they want to cultivate it or let it die, I m not offended either way.

Hell I sell the stuff and still don't offer "opinion" on WHAT"S BETTER. I let the customer decide. I get that all the time. "What guitar should I buy?" What sound system should we Buy" The answer is ALWAYS the same. "Let me set your choices up, explain the differences and some features and YOU DECIDE" I would never tell someone what to buy. I bought a Korg PA2x and sold it. I didn't gush about it, recommend people run out and get one. Same with the T3 and now the XS8. Whats good for me is not good for you. That goes ALL the way up the gear food Chain. Hmmmmm do I buy this $3000 Channel Strip or that one??? Well David Foster uses this one so it MUST be good....BS!

"If Don says they are good. they are good"

There are no "Dons" in my world and there shouldn't be in in anyones. Especially when discussing lower budget gear for live use. I have seen too many people (like me and the PA2x) lead people astray with their credibility then quietly abandon the ship they sailed in gloriously on. I don't do it and yes I will question those who do as do you, in most cases, rightfully so.

Quote:
And can you take your own advice? You sure can dish it out.

The fact of the matter is that I'm NOT a 'studio elite' equipment guy. My monitors are modest (824's), NOT über-expensive B&W's or things like that. My mixer is a simple Mackie 1402. My audio interface is a simple MOTU 2408, my keyboards no more advanced than you. Yes, I use some of that high end stuff at the studio, and yes, it DOES make a difference, but not a big enough one that I GOT to have it! My computer is stone age compared to yours. You probably don't want to listen to me tell YOU that you don't need a computer that good to make great music! You need what you need.

I certainly don't have or use elite recording gear. I track though a 1604 (that was used on a previous PA), into a Firebox and now the XS8 which I'm trying to figure out since ASIO will not allow two FW Ports.... I love the Mackie 824s, almost bought them, and they still may be my next monitor. I build my own PCs so they don't cost me anymore than $700 and keep them for at least 4 years. I buy the "sweetspot " components not the TOTL Speed components. I will buy proven quality reputable name brands though. All electronics have a high end low end and the sweet spot, where "bang for the buck" lives.
I bought the XS8 because it cost me less than an XS6, same with the Tyros, otherwise I would be looking at a PSR900 and used ES or Roland WS.

Quote:
You need different tools for different jobs. At the studio, we make product for major labels. They expect it to sound as good as it can. Not simply 'good enough' for a demo, or a bar band CD. At home, I do mostly pre-production and virtual production work, so my needs are more modest. I really don't get too worked up about the gearheads and tech slutz! SOME of them need it for what they do, some don't. I know I don't! But it IS nice to play with when you get the opportunity!

I agree. But my own experience has shown that "producers" and "engineers" at commercial studios will rarely offer positive opinion about anything created on lesser gear. They want you to use their gear. Period Many bash other commercial Studios output as well.

.To genuinely listen in wonderment and compliment (as opposed to patronize) someone's home studio output would be very hard for them to do and justify their expensive gear. I understand that. I gave up trying to please those types a long time ago and concentrated solely on the real target audience. Again I get it.

Quote:
So lighten up a hair. I've got nothing bad to say about your equipment. Don't get so defensive... I was merely trying to point out (as you sidestepped) the inherent contradiction in defending YOUR choice of gear that others would dismiss out of hand, yet dismissing out of hand the decisions of others. You gave those Alesis monitors a chance, when many others wouldn't. So why not give the Podium's a chance..? We are not saying you got to BUY them

Just give them a chance. As you would expect from others about YOUR gear choices.

The bottom line is there are some things that are painfully obvious as you know when you dissed my Alesis Monitors..a few times... and I have to explain EXACTLY why I like them....a few times.LOL I did not take the attitude.."I am me" I am well respected (or should be) therefore they are great and I don't have to explain. LOL

The thing is I DON'T expect others to agree with my gear choices or give them a chance. I don't "sell" my choices, I know better. I REVEAL them. Big difference. I won;t tell a group of people my Monitor Ones are as good as HR824s. LOL Even You have spanked my use of the M1;s on more than one occasion.and I did not even Recommend them!!! LOL

I have never started a thread gushing about Monitors Ones or a Rode NT2 or Joe Meek VCQ1 or Tyros, in a Recording or even a Home Studio Forum. I just won't do it. Anymore then I would recommend everyone go out and buy a Motif XS8 or Tyros. I reveal my choices and IF questioned, I explain why. If another has the SAME needs I may save them some research. We have a pair of Klipsh Pro Media 2.1s on an office use refurbished Dell. I love those things, They would sound great on the T3 I'm sure. Would I consider using them on a gig? Of course not. We would get laughed out of the venue. Hell... The Bose system was a risk in that regard. LOL

There are certain things that affect one's common sensibilities. 8" drivers getting down to 30 HZ at any pace on any chart offends mine. I don;t need any more information .....Alesis Monitor Ones offended yours. Some things simply cannot be just accepted as fact. If its too good to be true ......it usually isn't and all that. And you .I and everyone else are perfectly within our right to question. Thats what forums are about. Not blind acceptance because one has a love affair with someone else's work.

We didn't buy a Yamaha acoustic because Nora Jones plays one....

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-24-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA