Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I bought a StagePas 300 system. And I took it back the next day. It comes nowhere close to sounding as good as even the Logitech Z2200, much less the bigger one--an informed opinion from someone who has owned 'em all, but just an opinion. Also the effects in it were limited and primitive at best.
When I had my little night club, I had two biamped 15 inch Peaveys, with two Toa 18 inch subs and monitors for each side. Since then I've gotten a lot smarter. With today's technology that sort of overkill is just not necessary and not economical. Even with all that power, I didn't play too loud.
As DNJ says, playing music is my "real" job, thanks to arrangers. All the guys working at the local music store look down their noses at me. That's the main reason I don't buy much from them any more. As a rule, they have no idea what arrangers are capable of doing.
Imagine, I'm rarely invited to their Jam nights where they all get together and play for nothing at local clubs (because they can't get a paying job I suppose). Doesn't matter because I'm working five nights a week anyway, and that's the last thing I want to do on Sunday and Monday.
When DNJ was here, we went out to one on Monday night. We stayed maybe four minutes because the music was so loud it was almost painful. I can only assume it's because they damaged their hearing long ago and don't know any better. The point is, in their minds they are pros and I'm stupid because I have a toy keyboard.
This doesn't have much to do with the thread, but that seems to be the norm these days.
The older I get the less tolerance for ignorance I seem to have. Before anyone gets his feelings hurt, ignorance is the lack of knowledge and doesn't mean you are not smart or well-informed in other areas.
I just don't see the point in blindly criticizing things you haven't tried or even heard.
I wouldn't play a big job with a Z2200, and to be honest I haven't used them since getting the Bose, but there are jobs for which they are perfect. Also, those type of jobs seem to pay way more than the ones where you have to play really loud.
I think I'll order a couple of "Fran's" speakers just because they are cheap. If they aren't any good, I'll sell them to DNJ and he can put them on Ebay after a couple of days, or trade them to Fran and put whatever he gets in trade on Ebay after a couple of days.
DonM

Yeah everybody has different ears and concepts of what is good for them for the jobs they take.

I would not expect anyone to purchase anything because I say its good....nor would I do the same on another's word.

The Stagepas isn't for everyone. I sell them and Passports as portable systems but outside of the 500 watt Fender Passport I don't like them either. We personally use the Bose System for everything large and small outside and in. No need for a baby system. Thats the beauty of the Bose for us.

But all I do is demo stuff all day, The customer makes the choice from there. A lot of musical gear cannot and should not be "sold". If a product cannot sell itself, it's Thank you next. Thats how I do business. I show them and answer questions. I don't "sell" anything. Good products do sell themselves. Bad products need to be "sold". When a manufacturer rep has to tell me HOW to sell their product I don't want it. I can take 30 minutes to sell a VOX amp at 25 points or just turn on a Line 6 Jamman, Demo it for 5 minutes and walk away and make more margin for the store.

Same with the PA50 vs the S700
Turn them on and play show and tell and let the customer decide. The Yamaha usually wins on ease of use alone. The secret is KNOW thy products. I don't know jack about Bass guitars, so I call the staff bass player. The acoustic keyboard guy called me over to demo the T3 today. We all work well and since we don't work solely on commission (ok maybe 3-5%) we can hand over a customer without worrying about losing $20 commission on the deal. Its more important the customer speaks with someone who can answer their questions and speak their language.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA