Quote:
Originally posted by rsm2000e:

" Once I fire up my Beringer keyboard amp I'll 'know' what this thing 'really' sounds like."

$300 for their speakers? Please! You can buy a Beringer keyboard amp street price for that price point with 15" woofer, tweeter, eq, oh well, you get my point...

Tell me i did not just read that? A BEHRINGER keyboard Amp is going to reveal; the true sound of the TYROS? You will have more luck with Logitech!! We carry Behringer. Strictly price point product. ROLAND makes a keyboard Amp. The Yamaha Stock Tyros Speakers are better representation of the Tyros then a Beringer amp unless LOUD is the criteria for better. The PAS300 is the next step up as its even Stereo!

Quote:
I guess it all boils down to a fairness issue. You say it's unfair to shop a store and buy elsewhere at a better price. If the brick/mortar guy was even a LITTLE flexible, I would have bought straight away from THEM. I was told that the MAP price was FIRM on the T3 because of 'high demand'. So that's on THE RETAILER. If you know the spread between wholesale and MAP, it's a serious percentage profit! Yes, they have overhead, but you should see the dollar-volume a store like GC does on a given day. It's mind-boggling! Something on the order of Costco!

Another GEM... DO you really think I want to sell 4 Tyros' to make the same as selling ONE waiting for the right buyer. in the mean time using it to sell pallets of PSR S900s?

I would rather use the time (and warehouse space) to sell a $300 Samick and a million other products that turn over far quicker at the SAME margins, rather then spending hours to demo a keyboard for the same dollars a couple of far faster selling cheap guitars would net.

Business 101 - VOLUME does NOT make up for margin over the long run in a small market business.

Maybe at Costco and Walmart and the A&P or 7-11. Not at the local MI store. Even GC is learning Volume sales aren't the ticket. Try to buy at GC lower than MAP nowadays.

The MARGIN between wholesale and map is the same on a PSR 213 and a Clavinova when you conduct business using MARGIN as it should be conducted. Margin is everything. Not dollar spread. Most Fender has the same MAP margins whether $5000 custom shop or $100 Squires. If a dealer is willing to give up margin he probably is in another business with thin margins and is already set up for it and is selling the non mainline gear as a sideline for lower margins yet HIGHER then they are used to. Best Buy saw that as well........Betcha Best Buy will sell at MAP pricing even though in their case, MI will be a sideline business. Betcha Best Buy sales "associates" will have to go running to a "manager" for a $5 discount approval.

In fact from what I see locally they are selling above MAP. We easily beat their prices and have far more flexibility to do so and far more inventory.

Now that said, I will sell well below MAP to a regular customer, an overstock, a floor model, a cash buyer, or if we are not renewing a line, need to make room for a new line and MAP no longer is relevant.

IE What Seattle Music is doing with their Gibson product in Ebay right now since they too dropped the line. There are a few things that buyers have to pay up for for local support or they can buy off the Internet and take their chances to save the tax. We don't compete with low ball sellers. The masses don't know who they are. Its not Sweetwater Sound. LOL. But Thats the reason for MAP policy. Without MAP NO local stores would exist. Manufacturers are not that stupid to think everyone will people will buy sight unseen on line. MAP protects the brick and Mortar Stores. Its not "price fixing" We can sell anything for any price we choose. We cannot ADVERTISE those prices though Our computers all have Internet and I look everything up with the customer. Keep in mind successful businesses and products don't HAVE to be deeply discounted. Only unsuccessful ones in trouble needing every dollar in cash flow to to make a note payment stay afloat go into that death spiral.

Who works harder for the same money the Chevy Salesman of the BMW Salesman? Who HAS to discount more? Which company is more successful? Treat BMWs like Chevys and no one will want a BMW .

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 02-08-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA