Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Isn't the bottom line, when entertaining a senior residence NOT what YOU are doing but how is the audience RESPONDING to what you are doing? If you're lip-syncing, or you're playing the same songs all the time, or you're letting MIDI files wander mindlessly all over the room while you read the sports page, or doing bench presses with your keyboard, etc, does it really matter as long as the audience is being well entertained? Isn't the primary mission of an entertainer to please the audience and second to entertain everyone that's left (including all AD's)?

Yes, I'm playing Devil's advocate! In reality, I have no respect for the entertainers Bill described here. But I also have to go with....if the residents are happy with what they're hearing then THAT is what matters in theory.

I throw this out as fodder for remarks from other members about how they see our role as musician/entertainers? Do you please the Activity Director, do you please the onlookers, do you please yourself, do you please your peers, do you please your Higher Power...or...as in this case...do you please your audience?

Lucky

I agree with this assessment. Unless the audience is complaining, I would not change a thing. The idea is to hire an entertainer. Someone who MOVES the audience. I guess it comes down to the contract. Did the performer sell himself as a live singer?

The bottom line is the audience. Some of those who hire musicians don;t realize that though. If one guy is playing on 61 keys and a 20 piece orchestra is coming out of the speakers could that be considered "musical lipsyncing"?

E N T E R T A I N M E N T.......Thats the bottom line. Standing on your head whistling Dixie or playing a Ukulele singing Top Toe Through the Tulips and making a Career out of it...Entertainment.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 11-02-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA