Bill, I think it is dangerous territory to offer up opinions to those in charge of hiring and firing other "entertainers"..

What goes around..comes around...

I don't know why that fella lip synced..but he may have had a justified reason...

I have seen first hand (my own band)..where at the end of the night ..my lead male vocalists lost his voice..and the audience expected to hear his signature tunes...At my suggestion..he lip synced to a previous recording [his voice over}...Not a person in the room knew..I even polled people I knew..after the show...

The key word is "entertainer"...and the show must go on!!!

The most important part of entertaining at nursing homes..is not how great you perform...or pleasing the AD..or pleasing other "fellow" performers...Your job is to "entertain" the residents..take them away from the daily grind..to a happy place ..if only for an hour..
This can include quality music, but without sincere interaction with your audience..it is empty..

The residents want to feel good..They want the interaction with a friendly face (even a pretty face.. )..They want you to recall them by name..and know you to be a friend..they want you to be a genuine person first....more than a great player...

BTW: be sure to be up front with the AD..that you aren't really playing all those great parts coming out of the arranger...or that great SMF..that made you sound like a "super star"...

I think you get my meaning..

Stay out of the politics....don't get caught up with knocking down other "entertainers"...there will always be someone else..better than us....I hope they keep quiet..