Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

If you want to see/feel what an 88 note Tyros2 would be like, just go and spend some time playing a Yamaha CVP-409,(the Roland aficionados can try the KR-series).

In my opinion, the weighted keys are superb for PIANO, but are really clunky for other sounds, especially organ, Saxes or other instruments where a lighter action would be desirable.

Ian

I haven't played the CVP-409 but I thought the CVP-309 was superb for not only Piano parts but other instruments as well. Of course, I've been told I have really strong hands (must be from years of construction type work I did I suppose ) so I experienced no fatigue or trouble playing any of the CVP-309's sounds including piano. But that is the catch. The weighted action has to be such that it provides the perfect blend for playing piano parts and all the other sounds too. I'm sure Yamaha could accomplish such a feat in an 88 note TOTL arranger. If they could plunk in a CVP-309 or other similar action keybed without making the overall weight too extreme, I for one, would be happy. But I have no inkling if Yamaha will undertake such a feat. Even if Yammie won't consider an 88 fully weighted TOTL arranger I hope one of the other manufacturers will venture out and build one down the road in the near future.

It also may be possible at this juncture in time to make a fully weighted keybed without traditional weights but rather instead use some sort of torsion/tension or other technology that would allow a person to adjust the keybed from a heavier weighted action feel or a lighter synth action feel either electronically or perhaps manually with some type of knob, etc. I'm sure the manufacturers, whether Yamaha, Korg, or Roland or some others have already considered this or are now in the process of creating such a thing. It may be top secret and consequently nothing has been leaked about it yet. But if we the consumers are talking about something like this in the public arena I would think keyboard manufacturing engineers have also discussed it too no doubt.

Best,
Mike