Quote:
Originally posted by RicFreak:
First of all, seems that Liontracs people forget that most of the keyboard player are not programmers, nor want they become programmers.

Most linux users are not programmers either. There is this common misconception here that linux is an OS for programmers, which
is not reality. You can install software, configure it and run it just like you do in Windows or Mac, and this is why they are using Red Hat. There is even great tools for updating your software from internet, so you
could get the audio software running on the mediastation updated to newer and more featured versions without purchasing more expensive models.

Quote:

Moreover, if I properly understood their messages, they will use a customized Red Hat version... well, if Liontracs will ever go out of businness, how many people in the world will be able to support this software?

Well, look, first of all any product has a given lifetime. You dont see yamaha supporting the SYs, or roland supporting the junos. But since this seems to use all standard opensource components, many of which are mantained independently, your mediastantion will continue to be improved with time even if lionstracs goes out of business.

Quote:

BTW the number of developers worldwide is much bigger for windows than for linux, and so are the development environments.

For your information, the opensource movement is based on communities of such mangitude that windows does not posess.

Quote:

Another consideration: like it or not, Microsoft is a big company, that will last for many years from now, much more than any of us; I don't know what will happen with linux

Open Source software does not perish, due to its openness. If the mediastation was based on microsoft products, it could never be as customizable.

Quote:

Then, the price. 6000$ (well 5000$ + taxes) is a big amount. Too big! With those money in my pocket now, I'll run to buy both an arranger and a workstation, without regrets not doubts.

Really? lets see how you manage to carry all that to a performance or a studio.

Quote:

But who will pay 5000$ (+ taxes) for being their experimenter-debugger-developer (and, maybe, victim)? Because there will be a lot of bugs inside there, no doubts! They can be the best programmers of the world, but bugs will still be present for a while.

This makes no sense. Even if bugs allways exist (heck even my Roland XP has bugs and crashes from time to time) they are professional developers. This is about bringing a product to the end-user which will come well documented, with all the necesary manuals, etc. Linux is just the OS it's based on, it's customized and it's open (even Yamaha uses linux for their advanced workstations and)

Quote:

I can buy the new KORG arranger AND the new Yamaha Motif for that amount... should I say more?

I should.. I dont think they are the same kind of product. I think the nice thing of the mediastation is that you are getting good sound synthesis and sequencing plus all the apps you can install with no modification on it. So you can also have a sampler of the quality of giga or halion, or software synthesizers of the quality of reaktor, fm7 or DAWs at the level of protools all running together in the same machine.