Most people bitching about weight here don't use big workstations for the same reason. Try lifting my K2500 (only a 76-er!) if you want to make a G70 seem light! If you want a QUALITY action, and loads of high quality knobs and sliders, and stability (can't play well while your keyboard bounces around!), weight is the price you pay.

There are well documented problems with many ultra-lightweight 76 and 88 note keyboards, because of the flexing issue. If you support them just right, no problem, but put them on the wrong X-stand and notes stick or fail to trigger accurately. No decent pianist would EVER put up with a piano that bounced! Or B3 player. You are supposed to PLAY the keyboard, not chase it around on stage!

If you LIKE flimsy buttons and keys, there's always the T2....

I'm sorry, Tony, but by the time you got all the knobs and buttons and displays from my G70 into a module, it would be nearly as big as the real thing. Most modules get around this by making the buttons too small (or menu-ing up a lot more). Plus, there is a little thing called ergonomics. There is a reason why some buttons are near your right hand, and some near your left...

What I don't understand is why this generation of keyboard players is the first to be unable to lift 30 lbs or more.... There was no option to do this 20 yrs ago, and yet most kept working! I remember seeing Fender Rhodes's and even Hammonds lugged around by players in their 50's and even 60's (that's why you have kids!) but todays senior citizens want helium-like keyboards, and then bitch about how flimsy and unreliable they are!

Piano players, at least, seem to understand that bounce is the death of control.

-----------------------------------------------

BTW, Tony, I used to play the old Sheffield Tiffany's back in the late 70's before I moved to the States. Is it still there? I used to play in Mecca bands in Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham/Coventry back in the days when they hired ten-piece bands (and sometimes two bands a night!). Ahhhh, the good old days.....