Bob,
The first musical instrument was a flute, putting drums aside. The flute maker made holes so that you would be able to change the note as you are blowing. He continued drilling the holes in different places until it sounded good to his EAR, then the created written music so we would understand what the flute was playing. Note, the ear came first.

Years back you would not have been popular if you played a Bb note against a G chord, it was a no, no. The jazz musician and the men in the black bands were led by what they felt, and that is what music is all about. That is like playing a G major chord while the other guy is playing Gm chord. Wow, how could that work? Without that Bb there would not be Jazz, Dixie, or Rock and Roll music. What a joy to play your instrument with less rules and more freedom. None of this applies to the classical musician they must played what they read.

Having said all that I feel it is a good idea to bring different subjects that deal with our keyboards and our music – But let no person feel as though they have THE answer, what we have is how opinions, what we have chosen to OUR fact. No limitations hear, I would like to hear it all.

This forum is about our keyboards but it is equally about sharing and having a place to go to be connected let no one destroy that, myself included.

A true C7-9 chord does not change the C note to a C# note. It takes the 9th note of the scale and makes a half step lower. Because we do not have enough fingers most will change the C to C#, then we call it a C7-9 chord but in reality without the C note, the root, we are now playing a diminished chord, C# dim. None of this applies to two hand playing, or bass pedals.

I would love to see a thread on chord progressions, it is important to a player who looks for freedom and understanding song structure. It also helps memorization of songs.

The sun is strong here in Florida today, nice, , John C.