Most guitar players, if they have gone a bit below the surface, have a good understanding of chords and chord progressions.
1-Piano player -- Ten fingers
2-Organ players – Ten Fingers and One foot.
3-Our group, depending on how we are set up, will have Ten fingers or five, (Left hand).

Since a 13th chord has seven notes (1 3 5 b7 9 11 13) the players who have Ten fingers can, but do not, use all 13 notes. As a guitar player I can only play 6 notes having only six strings.

The question; --- Which ones shall I play?

1—Root – It is important. It set the foundation of the chord.
III – The third -- It is very important, it tells us that the chord is major minor.
5 – The fifth -- Not very important
bV7 – Flatted seventh – The seventh tells us about the key we are in or going to. C Maj7 is part of the key of C major. C7, sometimes refers to as C dominate 7th, belongs to the key of F Major. So C7 and Cmaj7 are very different.
9 – The ninth -- A tone for an effect
11 – The Eleventh – Also a tone for effect
13 – The Thirteenth – Also a tone for effect

I need the 3rd, and the 7th, and possibly the root, and then the color tone. The color tone is the tones are the 9 11, and 13th. For a G13th chord I play;
G B F E, G = the root B = the third F = the b7th E = the 13th.

Larry mentioned, chords in both hands. A different game, more flexibility, a far better opportunity to voice a better chord. Left hand plays the C7 chord. C, E, G, Bb, and the right hand can add color tones, or leading tones.

Please excuse me, this is a bit long, when I get into this subject I lose myself. Somewhere in the KN7000 you can select having the chord play only the root. (I think, it’s been a long time)

John C.