Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Keyboards are YAMAHA KX88 mother ; YAMAHA SY77 - both midi-ed to an EMU sampler and a Korg Trinity on top with Roland PK5 bass pedals."

Ian

Do you know what the bass pedals are midied to? You've got to get the sustain just right on the bass patch (usually acoustic bass) when you play 'toe only' (heel and toe is nearly impossible with spinet pedals).
Speaking of visuals, that's the other thing that Alan and others like him bring to the table; from a musical perspective, they're fun to watch. There is little doubt about who's doing what. Of course, it depends on whether the audience came to see an entertainer 'entertain' or hear a musician 'play'. As usual, different strokes for different folks.

chas

I'm guessing, but the bass is probably from the Emu sampler or, it might be a bass tone from the SY-77, which has a wicked acoustic bass...the same one that was in the DX-7 and used on thousands of recordings.

I've been a fan of Alan's for quite some time, and he never fails to inspire me to play (or attempt) the arrangements he puts together.

Having that total freedom away from full auto-accompaniment sure makes a difference, especially in jazz and probably blues as well. He can change directions (such as go into double time) at will, something you can't do very easily with a style, although I have a few homemade custom jazz ballad styles that will allow me to do that to some extent.

Watching Alan play, he manages to make it look almost easy...the bass line is the glue in his case...witness when he's playing very little right or left hand. Also, his brass and string phrases are amazing and he changes between keyboards very smoothly, even more noticeable when he's playing behind a singer. It's hard to believe he gets so much orchestration...almost sounds multi-tracked at times.

I find it harder playing full piano with bass pedals than I do with double keyboard (or organ) manuals...go figure. It's like my left hand is in the wrong place, or at the wrong angle.

Ian

PS...this is real nice...