This idea was suggested by a friend but I blew the idea off until it really hit me how powerful a composing workstation it would be to use a Korg MicroArranger as a controller for an iPad. I have an iPad 3 loaded with Caustic, Gadget, Auria, Garage Band and more and I've been looking for the right MIDI keyboard to use with it. Not only does that MA work as a MIDI controller but it's music stand perfectly and firmly holds the Alesis IO Dock II and I can plug the audio output from the Dock to the MA. This will allow me to create scratch ideas on the MA and use either the MA sequencer or a sequencer on the iPad to flesh the songs out. I can also freely substitute sounds on the iPad with those on the MA. No need to hook up separate speakers. Snap!

I really like the stereo grand piano sound on the MA and I am getting used to the minikeys although I have several fullsize keyboards I can also use as controllers. The main thing is that the MA/IO Dock/iPad combo gives me a small but feature-packed workstation that I can use anywhere, especially on vacation. And it's inspiring to assemble something like this to see what it's potential is. Just thought I'd share.