I get around the sameness in styles by editing, usually fairly extensively...I have a folder with donor styles that have interesting parts like string phrases and piano/guitar chording. I've also used converted styles from other manufacturers, mostly Korg; many of their styles have really nice donor parts due to being programmed over 8 bars or more.

Jazz styles are especially challenging to keep interesting.

However, sometimes you want styles (or at least parts of them) to be very repetitive, depending on the goal and genre.

All my custom styles are programmed over 8 bars or more, and I usually reprogram the three Intros to be available as extra Variations (able to play chords over them) and stop/fills rather than the easily identifiable factory programmed parts. It's also possible to use phrases and parts from styles from different genres by using the Groove & Dynamics feature in Yamaha's Style Creator to mold them into shape.

I don't play bass pedals as often as I should, I suppose...I have access to them, as we use them in the studio for several purposes, often as switches for functions on keyboards. Like Bill, I don't have the speed I used to have years ago, which is why playing Bebop and fast jazz/swing is much more fun (and sane) using styles, especially if I can reprogram with interesting bass lines.

To me, the bass line is the most important part of the style, even before the drums...I can play a style without drums, but if it doesn't have a bass line, it just seems to have no direction or foundation, especially if I am using alternate root chords (slash chords).

Arps are cool, but, at least for now, and for the genres I am playing, I don't find them as flexible as one of my own reprogrammed styles with at least 6 Variations, and additional parts can easily be added using Multipads, so I haven't seen the need for a Motif or an MOXF...I think Karma would be fun, but again, I don't intend to invest in more gear unless I have a specific need for it.

Ian