Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Keyboards are YAMAHA KX88 mother ; YAMAHA SY77 - both midi-ed to an EMU sampler and a Korg Trinity on top with Roland PK5 bass pedals."

Ian

Do you know what the bass pedals are midied to? You've got to get the sustain just right on the bass patch (usually acoustic bass) when you play 'toe only' (heel and toe is nearly impossible with spinet pedals). I had one of the first (aftermarket) sustain units on my old C3. It had TOO much sustain and never sounded convincing with the Hammond bass pedal tones. Not many guys played pedals, most being converted piano players (including Jimmy Smith) and the 'left-hand bass' with an 'attact' pedal hit (usually 'A') became the order of the day. A few, like Groove Holmes and Don Patterson, could actually play pedals but they were the exceptions. I almost always doubled the left-hand bass with the pedals which allowed me to use my left hand to more easily work the drawbars and 'comp' when required. After years and years, it becomes almost automatic. At this stage, arthritis has me only doing pedals on slow tunes. Oh well.

As for Alan getting boring after a bit, that can happen with anyone unless you're a hard-core fan (I am, btw). That's why Rock concerts are mostly show and short on substance. The only entertainer I've ever seen that didn't get at least a little bit boring after awhile was James Brown. If you could sleep through a James Brown show, you've probably got a sleep disorder smile.

Speaking of visuals, that's the other thing that Alan and others like him bring to the table; from a musical perspective, they're fun to watch. There is little doubt about who's doing what. Of course, it depends on whether the audience came to see an entertainer 'entertain' or hear a musician 'play'. As usual, different strokes for different folks.

chas