There's almost no work in my area for larger bands - even the best wedding bands. I know several top bands that a decade ago played a wedding nearly every weekend. Now, if they get one a month they feel it's a blessing. OMB entertainers pretty much have the Baltimore restaurant circuit tied up, most making less than $150 for a 4 hour job. Some make $100 or less.

The senior circuit nursing homes, assisted living centers, retirement communities, senior centers, etc..., pay $100 to $150 per hour for OMB entertainers, arranger keyboard players that can sing, and provide a very diverse song list ranging from big band to late 70s.

So, where do the DJs and KJs fit in the scheme of things? From what I've observed they're tightly lodged in the American Legions, VFWs and animal clubs. Most of those that I know personally, tell me they're making about $150 to $175 for a 4-hour job, work weekends only and many tell me their audiences have dwindled significantly over the past two years. Some feel the KJ biz may be falling to the wayside within the next few years.

The DJs seem to be entrenched in the wedding biz, but because the competition is extremely high in this economy, their prices are falling. Just 5 years ago wedding DJs were in high demand at the larger halls and commanding prices to $1,200 for a large wedding. Now they're down to about $350 to $450 for the same size wedding at the same halls.

Just my personal observations in my part of the world. Your experiences may differ, and I would really like to read about them.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)