I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to styles. I want that song I perform to sound as close to the original as possible. I want that intro to be spot on, the variations to accentuate the song as it progresses toward the end, the right hand instruments to have the effects used in the original song, and the ending to be as close as possible to the original. The only thing different, of which I have absolute control, will be my vocals.

Last night, under the stars at the marina Tiki Hut, I performed for nearly three hours, during which time I provided the audience with a huge variety of music. When I utilized the keyboard's onboard styles I played my own intros and endings, performed a half-dozen Jimmy Buffett tunes, none of which used the same style. Each style was unique to that song.

When I performed At Last everyone knew what song I was playing after the first seconds of the intro. Same was true with Bad Leroy Brown, Stand By Me, New York - New York, Old Time Rock & Roll, etc..., they're all distinctive. I don't want every cha cha to sound the same as the one I played an hour ago - I want that variation outside the variations within the style itself.

There are a huge number of performers down here in Paradise, all competing for the meager dollars paid in the lowest pay scale area of the United States. Many play for $50 a night - yep, 3 to 4 hours for $50. Most are guitar strummers with a small, tinny sound system, a Shure SM58 mic, the guitars are usually acoustic with some sort of pick-up, and most of them sing. They tend to perform a variety of songs, but after 20 minutes, each of those songs begins to sound the same as the last song they played. The reason behind this is they tend to use the same strumming technique with each and every song. Granted, they'll change the beat a bit, and some use drum machines, but in many respects it's like the guys using arranger keyboards and the same dozen styles for every job.

So, last night I began playing at 6 p.m. to an audience of just 2 people. On this particular evening there were bands playing everywhere on the island. There was lots of competition on the island's music circuit last night, some that had been heavily advertised. While the night began to look like a practice session, within a half-hour I had 50 people at the Tiki Hut, all of which said they had began their evening at other locations. Most stayed until 9 p.m. and said they wished they had come earlier. There were lots of great comments this morning about the quality of the music and the variety, most asking if I would be performing again next Saturday evening. I love my job. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)