I can see where having the style as close to the one of the song can be important, especially if you are doing clubs, so in that situation, I'd say you'd probably be more in the majority, Gary.

I stopped doing bars and clubs over 20 years ago, and probably because I'm a non-drinker (and non-smoker, although smoking is outlawed here in bars), I grew tired of the whole scene, and quite frankly, do not miss it at all.

My specialty has been background music, and amateur video soundtracks; it suits me to a "tee", and my arranger fits the role perfectly.

However, I can't imagine only using a dozen styles for a restaurant job, unless it was to make a CD, where there would be a dozen songs, but, because I do not do vocals, and play instrumentalss, I'll try and give standard tunes a different spin, including sometimes, different chord progressions (I rarely change the basic melody, except when improvising solos) and of course, using a different style, sometimes even changing the time signature by substituting, for example, a Slow Jazz Ballad for a 3/4 English Waltz.

For some reason, it all works very well for me, although, I must say, I am very careful with my arrangements and spend a lot of time getting them right, much the same as I do with my own styles.

But, I do understand very well, your situation, Gary, having been there myself, and having watched people scamper to the dance floor immediately upon hearing the familiar intro to Seger's "Old Time Rock And Roll", or Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" I really do get the importance of song specific styles.

I just don't use them nearly as often.

Ian